PDA

View Full Version : Any Land Rover Defender owners in here?

IPSC_GUY
08-01-09, 13:59
I am looking at a Land Rover for a 4X4 vehicle and the 110 (with a 300 TDI) is on the short list. I am curious to know what anyone who owns one thinks of them? Capabilities? Maintenance? Actual usability as an off road vehicle? On road use and towing as well.

Overall impressions?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

kmrtnsn
08-01-09, 14:13
I have wanted a 110 since I was six years old, although at my age now I think I could live without the zebra paint scheme I wanted then! Good luck!

IPSC_GUY
08-01-09, 14:42
Well the 1983 and 1984 models are now importable due to their 25 plus year age. With the fact that the 90 and 110s are modular body construction i.e. NOT a unibody they can be completely disassembled and reassembled with simple hand tools.

Me personally I am looking for a left hand drive rover in good shape. Alas the 500 1993 NAS models are all prohibitively expensive, plus they were gas not diesel.

Yeah I completely understand the want of a Rover. Mine stems from the Gulf war when I watched the British 7th Armored Brigade vehicles came ashore at Al Jubal before the war started. In the desert I saw them go places our HUMMVEs were getting stuck. The idea of a Zebra paint scheme is pretty damn cool. Personally all I want is flat tan but will easily settle for white, but that is just me.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-01-09, 14:53
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/

Have fun wasting a day drooling over all their conversions and updates. That ECR guy seems to have OCD when it comes to restores.

As for price, buy a Wrangler Unlimited, whack that one out, buy another as a spare in case the first one breaks, and then buy another one for spare parts just for giggles.

I consider these as "Lottery Cars", though I like the 110s. They still make 110 type models and sell them around the world, and there were rumors of bringing them here. It will be interesting to see what Tata does with Land Rover. Might be a good way to bring back Land Rover purists to the brand. Toyota is dropping the FJ, who knows what Fiat will do with Jeep.

There was a recent Pimp my Ride on TV where they did some yoga ladies D90.

Here are some for sale. I didn't see a price, almost "If you have to ask..."

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/index.html

Looking at getting a white Jeep Unlimted and painting the roof white. No more suicide inward facing seats on cars anymore :( .

Army Chief
08-01-09, 15:35
No, but it is uncanny that you should bring it up, as I've been looking at Defender 90s (1997s, mostly) for the past several weeks, and am seriously considering selling my M3 and making the move to a Defender. Have a few leads, but I'm not sure my timing is quite right -- we'll see.

AC

ZDL
08-01-09, 15:36

LOKNLOD
08-01-09, 15:38
Toyota is dropping the FJ, .

When? Where? Source?

On topic,
If you can afford a Defender, more power to you. Awesome rigs and some of the best looking rigs ever put on the road, I think. But the price, availability, and potential maintenance issues relegate them to rich-guy enthusiast vehicles in my book.

IPSC_GUY
08-01-09, 15:40

Have fun wasting a day drooling over all their conversions and updates. That ECR guy seems to have OCD when it comes to restores.

As for price, buy a Wrangler Unlimited, whack that one out, buy another as a spare in case the first one breaks, and then buy another one for spare parts just for giggles.

I consider these as "Lottery Cars", though I like the 110s. They still make 110 type models and sell them around the world, and there were rumors of bringing them here. It will be interesting to see what Tata does with Land Rover. Might be a good way to bring back Land Rover purists to the brand. Toyota is dropping the FJ, who knows what Fiat will do with Jeep.

Here are some for sale. I didn't see a price, almost "If you have to ask..."

Looking at getting a white Jeep Unlimted and painting the roof white. No more suicide inward facing seats on cars anymore :( .

I have poured over the East Coast Rovers site at length. Nice indeed. The custom roll cages page was quite interesting. As for the 110 being a lottery car, yeah I agree but... I still WANT one and where there is will there is a way. Just gotta find the right one.

At least this isn't a Ferrari obsession.

Perhaps a myth but the finicky nature, lack of parts, and difficulty of working on them have made my gaze from afar only. Would love for someone to educate me otherwise.

There are some parts people around. The production numbers on the 110 is something I am still trying to find.

When? Where? Source?

On topic,
If you can afford a Defender, more power to you. Awesome rigs and some of the best looking rigs ever put on the road, I think. But the price, availability, and potential maintenance issues relegate them to rich-guy enthusiast vehicles in my book.

I am REALLY HOPING to do this with out the rich-guy enthusiast aspect. CROSS FINGERS ! ! !

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

LOKNLOD
08-01-09, 15:57
I am REALLY HOPING to do this with out the rich-guy enthusiast aspect. CROSS FINGERS ! ! !

Best of luck! A decked out 110 would be the ultimate "show up to a class/match" truck.

On another side note...

That is wrong on so many levels. I'd like the find the person responsible and see to it that they are skullfawked with a red-hot fire poker.

ZDL
08-01-09, 15:58

Let's talk about why you would stick around long enough to find out this amount of details........... :o

landrvrnut22
08-01-09, 17:43
Don't own a Defender but own 4 Series trucks, a 62, 69, 70, 73. The 62 I imported from Scotland, the others are NADA trucks.

Defenders are great vehicles, and capable in their own right. They have the british quirks of fiddly Lucas electrics, and fair reliability.

The 300TDI is good motor, with some good grunt. It's not the best motor, but does it's job.

Here's the problem. The motor is not approved for importation to the US. You can bring the motor in, you can bring the truck in, but you can't bring it in as one unit. So you import a truck less running gear, and import a refurbed motor, and have someone connect all the bits. So you have $15-20k for the truck you want. But get caught by the EPA, and you are looking at $10k+ in fines, and destruction of the truck.

It can be done, and has been done. But people have been caught, and faced the consequences.

I am in the process of converting my 62 from a little Ford v6 to Cummins 4BT. Any more questions, let me know.

ZDL
08-01-09, 17:55

30 cal slut
08-01-09, 19:11
money and maintenance PITS.

if you like to tinker with cars, great.

if not ... EJECT EJECT EJECT.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-01-09, 19:22
On the FJ- I had seen rumors about its demise, but I googled it and didn't come up with much. Maybe the'll build them till they don't sell of CAFE makes them quit.

The pimped D90 was a hot yoga chick from Germany, dig the accent. They painted it, and then drilled it for the snorkel. The ECR guys must think that episode is their personal hell.

Seems like there are NAS 110 models out there that are somewhat reasonable, but they are in rough shape and I don't need the hobby of learning English wiring. I would think spares would be available, overseas if nothing else.

As someone mentioned, the earlier body styles are getting in under the 25 year thing now, but I haven't looked at that since before it happened.

If I understand correctly, due to European rules, the new 110s are being mangled just like the SUVs over here.

Check out the Defenders over in England:

http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/vehicles/defender/overview.htm

A 110 Station Wagon is 25450#s, or $42,476. It doesn't look like that are many if any options, but I would think that includes VAT? A loaded Rubicon is like $36k. I forgot what the safety/emmission issue is.

The German site has the 110 Station Wagon at E25,000 (Excl 19% MwSt ?), and is LHD.

I wonder if us talking about Land Rovers, is like the ROver forum guys talking about guns.

Group Buy?

Euro only. Frankly guys, I'd trade my ARs for a 110. The Defender would get me laid more.

IPSC_GUY
08-01-09, 19:42
Don't own a Defender but own 4 Series trucks, a 62, 69, 70, 73. The 62 I imported from Scotland, the others are NADA trucks.

Defenders are great vehicles, and capable in their own right. They have the british quirks of fiddly Lucas electrics, and fair reliability.

The 300TDI is good motor, with some good grunt. It's not the best motor, but does it's job.

Here's the problem. The motor is not approved for importation to the US. You can bring the motor in, you can bring the truck in, but you can't bring it in as one unit. So you import a truck less running gear, and import a refurbed motor, and have someone connect all the bits. So you have $15-20k for the truck you want. But get caught by the EPA, and you are looking at $10k+ in fines, and destruction of the truck.

It can be done, and has been done. But people have been caught, and faced the consequences.

I am in the process of converting my 62 from a little Ford v6 to Cummins 4BT. Any more questions, let me know.

I read on the ECR site that it was 21 years what the EPA went back to. Was the 300 TDI not available in 84 or 83?

Is this dependent on a state emissions check? I am not trying to skirt the rules here I am just trying to understand them.

What is the Cummins 4BT like?

By the way the idea of someone crushing a Land Rover 110 is right up there with cutting up guns... Great Googly Moggly ! ! ! !

Thanks,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

randolph
08-01-09, 20:03
cycling buddy of mine in Tijara, Bolivia.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/bilylovec/foreign%20rides/DSC_0064-1.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/bilylovec/foreign%20rides/DSC_0066.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/bilylovec/foreign%20rides/DSC_0067.jpg
his family owns a winery there...

landrvrnut22
08-01-09, 21:11
How does one get caught?

Ussually when you try to register it as a kit vehicle. If you import a rolling truck less drivetrain, then import an engine, you can register it as a kit vehicle. Some states require an inspection. When they do the inspection, they will catch it.

Some will also import a newer vehicle and title it as a 68. Again, an emissions inspection or state inspection will ussually get them.

landrvrnut22
08-01-09, 21:24
I read on the ECR site that it was 21 years what the EPA went back to. Was the 300 TDI not available in 84 or 83?

Is this dependent on a state emissions check? I am not trying to skirt the rules here I am just trying to understand them.

What is the Cummins 4BT like?

By the way the idea of someone crushing a Land Rover 110 is right up there with cutting up guns... Great Googly Moggly ! ! ! !

Thanks,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

If my memory is good the 300tdi was not available till 1990 or so.

As I said above, it can be a number of things that get you. There is a way around. Let's just sat Canada doesn't have the restrictions like we do. So have someone bring it into Canada, register it, then you import it to the US. But again expensive.

As for the Cummins 4BT. It is much heavier than the 300tdi, but also has tons more grunt. My Dodge ram has the 6BT, and as I am sure you aware, they are a monster in them selves. Lop 2 cylinders off, and you have the 4BT. My 4BT is setup for ~200hp, and 500ft-lbs. But it also weighs in at 900lbs. I am putting it in my 1962 SIIA 88" It will be a pig when it's done, but should cruise the highway well, and should be a monster offroad.

There are write ups out there on the different conversion. ECR has a good website, and does great work, but they have gotten in trouble in the past. They also charge a pretty penny for their work.

www.discoweb.org is a good place to research. It's an internet forum also, it focuses on the Discovery, but this very topic has been covered dozens of times there. I am a member there, but don't frequent it.

I am a member of Guns and Rovers. We are a small group who discusses both Rovers and Guns. http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/forums/1

If you are really into the engine swap pirate 4x4 is the place. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

MPi-KMS-72
08-01-09, 21:28
Perhaps a myth but the finicky nature, lack of parts, and difficulty of working on them have made my gaze from afar only. Would love for someone to educate me otherwise.

I've fooled around with LR's for a long time, though I usually stick to the leafsprunf Series land Rovers that predated the D90-D110 trucks. Parts are easy to find. Places like Rovers North, Rovers Down South, Atlantic British, British Pacific, Rovahfarm etc, are all easy to deal with and you can get parts usually within a day. Prices really aren't that bad either. They are simple, really basic and easy to work on, like Legos or an Erector set.

The 25 year old D110s are now able to be imported and are arriving with frequency, The ones from Britain can be real rusty imagine any US car that is 25 years old and from the Northeast US and you'll get the idea. There are exceptions though. They'll almost all be right hand drive- Try continental Europe if you want LHD, Italy is one of the biggest export markets for LRs and you can find nice ones there somewhat cheap due to new regulations with regard to engine pollution controls etc.

LRs are fun, they really aren't as bad as their reputation leads people to believe but they are maintenance intensive. You don't buy one and drive it for 300,000 miles and just change tires and shocks... If you want that you'll need a Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol. ;)

for fun check out here:
http://www.landroverexchange.com/listings/

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Like Adam says above- check out Guns and Rovers, Disco Web, Expedition Portal etc...

If you have the time and $ you can always roll your own, here is one a friend of mine did:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8169

d90king
08-01-09, 22:28
Great truck! However plan on having a mechanic on 24 hour call or better yet with you. ;)Look for rusting were the aluminum and steel meet. In most cases people have made the repair but it will need to be done every 5 years or so... Very capable trucks and I have owned several (hence the screen name).

If I was in the market again, I would buy another 95 90 Wagon, not an old 110... If you want a 110, I would try and find a 93 US import. Do you really need the extra space? There is not as big a difference in space as you might think, compared to a 90 Wagon with the side jump seats.

Take a look and see what Stuart at Copley Motor Cars outside of Boston has in stock. He is a little nutty but is a good guy. I used to sell him some trucks back in the day and he still caters to that business. Bear Valley is another place to look.

IPSC_GUY
08-01-09, 23:43
Ok this is great information. THANK YOU ! ! !

GUNS and Rovers? are you kidding me?!?!?! that could only be better if it were Guns Rovers and Strippers ! ! !

What did ECR do to get into Trouble? were they messing around with the grey market importation stuff?

As for maintenance I wrench on cars all the time. I can't help it. I need to know how something works in detail before I can really be comfortable with it. 20 years of Aircraft Maintenance has caused that I think.

Again thanks for the links, I am off to read...

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

MPi-KMS-72
08-02-09, 10:42
Ok this is great information. THANK YOU ! ! !

GUNS and Rovers? are you kidding me?!?!?! that could only be better if it were Guns Rovers and Strippers ! ! !

What did ECR do to get into Trouble? were they messing around with the grey market importation stuff?

As for maintenance I wrench on cars all the time. I can't help it. I need to know how something works in detail before I can really be comfortable with it. 20 years of Aircraft Maintenance has caused that I think.

Again thanks for the links, I am off to read...

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

check out http://d-90.com/

Too. If you are an aircraft guy you should be ok with land rovers- used to electrolytic corrosion, regular maintenance schedules etc. There are quite a few aircraft guys int he LR community, C. Marin Faure is one who I remember form the old Land Rover Owner's list serv, I think he was a Boeing guy. Aircraft guys just seem to have the right mentality. ;)

There are a lot of NICE 110s coming over from the UK, they aren't all rusty crap. If you buy from a reputable person you'll be ok. Defenders and Series Land Rovers are kind of quirky by today's standards but that is because they were designed in an age when vehicles were maintained and used ad infinitum not just driven 'til junk and then disposed of.

sinister
08-02-09, 11:08
After coveting a Defender 110 for nearly 20 years I finally got to drive one last week.

I love its lines, idea, and cargo capacity. The 110 was the basis for the Ranger Special Operations Vehicle, or RSOV.

After having driven one of Uncle Sam's commercial diesel 110s I've gotta ask, "Huh?"

Designed in Britain for right-hand drive the US version's instruments and layout are afterthoughts ("Bloody Americans -- they should drive on the correct side of the road").

Driving one of these on the freeway would be like riding on top of an old washing machine.

I'd rather have a Land Cruiser or Suburban. Pinzgauer for big loads.

MPi-KMS-72
08-02-09, 11:16
Driving one of these on the freeway would be like riding IN an old washing machine.

Fixed it for you. :p

I'd go with a Volvo C303 (http://www.real4x4.com/Volvo303.shtml) for big loads over a Pinz but that is just me.

EzGoingKev
08-02-09, 18:57
I don't know how the older ones are, but I used to do warranty claims on current models and based on that, Land Rover would be my last choice for a vehicle. Constant repairs in the several thousand dollar range.

Land Rover also has some screwy ideas about maintenance, for example - if your u-joint fails you need to replace the entire driveshaft for about a grand vs replacing just a $12 u-joint.

MPi-KMS-72
08-02-09, 19:45
Land Rover also has some screwy ideas about maintenance, for example - if your u-joint fails you need to replace the entire driveshaft for about a grand vs replacing just a $12 u-joint.

I thought the stock U joints on the front drive shaft weren't greasable and were real close to the catalytic converter so they were exposed to a lot of heat? I know I've heard tails of the front drive shaft U joints failing and the shaft then hits the tranny or transfer case and breaks it. I'm kind of rusty on the later coil sprung Rovers- not sure this was even a real issue on the Defenders vs the RRs and Discos??? http://www.d-90.com/faq/

Tom Woods, Great Basin Rover and Driveshaftsuperstore.com would be cheaper sources for a shaft than any dealer... ;) Keith at Rovertracks might sell the shafts too.

telecustom
08-02-09, 20:36
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u60/telecustom2001/Army%20Stuff/HPIM0448.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u60/telecustom2001/Army%20Stuff/Defender110Side.jpg

kmrtnsn
08-02-09, 21:14
That is so much cooler than a Jeep!

EzGoingKev
08-03-09, 15:30
Tom Woods, Great Basin Rover and Driveshaftsuperstore.com would be cheaper sources for a shaft than any dealer... ;) Keith at Rovertracks might sell the shafts too.
Land Rover doesn't offer the u-joint on its own, but they are sold aftermarket. You pop into a local parts store and buy just the u-joints for around $12 and replace them just like with every other vehicle out there.

Bat Guano
08-03-09, 19:20
Owned a Series 1 81" long ago. The paperwork was a little vague and it was variously described as a '53, '54, and a '55. I don't think anyone knew for sure.

Even my father who drove jeeps in WWII found it pretty primitive.

IPSC_GUY
08-31-09, 14:05
After a Ton of research I am getting closer to finding a 110. There are a few 83 and 84 year models that have made it into the States and the conditions vary from pretty trashed to amazingly well taken care of. I guess there are a few Companies and Individuals that are making a business out of, locating and importing of 110s.

I have also run into the super cherry, decked out, never seen anything but the pavement in South Beach "1998 Defender 110" with the "1980 Series 3 title" as well. Also these guys are asking insane prices. Guess they need the extra cash for lawyer bills.... I have been told that if the DOT discovers this situation, they will seize the vehicle.

As for 110s being primitive, That is kinda what I am looking for actually. I like the idea of being able to completely disassemble and work on the vehicle myself. With a LandRover I probably will be doing that.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Nathan_Bell
08-31-09, 15:39
Guy that I bought my Unimog off of has a diesel powered wrong side drive unit. Not sure if he would part with it or for how much but I can get you incontact with him.

If he can find one for himself he can prbably find another.

Of course he is a professional wrench on euro-cars so maybe that is why he can afford to drive it

IPSC_GUY
08-31-09, 16:05
Guy that I bought my Unimog off of has a diesel powered wrong side drive unit. Not sure if he would part with it or for how much but I can get you incontact with him.

If he can find one for himself he can prbably find another.

Of course he is a professional wrench on euro-cars so maybe that is why he can afford to drive it

Yes please let me know. Pm his info and THANKS ! ! ! Alright that aside You have a Unimog !?!?!??!?!?!

Holy cow post pics

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Nathan_Bell
08-31-09, 16:20
Yes please let me know. Pm his info and THANKS ! ! ! Alright that aside You have a Unimog !?!?!??!?!?!

Holy cow post pics

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Swobodo75/mogatshop1.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c353/Swobodo75/IMG00049.jpg

ITs currently getting its bed and fenders rebuilt. Plan on moving its battery box to the otehr side and giving it a bigger fuel tank once funds are available.

IPSC_GUY
08-31-09, 17:10
That is just tooooo cool. how long have you had it and how big a head ache was it getting in to this country?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Nathan_Bell
08-31-09, 17:31
That is just tooooo cool. how long have you had it and how big a head ache was it getting in to this country?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Just got it March so still new to me, working out bugs. It's a 1983 U1200

It had come into the US in '93-'94 so am uncertain what was needed to get it into the states.

From what I understand as long a vehicle is 25+ years old you are in pretty good shape for individual importation.
Newer than that, not so much.

mrbieler
08-31-09, 19:59
No Defender, but I've been running around in a 1965 SWB IIA for the last 8 years.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/mrbieler/sunrise.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/mrbieler/hill.jpg

It's slow, 65MPH top speed with the overdrive, bumpy, and requires regular maintenance to keep it going, but it's an absolute billy goat.

I'm selling it now though. My back blew up a couple of years ago and it's harder and harder to get underneath it to work on it, climb up into it, etc. :(

Nathan_Bell
08-31-09, 20:52
No Defender, but I've been running around in a 1965 SWB IIA for the last 8 years.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/mrbieler/sunrise.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/mrbieler/hill.jpg

It's slow, 65MPH top speed with the overdrive, bumpy, and requires regular maintenance to keep it going, but it's an absolute billy goat.

I'm selling it now though. My back blew up a couple of years ago and it's harder and harder to get underneath it to work on it, climb up into it, etc. :(

Nice looking.

That model always brings "MUtual of Ohama's Wild Kingdom" to mind. I hear the little opening tune when I see one.:p

MPi-KMS-72
09-01-09, 09:10

Bieler:
Another Guns and Rovers member is over here- cool!!! I saw your post on G&R where you said you were selling the 88"- it is a shame! I can understand though with the bad back, what are you going to replace it with?

MPi-KMS-72 aka "Yorker" on some Rover boards

Army Chief
09-01-09, 09:44
Nice looking.

That model always brings "Mutual of Ohama's Wild Kingdom" to mind. I hear the little opening tune when I see one.:p

I had much the same thought ... followed quickly by the realization that this particular memory probably dates both of us terribly. ;)

I wish I could recall the statistics now, but something like 80% of the Land Rovers ever made are reported to still be in service. Even more interesting, it is claimed that for some 40% of the world's population, a Land Rover was the first vehicle that they had ever seen.

Not that this has much of anything to do with Defenders, but clearly LR loyalties run deep, and I find it telling that 12-15 year-old US D-90s routinely sell for figures that equal -- or in many cases, exceed -- their original MSRPs.

AC

IPSC_GUY
09-01-09, 13:48
I had much the same thought ... followed quickly by the realization that this particular memory probably dates both of us terribly. ;)

I wish I could recall the statistics now, but something like 80% of the Land Rovers ever made are reported to still be in service. Even more interesting, it is claimed that for some 40% of the world's population, a Land Rover was the first vehicle that they had ever seen.

Not that this has much of anything to do with Defenders, but clearly LR loyalties run deep, and I find it telling that 12-15 year-old US D-90s routinely sell for figures that equal -- or in many cases, exceed -- their original MSRPs.

AC

I find that interesting (and painful) as well. I looked at the 1993 NAS spec 110s new in the show room in 93 and thought the $36,000 price tag was just insane. Now here I am all these years later and I would flip to find one for that price...

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

mrbieler
09-01-09, 21:40
Bieler:
Another Guns and Rovers member is over here- cool!!! I saw your post on G&R where you said you were selling the 88"- it is a shame! I can understand though with the bad back, what are you going to replace it with?

MPi-KMS-72 aka "Yorker" on some Rover boards

Hey! The G&R crowd gets around. :D

We still have our 1997 Disco that we beat the snot out of. That thing has seen some awesome trail use as well. Very different off roading comparing the two. The Disco is capable, but with the exception of some verticle stuff where the wheel base limits me, the stock IIA can go places most trucks can't. It just gets there slow. :)

The Disco's still a regular maintenance truck too, but not nearly as involved a 40+ year old tractor and it's a lot easier on my back driving around.

I have a company car I use most of the time, so the money when I sell it will go into a jar marked for "future down payment" when we need it.

El Mac
09-01-09, 23:11
Regarding the Defender:

Our motorpool over here in Afghanistan works on them quite a bit. The Brits have them and also there are a bunch in use by contractors and the like. In talking with them, they to a man said "stay away from them". They think the Toyota Hi-Lux (the national truck/SUV of Afghanistan) is a much better vehicle.

IPSC_GUY
09-02-09, 23:18
Regarding the Defender:

Our motorpool over here in Afghanistan works on them quite a bit. The Brits have them and also there are a bunch in use by contractors and the like. In talking with them, they to a man said "stay away from them". They think the Toyota Hi-Lux (the national truck/SUV of Afghanistan) is a much better vehicle.

If I am correct the Hi-lux is the Toyota 4Runner? Really do I have that correct? and if I do everyone says a 4runner is preferable to a Land Rover?

WOW....

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Army Chief
09-02-09, 23:41
I do have a line on a '97 US spec D-90 hardtop (blue) in NoVa in truly excellent condition for right around $30k, if anyone is interested. I'm in the middle of a transatlantic household move, and it just doesn't look like I'm going to be able to put the deal together for myself; that said, the preliminary research was very encouraging.

PM me if you want the contact data.

AC

MPi-KMS-72
09-03-09, 10:08
If I am correct the Hi-lux is the Toyota 4Runner? Really do I have that correct? and if I do everyone says a 4runner is preferable to a Land Rover?

WOW....

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

The Hilux is just a basic rest of world spec Toyota pickup truck. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux)

Check out what Top Gear did to one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

:D

Those available to the rest of the world generally differ from those available here, more bare bones, they come with nice little diesels etc.

Given the choice between a new Toyota and a Defender I can see why some would prefer the Toyota Hi-Lux. I'd rather have a Toyota 70 series Land Cruiser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser#70_Series_.281985.E2.80.93present.29)than either.

Of course this is America and you could build what you want too. A Defender or Stage 1 Land Rover built with Toyota Land Cruiser Axles (or maybe Ford 9") and a Isuzu 4bd1t Diesel
(with the Isuzu tranny adapted to the LR's LT230 transfer case) would be awesome.

Nathan_Bell
09-03-09, 10:24
The Hilux is just a basic rest of world spec Toyota pickup truck. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux)

Check out what Top Gear did to one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

:D

Those available to the rest of the world generally differ from those available here, more bare bones, they come with nice little diesels etc.

Given the choice between a new Toyota and a Defender I can see why some would prefer the Toyota Hi-Lux. I'd rather have a Toyota 70 series Land Cruiser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser#70_Series_.281985.E2.80.93present.29)than either.

Of course this is America and you could build what you want too. A Defender or Stage 1 Land Rover built with Toyota Land Cruiser Axles (or maybe Ford 9") and a Isuzu 4bd1t Diesel
(with the Isuzu tranny adapted to the LR's LT230 transfer case) would be awesome.

If you are going for slow and steady stick a set of portal axles under it. :cool:

Skter505
09-03-09, 10:31
The Hilux is more of a Tacoma, the ones you see in the 3rd world are just the older pickup style though.

Here is a pic of the defenders competition, my 83 FJ60. Doesn't come with a diesel in the states though.

MPi-KMS-72
09-03-09, 10:39
If you are going for slow and steady stick a set of portal axles under it. :cool:

Portals would be awesome, there is a fellow i know who has a set of Volvo portals under his old LR. That truck is cool .

Actually speaking of Volvos-had I know about the Volvo C303 (www.real4x4.com/Volvo303.shtml) and the Volvo Sugga (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Sugga)years ago I'd never have even gotten involved with Land Rovers.

Sugga:
http://www.swedenoffroad.com/sv/reportage/sot2006a/P1010100.JPG

http://www.real4x4.com/Images/Suggahill.jpg

C303:
http://www.c303.de/c303-img/mb-park.jpg

http://www.real4x4.com/Volvo/Real4x4sC303test.jpg

buddyhoohaw
09-03-09, 10:40
The Hilux is more of a Tacoma, the ones you see in the 3rd world are just the older pickup style though.

Here is a pic of the defenders competition, my 83 FJ60. Doesn't come with a diesel in the states though.

Nice series 60!! When I was 9 yrs old my parents came home from the local Toyoyta dealer with a brand spankin' new 1981 FJ60 Land Cruiser in beige/tan color. It went well with our 1980 Subaru 4WD Wagon that was beige in color with a fly-ass plaid interior. I recall the "loaded" FJ-60 included an AM-FM stereo with 4 spd manual transmission, 6 cylinder engine and manual windows, locks etc. The 4-wheel drive capability undoubtedly made up for the lack of creature comforts.

BTW, here is a pic of my 07 Taco draggin my 83 CJ-7....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/Jeep/Jeep13.jpg

Cheers

Nathan_Bell
09-03-09, 11:03
Portals would be awesome, there is a fellow i know who has a set of Volvo portals under his old LR. That truck is cool .

Actually speaking of Volvos-had I know about the Volvo C303 (www.real4x4.com/Volvo303.shtml) and the Volvo Sugga (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Sugga)years ago I'd never have even gotten involved with Land Rovers.

Sugga:
http://www.swedenoffroad.com/sv/reportage/sot2006a/P1010100.JPG

http://www.real4x4.com/Images/Suggahill.jpg

C303:
http://www.c303.de/c303-img/mb-park.jpg

http://www.real4x4.com/Volvo/Real4x4sC303test.jpg

I ended up with my implement..erm..Unimog because I started with "Must have Portals!" as primary requirement.

This led me to the 404s gas series Mogs. Loved the flexiness, but no room and I did not like the wimpy gas motors.
So this moved me up to the 406/416 class. Diesles and heavier duty running gear with even more gear ratios. Too damned small for me to be able to drive it comforably.

This led me to the SBU/MBU level of them. Positives.
Gear ratios from hell. 8 speed forward/reverse shuttle transimission with three ranges. Crawler range is just stupid. Ground clearance is nuts. I have 21" at the lowest point of the axle housing and 25" at the tube.
Cons: Heavy! 11k you can really feel the weight when on a steep grade or when going down a trail for the first time and settle things down. Kind of like a roller.
Big: 79" wide and 10' tall.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-03-09, 11:17
2009_land_rover_defender_110_xs_station_wagon-first_drive_review (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q3/2009_land_rover_defender_110_xs_station_wagon-first_drive_review)

Anyone seen that yet?

I'm looking for the 11/92 review in car and driver of the 1993 110 NAS.

Nathan_Bell
09-03-09, 13:37
2009_land_rover_defender_110_xs_station_wagon-first_drive_review (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q3/2009_land_rover_defender_110_xs_station_wagon-first_drive_review)

Anyone seen that yet?

I'm looking for the 11/92 review in car and driver of the 1993 110 NAS.

I probably had it, pitched boxes and boxes of old magzines when I got 3" of water in shop. :mad:

IPSC_GUY
09-19-09, 20:10
Well I have found a 1983 RHD 110 that has been legally imported into the US. It has DOT AND EPA releases and it is legally registered here in the US. It has had a frame off restoration with a new Bulkhead and the frame gone through. OH and it has had a 300TDI installed. Along with the 300 TDI the owner went to separate custom Intercooler (that is HUGE) and a custom radiator not the combined thing that Land Rover used. 2 inches of lift and a D2 1.2 LT230Q box along with a custom Disco Drive shaft retro fitted with Zerk fittings. No blown up front drive shafts for me thank you very much.

New Exmoore seats all around. Safari Gard Bumper with a Warn winch, along with a ton of other stuff. PLUS... It's White. My second favorite color for a 110. Tan being my first but I can live with white. Might get painted tan down the road, we will see.

At the moment it is getting fitted with a Safety Devices roll cage off of a 93 NAS 110 (had to swap roofs as the 83 came with a ribbed roof) and an Air conditioner. Once the cage is on and the AC installed the 300 TDI is going to get tuned (oh yeah adding and EGT just for that) to get some power out of it.

The former owner poured a ton of money into this thing. He just found out his wife is pregnant with their second child so the Land Rover went on the chopping block ALAS...

Can't wait to get it out west here. Pics to follow when she is all done. Thanks for all the help everyone who pointed me to the different boards.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-19-09, 22:36
Well I have found a 1983 RHD 110 that has been legally imported into the US.

I don't believe you. You have to come by and let me drive it. Can't wait to see the pics.

IPSC_GUY
09-19-09, 23:14
I don't believe you. You have to come by and let me drive it. Can't wait to see the pics.

There are more and more of them coming into the country. Next year 1985 models will be importable ! ! !

I think I will try and find one in Southern Europe for my Sister the cattle rancher.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

turdbocharged
09-19-09, 23:22
title says it

IPSC_GUY
09-20-09, 00:00
title says it

OHHHHHHHHHHHH I HAVE ! ! ! I own a PAINFULLY large amount of stock in Ford Motor company.

------SIGH------

I hope to turn a profit in... well, hopefully someday... MAYBE...

This is a very green decision as well going with the 110. I am keeping a 25 plus year old truck out of a junk yard and with it's Diesel engine I will consume a lot of DOMESTICALLY produced bio-diesel.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-20-09, 01:47
http://hdforums.com/forum/attachments/softail-models/27572d1234665383-09-heritage-big-radius-big-sucker-fuelpak-help-this-thread-is-useless-without-pichers.jpg

El Mac
09-20-09, 02:05

WOW....

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Yup. Really.

The THL does come with a diesel engine that is a reliable as a 10 sledge hammer. I don't believe that option is available from Toyota in the US.

If I could get one when I get back home, I'd much prefer it over the LRD.

IPSC_GUY
09-20-09, 13:18
http://hdforums.com/forum/attachments/softail-models/27572d1234665383-09-heritage-big-radius-big-sucker-fuelpak-help-this-thread-is-useless-without-pichers.jpg

Ohhhh OK ! ! !

Here are some old pics from when it first came into the country and work was started on it. These are from the previous owner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/frontsized-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/005.jpg

With the roof off...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/IMG00100-1.jpg

300TDI goodness

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/motorsized.jpg

I will post LOTS more pics once she is done and headed west.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-20-09, 16:30
Thanks, can't wait to see it after you 'pimp' it out.

JOHNO
09-20-09, 16:37
I absolutely love Land Rovers and the Defender 90 especially, I've lusted after them for several years and still plan to own one before I die.

That said,.................in North America, a Jeep is your best option. Parts and service is readily avaliable, most jobs can be done yourself with a good maintenence manual and they're very reliable.

IPSC_GUY
09-22-09, 18:20
The cage is starting to get put on here. Waiting for the seal to put the Alpine window in the new roof.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/rearhalfofcageon.jpg

Can't wait Can't WAIT CAN"T WAIT ! ! !

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

MPi-KMS-72
09-22-09, 18:54
Looks great! I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Do you know if it has rear disk brakes or drums?

[edit] I can't remember if this link was posted before but they have some neat stuff:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/

IPSC_GUY
09-22-09, 20:06
It has Drums on the rear. I want to do the change to rear Disks just for the ease of changing pads and I want to slot all of the Rotors. Yet another on the list of "To Dos" but then again I am used to modding a vehicle to no end.

Thanks for the link I have not seen that one yet.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

landrvrnut22
09-22-09, 20:06
I know I have seen that truck, I just cannot figure out where.

MPi-KMS-72
09-22-09, 20:13

Yeah it does look familiar. The Land Rover community is small enough we've probably seen it before....

IPSC_GUY- What front CVs does it have?

IPSC_GUY
09-22-09, 22:45

Oh it was for sale in the DC area for a while. The FORMER owner had it on a number of boards.

Yeah it does look familiar. The Land Rover community is small enough we've probably seen it before....

IPSC_GUY- What front CVs does it have?

I am not sure what CV is in it. I do know that the front Drive shaft it is out of a Discovery but the U joints have been rebuilt with Zerk Fittings.

I will find out.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

MPi-KMS-72
09-23-09, 06:19
I am not sure what CV is in it. I do know that the front Drive shaft it is out of a Discovery but the U joints have been rebuilt with Zerk Fittings.

I will find out.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

I'm just curious, Axles and CVs are the achilles heel of Land Rovers but it usually onle emerges when you go to >31" tires, locked diffs and do stuff like rock crawling. IIRC aeu2322 or aeu2522's were the Military/1ton grade upgrade for 110's.

Contact Keith at Rovertracks: www.rovertracks.com

Your rear axle should be a Salisbury which is an English copy of the Dana 60/70 so it should be good, though they do use rather small 24 spline axle shafts.

Both can be upgraded but it really shouldn't be needed unless you build beyone the original specs or add lockers.

IPSC_GUY
09-23-09, 11:11
I'm just curious, Axles and CVs are the achilles heel of Land Rovers but it usually onle emerges when you go to >31" tires, locked diffs and do stuff like rock crawling. IIRC aeu2322 or aeu2522's were the Military/1ton grade upgrade for 110's.

Contact Keith at Rovertracks: www.rovertracks.com

Your rear axle should be a Salisbury which is an English copy of the Dana 60/70 so it should be good, though they do use rather small 24 spline axle shafts.

Both can be upgraded but it really shouldn't be needed unless you build beyond the original specs or add lockers.

UHHHH OHHHH Lockers ARE in the future. What I have been told is that yes rear is a Dana 60 copy and the front is an odd ball axle that Land Rover put on for a couple years that is supposedly stronger than later axles. Another benefit of buying an 83 besides removable top doors.

I have already been looking at the Rover Tracks website...

As for Crawling, this is going to be more of an overland travel application.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

MPi-KMS-72
09-23-09, 11:34
I don't want to give you the impression that LR axles are made of glass but they are small and do break especially when you start changing things around.

For bulletproof and economical options ask Keith at Rovertracks, he is a great guy and won't steer you wrong. He'll have a good idea what will work best for what you want to do.

You can throw a LOT of $ at LR axles and still have problems, or there are other options. I have a friend who probably has $5k into upgrading his Salisbury rear and Rover front axle in his Lightweight 88" He probably could have had custom Ford 9" axles made for that $ or a bulletproof set of Toyota Land Cruiser axles put under it for 1/3 of that. It really depends what you are going to do, and what kind of changes you are willing to make.

If I bought a 110 I think I'd upgrade the rear with an ARB and larger axle shafts, for the front I'd keep the axle housing and use a Toyota differential with E locker (or ARB?) and Keith's shafts, CVs, etc. That would be a good setup IMHO.

On the other hand if you are going to Overland out of North America there is something to be said for jkeeping things stock- when things break spares would be easier to source.

In any event give Keith a call. He is a great guy to deal with and won't steer you wrong.

IPSC_GUY
09-29-09, 18:35
Ok I have been immersed in reading on axle upgrades, and yes I have talked to Kieth. Great fellow. he is also a Porsche nut as well. I am actually considering biting the bullet and going to a complete Toyota axle conversion with E lockers. Am I going to crawl the 110? Probably not but if I ever HAVE to I want it to be able to survive something nasty and not strand me at the corner of NOOO and WHERE ! ! !

Progress continues and I am hoping it will be done by the end of October to get it west. Then the axle upgrades can start....

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

El Mac
09-30-09, 01:39
Hmmmmmm, Toyota......... where have I heard that? ;)

MPi-KMS-72
09-30-09, 07:25
Sounds good! A Toyota front end is definitely a big improvement IMHO. Rover diffs aren't even Hypoid. Too bad no one has managed to stuff Ford 9" diffs into LR axle cases. Ashcroft is trying something akin to that but they are ending up to be a complete custom thing.

The rear Rover Sals isn't bad considering it is a Dana clone- somehow you can even upgrade to 1.5" axle shafts but I can't remember how that is done. I ended up selling the Rover axles from my latest Land Rover project and have just gone with complete Toyota Land Cruiser axles for it.

You could probably use complete FJ80 axles under the 110, that would actually be kind of cheap to do. In a way the rear axle would be a step backward when compared to an upgraded Salisbury (LR) rear axle but stock to stock and $ for $ the FJ80 axles would be better and easier to upgrade (longfields, etc)

IPSC_GUY
09-30-09, 23:33
Hmmmmmm, Toyota......... where have I heard that? ;)

Yes your posts led me down that path in my research, thanks. I am looking hard at this option. The axles are reputed to be stronger.

Well the Alpine windows are in and most of the cage is on. Some small stuff left to do there. Then on to AC and Sliders. Going to add an NAS bumper and ladder

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/side931.jpg

and a shot from the front

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/front931.jpg

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

El Mac
09-30-09, 23:35
That should be a sweet rig once you get her all said and done!

IPSC_GUY
01-04-10, 20:51
Welll... my Land Rover 110 is stage one complete and shipped west.

here is link to the work.

http://www.dividingcreekroverimports.com/recent_projects

Later this month the stronger Axles, different gears and ARBs front and back will go in...

MUHA HA HA HA HA HA

So far in what little bit of wheeling I have done with her, here in Idaho it is quite stable and even with just the central locking diff and open diffs on the axles she has not gotten stuck and does very well in the snow.

More to follow,

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-04-10, 22:23
SAAAA-WHEEEAt.

That is really nice looking. Can't wait to see some pics of it out on the trial.

IPSC_GUY
01-05-10, 02:53
Here are a couple of quick shots from the Sun Valley shake down drive. Nothing really spectacular but headed out in the wild as it were.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/IPSC_GUY/007.jpg

The right hand drive is surprisingly easy to get used to. The only PITA with that is any drive through by yourself. I will "figger" something out to fix that.

The 300 TDI purrs along but I had to put some cardboard in front of the Radiator just to get it up to 180 degrees.

More to follow.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

MIKE G
01-05-10, 03:08

landrvrnut22
01-05-10, 07:46
The right hand drive is surprisingly easy to get used to. The only PITA with that is any drive through by yourself. I will "figger" something out to fix that.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

My 62 88" is RHD straight from Scotland. Toll booths and drive-thrus are a PITA, toll booths I have down, I just un buckle, roll to a stop in nuetral, and hop up onto my center console. I tried to go through a drivethru in reverse and they wouldn't serve me, go figure.

You do realize that now that you have one, they begin to multiply. I started with one, at the peak, I had 5 Series trucks. I am back down to one.

A picture from MAR 2005, the weekend of nonstop rain. Mine is the White Series in the foreground.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/lrnut20/MAR%20OCT%202005/th_19ff.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/lrnut20/MAR%20OCT%202005/?action=view&current=19ff.jpg)

IPSC_GUY
01-05-10, 11:50
My 62 88" is RHD straight from Scotland. Toll booths and drive-thrus are a PITA, toll booths I have down, I just un buckle, roll to a stop in nuetral, and hop up onto my center console. I tried to go through a drivethru in reverse and they wouldn't serve me, go figure.

You do realize that now that you have one, they begin to multiply. I started with one, at the peak, I had 5 Series trucks. I am back down to one.

A picture from MAR 2005, the weekend of nonstop rain. Mine is the White Series in the foreground.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/lrnut20/MAR%20OCT%202005/th_19ff.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/lrnut20/MAR%20OCT%202005/?action=view&current=19ff.jpg)

Yeah Porsches do the same DAMN thing and I am already looking at a D-90 as a project. It suffered an Engine fire and I am thinking of going buck wild and building it into a 110 with a Dodge Cummins 6BT... Land rover fever is VERY virulent affliction ! ! ! It makes Black Rifle Disease seem like the common cold.

About the only thing worse are Boats and Airplanes....

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Nathan_Bell
01-05-10, 16:43
Yeah Porsches do the same DAMN thing and I am already looking at a D-90 as a project. It suffered an Engine fire and I am thinking of going buck wild and building it into a 110 with a Dodge Cummins 6BT... Land rover fever is VERY virulent affliction ! ! ! It makes Black Rifle Disease seem like the common cold.

About the only thing worse are Boats and Airplanes....

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

4BT! You can still get a bunchaton of power and save 200# weight :D

Be glad you didn't go the Unimog route, I keep measuring a DT466 and trying to figure out how to stuff it into the "Booger"

IPSC_GUY
01-06-10, 00:43
4BT! You can still get a bunchaton of power and save 200# weight :D

Be glad you didn't go the Unimog route, I keep measuring a DT466 and trying to figure out how to stuff it into the "Booger"

Ohhh Unimogs are a whole "OTHER" realm.

I am REALLY considering the 4BT as a better option than the 6, It just happens that I have a 6BT.... the 200 LBS less is a REALLY attractive idea.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Volucris
01-06-10, 02:00
Oh God I've wanted a Defender since I was a small kid. Although just about any utility-purposed off road vehicle makes me giddy.

Von Rheydt
01-06-10, 04:27
I have no trouble with right hand drive myself;).

As I was a British Squaddie I had the pleasure of driving most variants including a spell with the 101 fwd control and the Pink Panther ....... in green not pink.

I personally had a Discovery series 1 with the 200 series TDI engine which lost a turbo seal at 116000 miles and sucked all the engine oil up using it as fuel going jet engine on me till it siezed. I then got a Discovery series 2 TD5, tooooo many electronics.

I was considering a Landy for my move over to the USA. But they are soo expensive there. With the move over I cannot be bothered to go thru the hassle of importing one at the same time I move over so I am going to wait a year or so.

I always like the Airportable Series 3, if you like Landys you'll love these. Designed for airborne operations so they are lighter, the doors just hook off and the windscreen folds flat. Added to which there is Left Hand Drive diesel variant of these made for the Dutch Army. They have been kept in long term war reserve stocks (so minimal mileage) when available you can pick up direct from the surplus wholesalers for around £6000 - £7000. A 25 year old nearly new vehicle.

IPSC_GUY
01-06-10, 10:18
I have no trouble with right hand drive myself;).

As I was a British Squaddie I had the pleasure of driving most variants including a spell with the 101 fwd control and the Pink Panther ....... in green not pink.

I personally had a Discovery series 1 with the 200 series TDI engine which lost a turbo seal at 116000 miles and sucked all the engine oil up using it as fuel going jet engine on me till it seized. I then got a Discovery series 2 TD5, tooooo many electronics.

I was considering a Landy for my move over to the USA. But they are soo expensive there. With the move over I cannot be bothered to go thru the hassle of importing one at the same time I move over so I am going to wait a year or so.

I always like the Airportable Series 3, if you like Landys you'll love these. Designed for airborne operations so they are lighter, the doors just hook off and the windscreen folds flat. Added to which there is Left Hand Drive diesel variant of these made for the Dutch Army. They have been kept in long term war reserve stocks (so minimal mileage) when available you can pick up direct from the surplus wholesalers for around £6000 - £7000. A 25 year old nearly new vehicle.

See it's very cool that you can get the Disco with the TDI over there.

How much different is the Airportable Series 3 from the RSOV that the US Army bought for the Rangers? Sounds very similar. I have looked at Ex MOD trucks as they are generally very well maintained.

Are you still in England at the moment? If you are I would reconsider the idea of an import (or export as it were) since you can easily go look at vehicles. Maybe buy an 85 now and leave it with someone to ship later?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Von Rheydt
01-06-10, 14:09
See it's very cool that you can get the Disco with the TDI over there.

How much different is the Airportable Series 3 from the RSOV that the US Army bought for the Rangers? Sounds very similar. I have looked at Ex MOD trucks as they are generally very well maintained.

Are you still in England at the moment? If you are I would reconsider the idea of an import (or export as it were) since you can easily go look at vehicles. Maybe buy an 85 now and leave it with someone to ship later?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Don't believe the book on mileages......on a good run at 65 - 70mph the TD5 will give back around 40 - 45 mpg, nice. Around town though and on short runs it is a pig.

The RSOV looks a tad like the TUM(SF), thats the Truck Utility Medium (Special Forces). The TUM only has the front two doors and is designed to carry a crew of three (SAS or SBS) - the crew consists of driver, patrol leader/navigator/front gunner and top cover. I have some pics and will post them up in a day or so, if you want.

The light weight is a SWB, 2 door beastie. I always liked them when my Dad was in the Army and when I joined as a private I got to drive one regularly for about 18 months.

Brit Mil Landys are over serviced and spoiled to death. There are plenty of dealers in Euroland that sell off surplus Landys so there is always a steady supply out there. Parts are also plentiful and cheap, I keep a German Officer friend of mine supplied with parts for the 110 he is rebuilding.

As I know they are cheap and plentiful I will pick one up in a year or so when I come back over for a visit. As I still favour one of the left hand drive Dutch Lightweights with the normally aspirated diesel and I know they are still being sold off with minimal mileage I may get a dealer to just ship one when I am settled.

Here ya go, I'll give you the secret site details, but don't share them with anyone;)

http://www.ljacksonandco.com/ljdbase/General_view.php?editid1=11518

Check out the whole of Jacksons, they get some good stuff as do these guys:

http://www.mod-sales.com/

joe scuba
01-06-10, 18:13
[QUOTE=IPSC_GUY;423566]I am looking at a Land Rover for a 4X4 vehicle and the 110 (with a 300 TDI) is on the short list. I am curious to know what anyone who owns one thinks of them? Capabilities? Maintenance? Actual usability as an off road vehicle? On road use and towing as well.

Overall impressions?

I've owned three, one 1993 110, and two D-90 hard tops. The last had a 300 TDI converstion. The are not anything like an American or Japanese built car. Defenders are not built to be comfortable. They are industrial type vehicles not unlike a 1970 Ford F150 pick up. When it rains be prepared to have at least an inch of water on the floor. They all will leak where the windshield and the blukhead come together. They all leak fuilds. If its not leaking its out of oil. Be prepare for a learning crub. Make friends with a good LR mechanic, or with the people at Rovers North. They really know the ins and outs of the Defender. If you don't like to tinker with your vehicle a Defender will drive you crazy. They are like boats, you will have to perform maintence on them quite regularly. How every, a Defender will work/run even when it shouldn't. All things said and done I wished I still had a Defnder. The are very fun. I highly recommend you get one. Everyone should have at least one in their life. :)

Regards, Joescuba