PDA

View Full Version : looking for arid climate boot rec

mattjmcd
07-31-09, 17:19
I am looking for a decent mid or standard height hiking boot, suitable for both hot, dry conditions and rucking 40+lbs.

I am somewhat familiar with most major brands, and currently have Asolos. I am sorta leaning that way again since they are one of the few outfits who seem to make a backpacking boot without GoreTex. I think I'd like to avoid GoteTex if possible. I think that I *do not* want anything like a basic GI desert combat boot. I have a low arch and a slightly wide, mid-volume foot.

Any ideas?

Cold Zero
07-31-09, 19:10
Merrill Saw Tooth, has no Gore tex liner and gives good arch and ankle support for hiking with moderate loads. Pretty cheap too.:eek:

kmrtnsn
07-31-09, 19:56
Keen's Voyageur Mids

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/fw09/shoes/men/trailhead/voyageur%20mid/brindle%20-%20inca%20gold

mattjmcd
07-31-09, 21:01
I really like Keen products. I have several pairs of the gladiator tacticool combat sandals. However, I think that the boots are light-duty kit, at least wrt load carrying etc. Build quality is good, of course.

The Sawtooth rec seems okay, iff the boot provides enough support for a fairly heavy pack. Any thoughts?

kmrtnsn
07-31-09, 21:11
I've had my eye on the Lowa Elite Desert Boot for heavier applications. You might take a look at those.

Cold Zero
07-31-09, 22:21
The Sawtooth rec seems okay, iff the boot provides enough support for a fairly heavy pack. Any thoughts?

I have used the above in Alaska, with a 40 lb. pack and they performed very well. If going above tree line, or climbing, then a Mountaineering boot is in order.