PDA

View Full Version : Lodging Suggestions for South Hill, VA. Classes.

VA_Dinger
01-30-07, 11:06
I get asked this allot so I figured we could just post this up for everybody to use as a reference.

Since South Hill really isn't that big any of these hotels will work for one of our classes. The range we use is on the Eastern side of South Hill so #3-6 would be the closest.

(1.)Three Angels Inn - Very nice and highly recommended. Less than a mile from the range.
P.O. Box 883
236 Pleasant Grove Road
Lawrenceville, VA 23868
http://www.threeangelsinn.com/

(2.)Budget Inn Express
617 N Mecklenburg Ave, South Hill, VA
434-447-8643

(3.) Econo Lodge
623 E Atlantic St, South Hill, VA
434-447-7116

(4.) Comfort Inn
918 E Atlantic St, South Hill, VA
434-447-2600

(5.) Best Western Inn
911 E Atlantic St, South Hill, VA
434-447-3123

(6.) Super 8 Motel
250 Thompson St, La Crosse, VA
434-447-2313

(7.) Hampton Inn
200 Thompson St, La Crosse, VA
434-447-4600

Jay Cunningham
01-30-07, 14:20
Thanks very much for the info.

If any other useful stuff concerning the area/class accomodations pops up could you post it here for future reference?

VA_Dinger
01-30-07, 14:28
Thanks very much for the info.

If any other useful stuff concerning the area/class accomodations pops up could you post it here for future reference?

No problem.

subzero
01-30-07, 15:30
I don't know if this works at other places, but at the Best Western you can ask for the "Fishing Rate" which saves a few bucks over doing reservations online. There's a big lake just down the road from South Hill and in the summer parking lots all over are filled up with bass boats.

Robb Jensen
01-30-07, 20:55
Blaster22, themadhatter and I are staying at the Hampton Inn for the March class. It was pretty cheap through Travelocity.

Joe Mamma
01-31-07, 16:25
Has anyone made a hotel choice for the May Vickers AK class? I'm attending and thinking about the Hampton Inn based on gotm4's comment.

I don't really have a preference other than that. But, I think it would be more fun to all stay in the same place.

If someone is industrious, maybe they can negotiate a group rate somewhere . . .

Joe Mamma

Jay Cunningham
02-11-07, 22:04
I'll be making my reservations this week. If anybody else has made them, please post them here. It's a good idea for guys who could carpool to the range and such.

Makes it easier to get together for a beer afterward as well!

:D

John_Wayne777
02-13-07, 12:05
I just made my reservation for the Hampton Inn.....

Jay Cunningham
02-15-07, 15:51
I'll be staying at the Best Western Inn.

:cool:

TOrrock
03-06-07, 21:38
I'll be staying at the Best Western Inn.

:cool:

Me too. :cool:

Robb Jensen
03-06-07, 21:47
Any place around there preferred for breakfast and dinner?

Heavy Metal
03-06-07, 22:22
I will be staying at the Comfort Inn. Considering I have over 140,000 Choice privi points to burn...................

NCPatrolAR
03-14-07, 01:13
How is the Comfort Inn? I have a "rewards" card from them and try to stay there or a Comfort Suites whenever I get the chance. I mainly want to make sure the place isnt a dope hole..... getting pestered by guys trying to sell you a dove can get old really quick.

Heavy Metal
03-14-07, 07:33
The Comfort Inn was ok. No one hasseled me there. Fixtures were a bit old but everthing worked.

Dport
03-14-07, 08:35
I didn't see the Holiday Inn Express listed. I stayed there twice last year. HIE isn't five star, but the ones I've stayed in have all had newer furniture and either remodeled or new buildings.

John_Wayne777
03-14-07, 10:55
How is the Comfort Inn? I have a "rewards" card from them and try to stay there or a Comfort Suites whenever I get the chance. I mainly want to make sure the place isnt a dope hole..... getting pestered by guys trying to sell you a dove can get old really quick.

A couple of guys complained about what used to be the Comfort Inn, but I don't remember the use of the word "dope hole". ;)

I stayed at the Hampton Inn, and it was superb.

NCPatrolAR
03-14-07, 12:52
Hmmmmm, might be staying at the Hampton.

subzero
03-14-07, 19:23
A couple of guys complained about what used to be the Comfort Inn, but I don't remember the use of the word "dope hole". ;)

I stayed at the Hampton Inn, and it was superb.

I think that was me, talking about the Crossroads Inn. Since they stopped being a Best Western, the place seems to have gone downhill. Plus, the price has gone up ~10 bucks a night since the first time we stayed there last March. If I'm going to pay that much for a room in BFE, it should at least have a properly made bed and no axle grease on the bed and floors.

I'll be staying somewhere else next time.

MayoMan
03-14-07, 20:41
I made mine at the Holiday Inn Express. Actually in La Crosse but comes up in a search of South Hill.
Link:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/sothl?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/hi/1/en/hotelsearchresults

Heavy Metal
03-14-07, 21:04
The Comfort Inn is still the Comfort Inn.

Make sure your AC works and you will be good to go.

WillC
03-15-07, 09:38
The Three Angles Inn is a fantastic bed and breakfast just two minutes from the range, the girlfriend had a great time there while I was down the road. Tom and Pat are gracious hosts and that was honestly some of the best sleep I have had in ages.

Will

DrMark
03-15-07, 16:14
If I'm going to pay that much for a room in BFE, it should at least have a properly made bed and no axle grease on the bed and floors.

That was probably where one of us cleaned our guns while staying there during one of the previous classes!

FWIW, I stayed in the Hampton Inn during the March 2006 class, and it was fine.

Mark

VA_Dinger
03-15-07, 22:43
The Three Angles Inn is a fantastic bed and breakfast just two minutes from the range, the girlfriend had a great time there while I was down the road. Tom and Pat are gracious hosts and that was honestly some of the best sleep I have had in ages.

Will

Hello Will

How much was it per night?

Robb Jensen
03-16-07, 05:00
That was probably where one of us cleaned our guns while staying there during one of the previous classes!

FWIW, I stayed in the Hampton Inn during the March 2006 class, and it was fine.

Mark

The Hampton was nice. I think we paid roughly $90 per night which included a sufficient Continental breakfast.

WillC
03-16-07, 05:52
Hello Will

How much was it per night?

"looking at the reciept" ... 110.25 for the bigger queen sized bedroom. I figure if you factor in the outstanding breakfast that price compares pretty favorably.

Will

Robb Jensen
03-16-07, 06:09
"looking at the reciept" ... 110.25 for the bigger queen sized bedroom. I figure if you factor in the outstanding breakfast that price compares pretty favorably.

Will

That place looks VERY NICE WillC, here's (http://www.threeangelsinn.com/roomrates.html) their website.

VA_Dinger
03-30-07, 11:36

Will

That's not bad at all considering the breakfast.

VA_Dinger
04-13-07, 20:08
I don't know if this works at other places, but at the Best Western you can ask for the "Fishing Rate" which saves a few bucks over doing reservations online. There's a big lake just down the road from South Hill and in the summer parking lots all over are filled up with bass boats.

This works like a champ by the way.

Saved me a few bucks.

NCPatrolAR
05-07-07, 10:04
Staying at the Comfort Inn was like being on the set of Boyz N Da Hood. I'm honestly surpirsed I didnt hear gun shots at any point during my stay there.

Think I'm going to try the Hampton next time.

rhino
05-08-07, 02:01
Staying at the Comfort Inn was like being on the set of Boyz N Da Hood. I'm honestly surpirsed I didnt hear gun shots at any point during my stay there.

That's one of the times when it's better to have an Aimpoint than an EOTech. You can leave it "on" all night while you're sleeping with your AR across your chest and not worry about the batteries later in the week. :D

VA_Dinger
05-16-07, 07:14

Really? I've never had a problem.

Hell, Grant loved the place. :D

NCPatrolAR
05-16-07, 13:55
I had a feeling the CI wasnt the greatest place to stay when the first person I saw on the property appeared to be a prostitute. On Saturday, I thought one of the guys I was up there with was about to get robbed when I saw a silver Neon make an eburpt stop beside him when he was at the rear of his car. Needless to say it wouldnt have faired to well for any robbery suspects, but I'd rather not go through a mess like that out of state. :p

Jay Cunningham
05-16-07, 14:22
I had a feeling the CI wasnt the greatest place to stay when the first person I saw on the property appeared to be a prostitute.

Man, I wish I would have seen her.

I was happy, I was waaay in the back and secluded from prying eyes. The back of my SUV was a couple of feet from the door of my room.

TOrrock
09-05-07, 00:51
I stayed at the Comfort Inn for the recent Battle Rifle class and it was clean and comfortable, I'd stay there again.

VA_Dinger
04-07-08, 00:10
I have edited this thread to include the Three Angels Inn. It is a bed & breakfast type inn very close to the range. By far the closest lodging for any class. They come highly recommended by everyone. The rooms are very nice, relatively cheap, VERY close to the range, and the owners are very gun friendly. They get my highest recommendation.

Three Angels Inn - Very nice and highly recommended. Less than a mile from the range.
P.O. Box 883
236 Pleasant Grove Road
Lawrenceville, VA 23868

Jay Cunningham
04-07-08, 01:24
I have edited this thread to include the Three Angels Inn. It is a bed & breakfast type inn very close to the range. By far the closest lodging for any class. They come highly recommended by everyone. The rooms are very nice, relatively cheap, VERY close to the range, and the owners are very gun friendly. They get my highest recommendation.

Three Angels Inn - Very nice and highly recommended. Less than a mile from the range.
P.O. Box 883
236 Pleasant Grove Road
Lawrenceville, VA 23868

And the food absolutely kicks ass.

John_Wayne777
04-07-08, 21:53

The Hampton Inn was very nice. Big king sized bed, clean rooms...and just up the road from the only dining experiences to be had in South Hill.

riverguide
04-08-08, 17:02
Is there camping at the range or in the area close to the range?

Thanks

VA_Dinger
04-08-08, 18:19
Is there camping at the range or in the area close to the range?

Thanks

No camping at the range.

I'm not sure if any camp grounds are close-by or not.

30 cal slut
04-22-08, 13:13
Hookers in South Hill? Good Lord!

I spent a few evenings at the Hampton Inn this past February.

No issues, but I wonder if the maids got annoyed with the constant aroma of Hoppes #9 wafting in the room. IIRC rate was under $100/night (AAA rate) and breakfast wasn't bad.

mark5pt56
04-22-08, 13:27
And the food absolutely kicks ass.

I ate more food in three days than I do in a month!

reaper7
07-14-08, 07:57
Don't stay at the Comfort Inn unless you enjoy a nightly rap concert that is held in the McDonalds parking lot.

30 cal slut
07-14-08, 08:56
didn't somebody get bit in the face by a roach at the comfort inn this weekend?

NCPatrolAR
07-14-08, 12:01

I heard someone say that out on the range. Another I'm glad I stayed at the Holiday Inn this time.

reaper7
07-14-08, 12:07
Yes, I can't believe I forgot to mention that! I was a witness. It's body was quivering at the foot of my bed the next morning. It was as big as by thumb.

30 cal slut
07-14-08, 12:13
I'm gonna post this here cuz its sticky:

Note to self:

NEXT TIME BRING A #!@#$#@!#$ FOLDING CHAIR.

John_Wayne777
07-14-08, 13:41

In South Hill/LaCrosse the best places to stay are the Hampton Inn, the Holiday Inn, and perhaps the new Super 8 that they just built.

The other hotels are ghetto....and by ghetto I don't mean in the "urban charm" way, I mean the infested with drug dealers and prostitutes way. I told Heavy_Metal he was crazy not to have a loaded gun concealed on his person to stay at that Comfort Inn with all the assorted dumbasses I saw at the place...including the couple of homeboys who were giving me a hard look right as I pulled up to help him with his Glock sights. Hell, in that place I'd wear a holster to bed.

I'd much rather split a room with somebody staying at the Hampton or Holiday Inn (even if I had to sleep on the floor) than stay at that Comfort Inn.

TOrrock
07-14-08, 14:43
Big +1 to what J_W777 just said.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn and it was clean, comfortable, and easy access for hauling stuff.

I'll definitely stay again.

Heavy Metal
07-14-08, 15:28
Dude, we used to race Cochroaches in AIT at Ft. Jackson. Big-Ass Palmetto Roaches. I don't care how clean the barracks were, they were there.

The VA roaches don't scare me at all. I'll keep staying at the Comfort Inn (free for me!) and make sure my room is on the back side away from the weekend rap concert.

The other hotels are ghetto....and by ghetto I don't mean in the "urban charm" way, I mean the infested with drug dealers and prostitutes way. I told Heavy_Metal he was crazy not to have a loaded gun concealed on his person to stay at that Comfort Inn with all the assorted dumbasses I saw at the place...including the couple of homeboys who were giving me a hard look right as I pulled up to help him with his Glock sights. Hell, in that place I'd wear a holster to bed.

Dude, it's all in the tude! And I damn sure haven't found any prostitutes there yet! I did keep my blaster on the nightstand though.

Heavy Metal
07-14-08, 15:31

My sister was bitten by a Moose!

SinnFéinM1911
07-14-08, 18:08

yes ! on his cheek !

VA_Dinger
12-07-08, 22:51
FYI: I figured this thread might help a few of the guys who just signed up find lodging for there classes. From now on I will include a link in my class sign-up email.

30 cal slut
12-11-08, 09:22
not sure if this is relevent to the thread, but i would add that it appears that the folks at the hampton inn didn't have any problems with some class attendees *cough* open carrying on the premises. (sep '08 handgun class). just an fyi.