PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a 308 AR

davidk
01-30-07, 17:01
Besides DPMS, Armalite, POF, (Rock River sometime in 2007?) and Knights, who makes an AR in 308?

And who makes a good one?

TOrrock
01-30-07, 17:16
DSA :D

davidk
01-30-07, 17:46
I checked DSA's site and cant find a 308

TOrrock
01-30-07, 20:44
I checked DSA's site and cant find a 308

I was being a little bit of a smart ass. DSA manufacturers some of the highest quality FAL's, which are extremely reliable and have a lot of accessories for them....and $5.00 magazines.

Besides the manufacturers you listed, no one makes a .308 AR platform that I'm aware of, and I don't think any of them have had the bugs worked out.

SHIVAN
01-30-07, 22:11
.... and I don't think any of them have had the bugs worked out.

It would have been nice to have militaries around the world funding the R&D, like with the M16, FAL, etc...

Alas, these companies must toil along with independant monies.

I believe that ArmaLite is making up new ground in relieving mag related issues of the Ban Era...

They are still expensive in comparison to FAL mags, but I am pleasantly impressed.

TOrrock
01-30-07, 22:55
It would have been nice to have militaries around the world funding the R&D, like with the M16, FAL, etc...

Alas, these companies must toil along with independant monies.

I believe that ArmaLite is making up new ground in relieving mag related issues of the Ban Era...

They are still expensive in comparison to FAL mags, but I am pleasantly impressed.

If the original AR-10 had been able to bust through the dam that the FAL and G3 had built, I think it would have been more popular and had more development. It also came out right at the tail end of the MBR procurement.

Everything I've heard about the Portugese and Sudanese pattern AR-10's has been positive. Supposedly the Portugese soldiers that were issued them in Mozambique and Angola preferred them to the FAL and G3 that was also in service.

SinnFéinM1911
01-31-07, 01:17
Civ ...

POF, Hands down !!

Bolt_Overide
01-31-07, 12:41
I was being a little bit of a smart ass. DSA manufacturers some of the highest quality FAL's, which are extremely reliable and have a lot of accessories for them....and $5.00 magazines.

Besides the manufacturers you listed, no one makes a .308 AR platform that I'm aware of, and I don't think any of them have had the bugs worked out.

I beg to differ sir, my ar10 runs flawlessly, but then I dont own any wecsog or backyardbubba magazines.

Robb Jensen
01-31-07, 13:02
I beg to differ sir, my ar10 runs flawlessly, but then I dont own any wecsog or backyardbubba magazines.

A good one squeaked out ;) We send back about 8 of every 10 Armalite AR10s back to get them to work. We've sold maybe 20 DPMS guns, 1 that those I know of went back to get it to work.

Also your logic doesn't follow the rules of logic.

You can't argue from the particular to the general.
You can argue from the general to the particular.

For instance, I have a gray tabbie cat. If I never see another cat in my life and I erroneously assume that all cats must be gray tabbies, I would be incorrect and illogical.

I can correctly say that some cats are gray tabbies since mine is.

So some AR10s work flawlessly (as yours does), some don't.

SHIVAN
01-31-07, 16:40
So some AR10s work flawlessly (as yours does), some don't.

I can assure you that realistic numbers of working vs. non-working AR-10's is probably more along the lines of 100:1.

Since ArmaLite will not release warranty claim figures, we can only wonder at the true numbers, however I can say with great certainty that even 30 "bad" units may not be a statistically valid sample size in consideration of the total units sold.

FWIW, the one I saw hanging in Bernie's shop had a muzzle brake -- the muzzle brake indicates that this might be old stock.

Older guns are not wearing the latest and greatest enhancements to several key components of the system. Not very comforting to a person who buys one that doesn't work, but pretty easily explained.

Robb Jensen
01-31-07, 16:50
FWIW, the one I saw hanging in Bernie's shop had a muzzle brake -- the muzzle brake indicates that this might be old stock.

That one (green furniture) w/stainless bbl we have on the wall is used (on consignment). The first two rows (nearest the windows and door) of long guns and first two cabinets of handguns are all used/consignment guns.

I've worked there since the summer of 2005 and all the new ones we've sold since then have had flash suppressors or no threaded muzzles at all, in that time we sent a bunch back, probably 10-15 uppers, 99% of the time fail to feed (with any mag) or failure to extract/eject.

SHIVAN
01-31-07, 19:03
I've worked there since the summer of 2005 and all the new ones we've sold since then have had flash suppressors or no threaded muzzles at all, in that time we sent a bunch back, probably 10-15 uppers, 99% of the time fail to feed (with any mag) or failure to extract/eject.

That's all fine and well, and good to know, however how many do you think have been sold that work just fine in your store, and outside your store??

It's a rhetorical question....

Even at 10-15 uppers, it's an insignificant number and honestly, your "logic theory" would apply...certainly a trend....but likely rounded out in the zeroes of total sales.

I can't be the only one to not have problems. In fact, I know I'm not, but it's far more dramatic to throw those sort of things out there. :p

bones
03-23-07, 10:30
GA Precision

Noveske - I,m curious what the wait would be ?

Lumpy196
03-23-07, 10:40
I can't be the only one to not have problems. In fact, I know I'm not, but it's far more dramatic to throw those sort of things out there. :p

I like being dramatic about how wrong you are on this ;)

One Shot
03-24-07, 20:26
Superior Arms makes AR-15 rifles in a variety of calibers. They also make AR-10 rifles too. They have models in .204 Ruger, 6.8 SPC and so on. They have .308 AR-10s. You can reach them at: sales@superiorarms.com or call them at: 319-523-2016. I own one of their S-15 rifles, a type of M-4 carbine, and it shoots real nice. If you ask for Terry Williams he can answer your questions. The company is based in Iowa north of Burlington.:)

WillC
03-24-07, 20:49
If I was buying one today, it would be Noveske.

persona non grata
04-07-07, 02:19
we sent a bunch back, probably 10-15 uppers, 99% of the time fail to feed (with any mag) or failure to extract/eject.

That issue was corrected several years ago with an extractor spring upgrade. ArmaLite will send the parts out for free on request.

Robb Jensen
04-07-07, 05:37
That issue was corrected several years ago with an extractor spring upgrade. ArmaLite will send the parts out for free on request.

We sent one back a few months ago, I'm not a math major but 2 months ago doesn't = several years here in my world.

"I live in my own little world, but it's ok... they know me here." - Unknown

persona non grata
04-07-07, 12:24
What is the manufacture date on the one you sent back? I stated a fact, your anecdotal evidence doesn't change anything.

FJB
04-08-07, 00:12
If I was buying one today, it would be Noveske.

Concur. If you want an AR10 to run flawlessly then look no further than the Noveske Project Leonidas. You get what you pay for...."buy cheap, buy twice" and "trying to save a dime, you'll spend a dollar every time."

S/F

Robb Jensen
04-08-07, 11:47
What is the manufacture date on the one you sent back? I stated a fact, your anecdotal evidence doesn't change anything.

Don't know, I don't have a machine to do a carbon dating test to check.

I'm speaking from first hand knowledge here that we've sent many back. Are you speaking from first hand knowledge that you've tested EVERY LATELY MADE/OR FIXED AR10s? And they all now work?

persona non grata
04-08-07, 17:23
Don't know, I don't have a machine to do a carbon dating test to check.

I'm speaking from first hand knowledge here that we've sent many back. Are you speaking from first hand knowledge that you've tested EVERY LATELY MADE/OR FIXED AR10s? And they all now work?

Checking the terial number is generally more accurate than carbon dating. :rolleyes:

I'm speaking from first hand knowledge that I haven't seen a current production AR10 with the problems that you describe since the extractor upgrade was released, and the upgrade has 'cured' every older AR10 that I've worked on.

I'm trying to share my experiences and knowledge with everyone, apparently you aren't interested in learning anything new. Happy trails...

Robb Jensen
04-08-07, 18:33
Checking the terial number is generally more accurate than carbon dating. :rolleyes:

I'm speaking from first hand knowledge that I haven't seen a current production AR10 with the problems that you describe since the extractor upgrade was released, and the upgrade has 'cured' every older AR10 that I've worked on.

I'm trying to share my experiences and knowledge with everyone, apparently you aren't interested in learning anything new. Happy trails...

Sounds like you're arguing emotionally and not logically.

So you've seen SOME late model AR10s (all the ones you've worked on) that run. Unless you work for Armalite and do the test firing of ALL late model AR10s you can't say that they ALL run. Do you follow the logic?

I learn based on reality/facts. Not based on opinions. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

persona non grata
04-08-07, 19:15
So you've seen SOME late model AR10s that run and unless you work for Armalite and do the test firing these you can't say ALL late model AR10s run. Do you follow the logic?

I learn based on reality/facts. Not based on opinions. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

There is no logic in your gibberish. You are trying to twist my words. I never stated that every new AR10 is flawless. I didn't post my opinion, I stated a fact - ArmaLite has released an upgrade that addresses the issues you described.

Your implication that NO current-manufacture AR10 will feed/extract/eject because you saw ONE a few months ago that had problems is simply absurd. Unless you test EVERY new AR10, you cannot state that there is an ongoing problem, or even a statistically significant issue.

TOrrock
04-08-07, 19:22
Before things get too heated, let's walk away from the keyboard for a moment and take a breather.

Robb Jensen
04-08-07, 19:50
There is no logic in your gibberish. You are trying to twist my words. I never stated that every new AR10 is flawless. I didn't post my opinion, I stated a fact - ArmaLite has released an upgrade that addresses the issues you described.

Your implication that NO current-manufacture AR10 will feed/extract/eject because you saw ONE a few months ago that had problems is simply absurd. Unless you test EVERY new AR10, you cannot state that there is an ongoing problem, or even a statistically significant issue.

Now you're just talking out of your arse. Had you had your cranium far enough out you might have noticed what I said on page 1. It's where I said that we send about 8 of every 10 AR10s back to get them to work. Where you're getting that I said 'no AR10' will run is beyond me. Some work perfectly right out of the box, in my experience that some is about 20% thus far.

When you have to send back 80% of what you sell to get them to run there is a problem. Some (including me) would call this a clue!