PDA

View Full Version : What I did this afternoon...

Gutshot John
08-01-09, 19:12
Before:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/GutshotJohn/IMG_0038.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/GutshotJohn/IMG_0039.jpg

After:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/GutshotJohn/IMG_0040.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/GutshotJohn/IMG_0041.jpg

Pigfection. :cool:

K.L. Davis
08-01-09, 19:40
Looks like a prop from a Lucio Fulci movie.

Mac5.56
08-01-09, 19:59
Very nice! What kind of rub is that? And what kind of smoker did you use?

kmrtnsn
08-01-09, 20:06
Damn John! Looks like you were quite productive

Gutshot John
08-01-09, 20:18
The rub is a secret recipe handed down from my father, but you can use Dillo dust if you want. I occasionally do. Dinosaur BBQ also has a nice rub you can use.

I brine the pork for two days than I make a paste of olive oil, mustard crushed garlic and the rub brush it on and add more rub, let it sit for another day.

Smoker is just a Weber grill. I make foil packets out of apple/hickory chips poke holes in top, replace every so often.

Mac5.56
08-01-09, 20:23
Very nice! I will say that it made me hungry and looks amazing!

rat31465
08-01-09, 20:27
It looks like it has a nice Bark on it....!

I have a nice dry rub that I like to use which is of my own design...I also brine the meat for 48 hours and have even used yellow mustard as a coating. Damn, Im hungry now.

Have you ever tried Pecan wood on your smoker? My Father in Law introduced me to it and it has since become one of my favorite smoker woods.

Gutshot John
08-01-09, 20:53
It looks like it has a nice Bark on it....!

I have a nice dry rub that I like to use which is of my own design...I also brine the meat for 48 hours and have even used yellow mustard as a coating. Damn, Im hungry now.

Have you ever tried Pecan wood on your smoker? My Father in Law introduced me to it and it has since become one of my favorite smoker woods.

Yeah the bark is a thing of beauty.

I've never tried pecan but I will. This is the first time I tried the foil packet trick as recommended in Dino BBQ and I must say I like it for use with a gas grill.

I'm actually pretty pleased with how it turned out. One of my best.

GLOCKMASTER
08-01-09, 20:56
John that looks awesome. I think that would go over very well at a Night Fighter course.:D

Fellas take it from someone who knows first hand, GJ has some serious cooking skills.

Gutshot John
08-01-09, 21:53
John that looks awesome. I think that would go over very well at a Night Fighter course.:D

Fellas take it from someone who knows first hand, GJ has some serious cooking skills.

Thanks for the kind words and consider it done.

kbrdann
08-02-09, 06:07
That looks very tasty. Are from the Syracuse area? I see you dino BBQ.

M4arc
08-02-09, 07:24
You didn't invite us?

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
08-02-09, 08:53
Kinda looks like the aftermath of a mexican burrito...if you catch my drift...Hehe. Looks good though and I'm usually a beef fan. :D

Gutshot John
08-02-09, 09:51
That looks very tasty. Are from the Syracuse area? I see you dino BBQ.

No actually, my dad gave me their cookbook. He was lifelong into BBQ and his recipes have evolved from when I was a kid, but he would often cherrypick and mix ideas from different places.

rob_s
08-02-09, 11:11
FWIW, I have an electric smoker and it works great. Purists poopoo it, but clearly you're not a purist. :p

I've tried pecan and a lot of the fruit woods, and actually like a blend of cherry, apple, and pecan.

I found the Dillo dust to be severely.... lacking. I have my own rub that gets rave reviews, as does my mustard-based sauce.

Gutshot John
08-02-09, 11:30
FWIW, I have an electric smoker and it works great. Purists poopoo it, but clearly you're not a purist. :p

I've tried pecan and a lot of the fruit woods, and actually like a blend of cherry, apple, and pecan.

I found the Dillo dust to be severely.... lacking. I have my own rub that gets rave reviews, as does my mustard-based sauce.

Have you used that Dino BBQ book?

I wouldn't poopoo an electric smoker...as long as it smokes. What makes me not a purist using a grill to smoke?

Dillo dust wasn't intended to be a perfect solution except for the uninitiated, just didn't want to reveal my rub. :)

08-02-09, 11:45
Gutshot- Don't eat pork, but that sure does look good!
Rob- I'm going to need your secret recipe to try on some beef brisket.

Either of you ever try deep frying a turkey, chicken, etc.? I scoffed at the idea at first until I tried it, twice, and got it right the second time. I used an injector on a turkey, deep fried it, and man was it tender and juicy. I highly recommend trying it. I use peanut oil and it works wonders. Also not too bad for you. I injected different parts of the turkey with different concoctions and had a multi-flavored bird that almost melted in your mouth. Might have to get a shin-dig together for the Tennessee-Florida game and dunk a bird.;) Sept. 19, in Gainesville. Maybe a box of TAP as a wager, eh Rob?

rob_s
08-02-09, 12:47
What makes me not a purist using a grill to smoke?

I assumed you meant a gas grill, but either way a purist is going to use logs in an actual smoker.

I have a lot of pages marked in the Dino book but we've had some major family things going on that put a damper on cooking and entertaining.

rob_s
08-02-09, 12:49
I've never fried a turkey myself, but I've eaten a bunch of them.

My current favorite is smoking a chicken. I buy the cheap fryers, do nothing to prep 'em but rub it with olive oil, salt, and pepper and drop it into the electric smoker. Super-easy to cook, and they come out super tender. Goes geat with almost any sauce too which is a plus.

uranus
08-02-09, 12:58
I have an inexpensive Braunfels smoker with an offset firebox. I think I paid about 100.00 several years ago. With a little charcoal to get started, then water-soaked hickory or other wood, the temperature can be fairly easily maintained @ 220 degrees or whatever the prescribed temperature. I have a gas grill, too, that I have used on occasion, but the offset smoker produces a better result, IMO.

I have a friend with an electric smoker which works very well and is extremely convenient, but the offset smoker is better but requires a lot of attention while in use.

Gutshot John
08-02-09, 13:01
I assumed you meant a gas grill, but either way a purist is going to use logs in an actual smoker.

Oh indeed, yes I meant a gas grill. So yes I'm not a purist. I thought you were talking about my rub/paste and I thought we were going to have to have some "words". :p

I have a lot of pages marked in the Dino book but we've had some major family things going on that put a damper on cooking and entertaining.

No problem I'm just curious if you've tried anything you liked. I hope things are well with your family.