PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Camelbak Delta 5 Vest?

Rated21R
08-01-09, 02:41
http://www.camelbak.com/government-military/hydration-packs/delta-5-tactical-vest.aspx

Just wondering what folks thought of this?

-102 oz (3.1L) OMEGA Water Beast Reservoir with HydroGuard
-MOLLE attachments for CamelBak pouches and zip-cuffs
-Ambidextrous, no-slip butt stock seating
-Ambidextrous metal sling/accessory attachment points
-Velcro for ID and patches
-Heavy-duty, low-profile drag handle
-Dimensions: 20 in x 24 in x 1.5 in
-Weight: Empty Reservoir - 2.4Ibs (1.08 kg) - Filled Reservoir - 8.7 Ibs (3.92 kg)

Read some reviews and it seems like a good idea, might need a bit of tweaking.

Reddevil
08-01-09, 02:48
I worked with a SWAT medic that had one and she seemed to like it a lot. This was a couple years ago before all the other options were out, though.

TimW
08-02-09, 14:15
They aren't bad, but with people migrating to chest rigs over the past couple years, I've sold only a handful of them. The only things I really didn't like when I tested one were the material on the back (next to the wearer) being packcloth (got all sweaty) and the shoulder adjustments are intern and a little bit of a pain to get to.

YVK
08-02-09, 23:35
I have one and it works reasonably well. One issue is that the side adjustment straps block access to holster mounted on primary belt. You either need to remove the strap or use a drop holster.

Outlander Systems
08-13-09, 14:23
My gripe with the vest is the low-cut chest. I'm not trying to show off any man-cleavage; I want as much MOLLE space as possible, without sacrificing movement.

The shoulders have a tendency to bunch up at times.

Other than that, it's an awesome vest.

It's very cool to wear, and the mesh has a lot of flexibility, which makes it an overall cozy wearing piece of kit.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2zhi4vc.jpg

I sold mine, but it's a solid performer overall. I just prefer to get as much MOLLE Real-Estate as possible. I've since gone with a plate carrier for more space.

Audacia77
08-25-09, 09:28
Worst part is if you got shot, you'd spill your drink!

First time I saw this I thought it would take off. A CamelBak built into a vest, sounds like a winner to me! I never thought of getting one cause I didn't know anyone who had one or ever got a chance to check one out personally.

In '03 - '04 anything with CamelBak on it was getting bought up at the PX. It was the must have item for OIF. It's just too bad that they didn't capitalize on the opportunity and improve their vest with variations. They could have made it a whole new division.

TimW
08-25-09, 10:26
Other than colors, how much variation can you do with a MOLLE-based vest that doesn't involve making an entirely different vest?

Audacia77
08-25-09, 14:17
Sorry about that Tim, I was on the last 30 minutes of a 12 hour work day and started to babble without thinking it all the way through. I should have been a little more clear. CamelBak could have started with the Vest, then followed up with a plate carrier and then possibly follow up with a chest rig platform with an integrated CamelBak in the back. Maybe do some joint projects with HSGI, Diamondback, Eagle, etc. CamelBak has made so great products, I picked up 5 different packs and have a slew of their accessories. I just thought that given the standard of their products, a plate carrier/chest rig could have been right up my ally.