PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Tactical 1-Day Advanced Pistol Marksmanship Class Nov. 28, 2009

VA_Dinger
08-02-09, 18:33
Vickers Tactical 1-Day Advanced Pistol Marksmanship Class Nov. 28, 2009

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/vickers-tactical-logo.jpg

www.vickerstactical.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/LAV1DAYAPPISTOL28NOV_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/3109a.jpg

Larry Vickers is a retired career special operations soldier with 20-plus years of service to our country. A longtime 1st SFOD- Delta operational member, he was a key player in the small arms marksmanship expertise and weapons selection of that Unit. He brings a very unique set of skills to the market, and has a wide and varied background in the firearms industry.

Select Special Operations , Military, and Law Enforcement Units seek him out on a regular basis for expert combat marksmanship training. Considered one of the best combat marksmanship instructors in the U.S, he has become one of the most sought after instructors in the Worldwide Special Operations community.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/logo.jpg

Grey Group Training:
www.greygrouptraining.com

Vickers Tactical 1-Day Advanced Pistol Marksmanship Class Nov. 28, 2009

Eight mentally fatiguing hours on the range making each and every shot count. This course defines the technical aspects of marksmanship, specifically relating to the service pistol. Larry Vickers gives students his take on the mechanical accuracy of the service pistol, and what we can realistically expect to see in real world conditions. Students can expect extensive trigger control diagnostics, dissection of the principles of marksmanship, and challenging courses of fire that are anything but basic. This course is a unique opportunity to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, and further develop these skills in order to break through that next plateau.

Primary Instructor: Larry Vickers

- Class date: November 28, 2009.

- Cost: $250

Class Gear Requirements:

- Eye and Ear Protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)
- Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
- Serviceable holster
- Minimum one double magazine pouch / Ability to carry minimum of two magazines
- Minimum of three serviceable magazines (5 is better)
- 400 rounds
- Suitable range wear depending on the season
- Good attitude

If you are interested in attending this class please use this link to the Grey Group Training sign-up page:
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/GAnderson/-strse-3109/LAV-1-DAY-AP/Detail.bok

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me;
training@greygrouptraining.com

John_Wayne777
08-02-09, 18:45
Ummm....ignore me because I can't seem to master actually following instructions. Duh.

Heavy Metal
08-02-09, 18:54
This may well be workable for me. The only down side is every idiot will be on the road the following day post-turkey day.

VA_Dinger
08-02-09, 18:57
Ummm....ignore me because I can't seem to master actually following instructions. Duh.

Not a problem Tim, we would he glad to have you in the class. :D

Heavy Metal
08-03-09, 12:37
Mark me down as wanting to attend.

VA_Dinger
08-03-09, 19:07
Mark me down as wanting to attend.

10-4 Mike, welcome aboard.

Brother Rat
08-03-09, 19:54
Looks like I may be able to make this one. This is me throwing my hat in the ring as well.

GLOCKMASTER
08-04-09, 19:19
This is a great class and I enjoyed the one I attended last year.

flyfishr
08-04-09, 20:55
I'm in!

VA_Dinger
09-02-09, 11:46
FYI: We still have a few open seats for this class.

If anybody is interested in attending please let me know or just follow the provided links to the Grey Group Training class sign-up page.

Thanks

VA_Dinger
09-13-09, 17:51
FYI: Grey Group has rental Glock 17/19's available and we can also provide ammo. Both would be delivered to the range before the class starts. If anybody needs this service just let me know or call the Grey Group store 910-323-GREY (4739).

Thank you.

VA_Dinger
11-25-09, 08:14
FYI: I sent out the directions to range, start time, meeting place, and the weapon and gear requirements info out a few days ago to everybody who has signed up.

If you signed up but did not receive this email please let me know ASAP.

Thank you,

Paul

Heavy Metal
11-29-09, 18:22
This may well be workable for me. The only down side is every idiot will be on the road the following day post-turkey day.

Actually, the idiots were on the road today. The interstate crawled to a stop several times around the VA/NC border.

I took the back roads and went an extra 30 miles to get out of that mess.

Another great class by Larry. He managed to pack a lot into one day.

More in a couple of days.

Brother Rat
12-02-09, 11:21
This was my first LAV class, and I'll admit I was a little unsure as to what to expect. I had read a bunch of AAR's and all of Larry's articles I could get my hands on to get a feel for what level of skill I should be expected to have prior to showing up. I concluded that my level of experience should put me somewhere in the lower middle of the class and that I probably wouldn't slow things down, although I can't shoot a pistol weak-handed to save my life (literally I suppose.) Once the class got rolling however, I found that my concerns were unfounded and that I was being overly critical of my own abilities with a handgun. This was an advanced class, but the level of experience of the students ranged from people who had never taken formal instruction before to phenomenal shooters who do this sort of thing for a living.
As expected, the emphasis of this class was on the fundamentals of marksmanship specific to the pistol, and shooters were expected to keep all shots in the black on an NRA bullseye target. To achieve this end, most of the morning portion of the class was spent on various dry fire drills. I have done and continue to do quite a bit of dry firing, to include ball and dummy drills, but the variations of these drills Larry put the class through pushed my shooting to a new level on the spot. I can't wait to run these drills at my upcoming range sessions and see where they take me.
The afternoon was when the "advanced" nature of the class became evident. We took what we learned from the drills in the morning and applied it to shooting on the move in all directions and with reloads. The same accuracy standards applied in the afternoon as in the morning: all hits in the black. I found that for some reason I like to throw shots high while shooting on the move. I've evidently neglected this area in my training and now know what I need to work on.
As Larry said, the drills done in the morning were worth the price of admission, however, being present for his musings on a wide variety of shooting-related subjects and the in-depth diagnosis he gave of each shooter's trigger press were worth any amount of money he felt like charging. Truly a bargain at any price if you're serious about taking your shooting ability up a few notches. While on the subject of money, at $250 and 400 rounds of 9mm, this is one of the least expensive classes I've taken. Just another plus.
This was a great class and I walked away from it blown away by the seemingly effortless way Larry is able to impart huge amounts of advice and reinforce it all throughout the day. I am truly a better shooter for having been a part of it. Also, it's always great to get out and bust caps with a bunch of like-minded people, and I thank you all for the opportunity to train. Thanks also to Grey Group for making this course available, you guys run a good business. My only regret is that I didn't make it into the shop because I had to run home and try and beat the traffic. Oh well, next time.

Dan (guy with the M&P9)
Proud member of Team Ramrod:D
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/Brotherrat/100_1887.jpg

d90king
12-02-09, 11:43
Thanks for the brief AAR. I am sure it was an excellent class as usual.