PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between two uppers

Alex V
08-04-09, 15:14
Thank you so much tho those who helped me in my previous port. Based on your oppinions I have decided to go ahead and get a new upper.

I like two choices:
A. BCM 16" Carbine Upper reciever group [I am choosing the 16" instead of 14.5" because I never want to have the problem with a pinned muzzle brake again] BCM or LMT BCG, the LaRue low profile gas block, LaRue 12" handguard, and Troy front/rear folding BUIS. Buy the parts as they become available, and assemble them myself. Saves roughly $150 over option B. I am not afraid of the assembly, seems strait forward.

B. Order the complete LaRue Tactical Stealth Sniper System upper which will come with the same handguard and gas block. Also get the same Troy front/rear sights and call it a day. Pin it to my lower and go shooting.

What do you guys think?
Thanks!

jcamp
08-04-09, 15:18
Get the LaRue. Then you get dillo dust.....mmmmmm.

Alex V
08-04-09, 15:25
Get the LaRue. Then you get dillo dust.....mmmmmm.

Um... Im a total Noob... what does that mean? lol

stevenhyde
08-04-09, 15:32

seasoning for food.
i would build my own upper. but i like using my hands and saving money.

Sam
08-04-09, 15:33
Dillo dust is dry rub for your bbq ribs. It's one of the things you get when you order from Larue, other things are: baseball cap, dillo bottle opener and bumper sticker.

Mark71
08-04-09, 15:37

LaRue throws in some free goodies with every order. One of the freebies is dillo dust which is a pretty good BBQ dry rub. Check out this thread.....

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=205177

Alex V
08-04-09, 15:37
Dillo dust is dry rub for your bbq ribs. It's one of the things you get when you order from Larue, other things are: baseball cap, dillo bottle opener and bumper sticker.

hahahaha gotcha!

So far the vote is 1:1

Is one of a better quality than another? I know people think Highly of BCM, but I have not see much about LaRue uppers.

ChristisKing
08-04-09, 15:50
Which ever one costs less cause they are both good.

h2o4lf
08-04-09, 16:02
I am all about saving $$$ I also agree it's more fun to make it yourself. On the other hand all it takes is some ding dong to mention a ban or that firearms are bad etc. This tends to send people into a buying panic frenzy and the capitalists come out in full force. So if you can get the parts now. You have the parts. If you wait, you may get the parts , you might not, or you'll have to pay a premium for the same parts. Are you a gambler??

Captains1911
08-04-09, 16:10
I have a LaRue stealth upper as well as a complete BCM upper. I think your choice depends on your intended use. If you are looking for more of a precision, lower round count rifle, I would go LaRue. Otherwise, BCM. The main differences here are the barrels: the LaRue is SS whereas BCM is chrome-lined. I believe the BCM BCGs are built a little better as well.

QuickStrike
08-04-09, 16:12
What are you going to use it for most?

If I wanted accuracy, I'd go for the LaRue system. Because I'm thinking that their upper and barrel makes a difference in accuracy.

For a more general purpose upper I'd go with BCM.

IMO from reading about both.

Alex V
08-04-09, 16:23
Excelent points from all. I think you are helping me make a choice.

Simply going by past experiences, I have had my current AR for about a year now, and when I think about it, I have shot under 1000 rounds through it.

I would love to have the most accurate setup posible and aspire to be able to use it to its full potential. I do not see myself going through 15,000 rounds in the next few years. Ammo is not cheap, and in NJ there are simply not as many places to shoot.

I do however see myself joining a gun club so I can shoot 100-300 yards with some good optics. Which how this entire thing began.

When I go to the range, I will go through 100 rounds TOPS on the AR! I bring my pistol, and my AK, let my GF/Mom/Dad/Friends have a go for a few rounds at each and so on. We stay for about an hour then go home.

I think having said that, the LaRue setup seems to be the right choice for me, unless I am missing something. If this was a service weapon, I would imagine myself going for the BCM Upper.

Thanks guys! Unless someone thinks I am wrong, I will order the La Rue tomorrow :-D

motoman
08-04-09, 16:29
get the cheaper one and spend the rest on ammo

Alex V
08-04-09, 17:59
get the cheaper one and spend the rest on ammo

thats another way of looking at it lol

Captains1911
08-04-09, 18:43
Excelent points from all. I think you are helping me make a choice.

Simply going by past experiences, I have had my current AR for about a year now, and when I think about it, I have shot under 1000 rounds through it.

I would love to have the most accurate setup posible and aspire to be able to use it to its full potential. I do not see myself going through 15,000 rounds in the next few years. Ammo is not cheap, and in NJ there are simply not as many places to shoot.

I do however see myself joining a gun club so I can shoot 100-300 yards with some good optics. Which how this entire thing began.

When I go to the range, I will go through 100 rounds TOPS on the AR! I bring my pistol, and my AK, let my GF/Mom/Dad/Friends have a go for a few rounds at each and so on. We stay for about an hour then go home.

I think having said that, the LaRue setup seems to be the right choice for me, unless I am missing something. If this was a service weapon, I would imagine myself going for the BCM Upper.

Thanks guys! Unless someone thinks I am wrong, I will order the La Rue tomorrow :-D

Sounds like a good choice, especially since you don't run them hard and are looking for accuracy. Be prepared for a 10 week wait on your LaRue, but well worth it.

Alex V
08-04-09, 19:31
Sounds like a good choice, especially since you don't run them hard and are looking for accuracy. Be prepared for a 10 week wait on your LaRue, but well worth it.

I was told 12 weeks...

Eh, the BCM upper is out of stock as well so who knows how long that would take.

Mark71
08-05-09, 02:47
I was told 12 weeks...

Eh, the BCM upper is out of stock as well so who knows how long that would take.

Why not go with a BCM Mid-Length? Grant currently has them in stock.

Alex V
08-05-09, 06:36
Why not go with a BCM Mid-Length? Grant currently has them in stock.

I apologize for being ignorant, but, Link?

rob_s
08-05-09, 07:03
I think your choice depends on your intended use. If you are looking for more of a precision, lower round count rifle, I would go LaRue. Otherwise, BCM. The main differences here are the barrels: the LaRue is SS whereas BCM is chrome-lined. I believe the BCM BCGs are built a little better as well.

I agree with this. To a certain extent the choice is apples:oranges.

Alex V
08-05-09, 07:43
I agree with this. To a certain extent the choice is apples:oranges.

Well the most it will see is 1000 to 1500 rounds a year, and even that will be pushing it I think...

But sometimes when you are hungry, the choise IS, do I eat an Apple, or an Orange ;)

rob_s
08-05-09, 07:44
As stated, it comes down to the kind of shooting you're going to be doing. Precision static shooting the Larue would get the edge, longevity and durability the BCM would get the nod.

Or you can get the best of both worlds and buy one of the BCM stainless-barrel uppers. ;)

Alex V
08-05-09, 08:04
As stated, it comes down to the kind of shooting you're going to be doing. Precision static shooting the Larue would get the edge, longevity and durability the BCM would get the nod.

Or you can get the best of both worlds and buy one of the BCM stainless-barrel uppers. ;)

You guys really like to confuse the noobs lol

Mark71
08-05-09, 12:55
I apologize for being ignorant, but, Link?

BCM uppers available here......

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dupper%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

Alex V
08-05-09, 14:21
BCM uppers available here......

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dupper%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

You are really messing with me lol

I see they have the 16" mid length upper in stock.

Which is more accurate, The La Rue 16" upper of BCM 16" upper? I was told LaRue in this very post. Longevity is not an issue since I do not shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds.

Also, BCM seems to only make an auto BCG, thats a no no, is it bad to use a LMT BCG in the BCM upper?

rob_s
08-05-09, 14:30
Also, BCM seems to only make an auto BCG, thats a no no,

What does this mean?

Alex V
08-05-09, 14:38
What does this mean?

sorry if I got my acronims confused, Im still a noob lol

according to BCM, their bolt carrier group is "auto" does this mean "full auto" or "semi auto"

I can't have a fully automatic riffle in NJ.

Sam
08-05-09, 14:54
Full auto bolt is slightly different from semi auto bolt but in no way does it make a gun goes full auto. The sear, selector switch and hammer are the parts that make a gun goes full auto therefore turning the gun into an NFA item.

People use full auto bolt in semi auto guns all the time.

Alex V
08-05-09, 15:17
Full auto bolt is slightly different from semi auto bolt but in no way does it make a gun goes full auto. The sear, selector switch and hammer are the parts that make a gun goes full auto therefore turning the gun into an NFA item.

People use full auto bolt in semi auto guns all the time.

Once again... learned something new... So I can use this BCG without the fear of going to jail. Excelent.

They are in stock along with the 16" Mid Upper...

Im having a real problem choosing lol

Which one do you guys think would be more accurate. Take durability out of the equasion because I shoot A LOT less than 99% of you. :cool:

Sam
08-05-09, 15:25
Which one do you guys think would be more accurate. Take durability out of the equasion because I shoot A LOT less than 99% of you. :cool:

What kind of scope do you intend to use? ammo? what kind of trigger do you have? will your trigger support shooting tiny groups at 100/200/300/infinity?

Alex V
08-05-09, 15:33
What kind of scope do you intend to use? ammo? what kind of trigger do you have? will your trigger support shooting tiny groups at 100/200/300/infinity?

I don't know if any of that matters. Both uppers will be on the same lower and use the same ammo. So it seems to me like they will have an equal oppertunity.

All things being equal.. Which will shoot a smaller group?

BTW. I know I must seem like a total annoyance asking the same question over and over. I remind myself of some of the drag racing /LSx noobs I confront on other forums. I know how annoyed I get with them, so I have to thank all of you for not teling me to F off already.

Captains1911
08-05-09, 15:49
With all other factors the same (trigger, ammo, scope, SHOOTER, etc.), the Larue will be more accurate, that's what it's built for.

UVvis
08-05-09, 15:51
Your level of precision will vary gun to gun, load to load. The BCM guns are designed to be service guns, the Larue guns are designed to be more of Match guns. The Larue would give you a better chance of shooting smaller group sizes.

What is the type of shooting you are planning to do with this gun?

And cause I'm anal about some technical definitions of some thingies...
Remember, precision is based off the of repeatability of the system. (small groups sizes)

Accuracy is based off of how close to a desired goal you are getting. (hitting the bullseye)

A 10" group centered on your target is more 'accurate' but less 'precise' than a 1/4" group two feet to the left.

Alex V
08-05-09, 16:00
With all other factors the same (trigger, ammo, scope, SHOOTER, etc.), the Larue will be more accurate, that's what it's built for.

Thats what Im looking for. Thank you

Your level of precision will vary gun to gun, load to load. The BCM guns are designed to be service guns, the Larue guns are designed to be more of Match guns. The Larue would give you a better chance of shooting smaller group sizes.

What is the type of shooting you are planning to do with this gun?

And cause I'm anal about some technical definitions of some thingies...
Remember, precision is based off the of repeatability of the system. (small groups sizes)

Accuracy is based off of how close to a desired goal you are getting. (hitting the bullseye)

A 10" group centered on your target is more 'accurate' but less 'precise' than a 1/4" group two feet to the left.

Gotcha! :-D

Thanks for the explination. It's kind of similar to when I have to describe the differance between a fast car, and a quick car in the drag racing world. Fast car has more MPH, quick car gets to the finish line... well.. quicker...

This will not be a service weapon in the least. Im an Architect, I doubt I will be in many shootouts... However, I would like to eventualy enter into some riffle compentitions at the local gun club, once my skill lever is no longer laughable.

Based on your post, it seems as though my original gut feeling was correct, and I should go with the La Rue upper.

When I factor in all the parts I will need, the price diference is almost not worth talking about.

Sam
08-06-09, 08:13
I don't know if any of that matters. Both uppers will be on the same lower and use the same ammo. So it seems to me like they will have an equal oppertunity.

All things being equal.. Which will shoot a smaller group?

BTW. I know I must seem like a total annoyance asking the same question over and over. I remind myself of some of the drag racing /LSx noobs I confront on other forums. I know how annoyed I get with them, so I have to thank all of you for not teling me to F off already.

I was trying to get you to answer your own question. Like another member said, everything being equal (especially the same lower), the Larue will be more accurate. Go for the 18".

evileyeswatchin
08-06-09, 08:17
I have a LaRue stealth upper as well as a complete BCM upper. I think your choice depends on your intended use. If you are looking for more of a precision, lower round count rifle, I would go LaRue. Otherwise, BCM. The main differences here are the barrels: the LaRue is SS whereas BCM is chrome-lined. I believe the BCM BCGs are built a little better as well.

gotta agree with this

Alex V
08-06-09, 09:10
I was trying to get you to answer your own question. Like another member said, everything being equal (especially the same lower), the Larue will be more accurate. Go for the 18".

Looks like Im going with the LaRue! :-D

18"... really?

I was honestly thinking about a 16" because I see myself building a AA 18" 6.5 Grendel riffle in the future [1-2 years]

Sam
08-06-09, 09:57
18" will turn your upper into an SPR. Wouldn't that be cool? do a search for JerryR's posts (I think that's his name). He's built a nice 18" SPR.

Rated21R
08-06-09, 10:22
I would do as many people have said on this forum:

Buy the lower priced quality item (as both are great quality) and use the money you save on training and ammo. The more you shoot the better groups you will shoot. An upper, a rilfe, a pistol, whatever are only as good as the operator. Just my 2 cents.

Alex V
08-06-09, 10:55
18" will turn your upper into an SPR. Wouldn't that be cool? do a search for JerryR's posts (I think that's his name). He's built a nice 18" SPR.

Hmmm... interesting.....

Never thought about that. Its not like this is going to be a CQB rifle... They don't even have classes for that around here... A new twist...

18" with 13.2" handguard... The 16" is already longer than the 14.5" i have now, the 18" with a brake will be close to 19.5" that is an added 5" I will have to go home and see if I would like something that long....

Thanks for idea!!!

Alex V
08-06-09, 10:56
I would do as many people have said on this forum:

Buy the lower priced quality item (as both are great quality) and use the money you save on training and ammo. The more you shoot the better groups you will shoot. An upper, a rilfe, a pistol, whatever are only as good as the operator. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you 100%

But, when I add everything up, add the price of the tools I will need, the price is literaly within a few dollars of each other.

Pappabear
08-06-09, 12:34
I have lusted at "Denny's Custom Uppers" since I saw that 18 inch Larue set up he sells. I just told a friend about it, and he bought one. He said he is very happy with his decision. All Top quality. I have bought BCG's and odds and ends from the guy, very good service & delivery. That upper is straight up BADASS!

http://global-tactical.com/dennyscustomuppers.aspx

http://global-tactical.com/customupper18sprkreiger177middygas.aspx

RojasTKD
08-06-09, 12:48
Hmmm... interesting.....

Never thought about that. Its not like this is going to be a CQB rifle... They don't even have classes for that around here... A new twist...

18" with 13.2" handguard... The 16" is already longer than the 14.5" i have now, the 18" with a brake will be close to 19.5" that is an added 5" I will have to go home and see if I would like something that long....

Thanks for idea!!!

If accuracy and small group size is what your after then an 18" SPR is going to be superior to the 16". I also am wanting one of these down the road. ;)

If you plan to build an 18" in 6.5 then I see way you be thinking 16" now. But if that is the case I'd get the more durable BCM upper now, that's just me though.

Captains1911
08-06-09, 13:01
Here's my LaRue w/ 18"/13.2", and FSC556 comp. It's shorter than my standard A4 even with the comp. Still needs bi-pod and scope.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/guns/DSC00680.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/guns/DSC00681.jpg

Alex V
08-06-09, 13:56
If accuracy and small group size is what your after then an 18" SPR is going to be superior to the 16". I also am wanting one of these down the road. ;)

If you plan to build an 18" in 6.5 then I see way you be thinking 16" now. But if that is the case I'd get the more durable BCM upper now, that's just me though.

Well, Im thinking about it, does not mean it will happen lol... Moving in with the GF as we speak, and she is already on my case about my spending on the car, now with the guns, who knows what she will say when it comes time for that lol

Here's my LaRue w/ 18"/13.2", and FSC556 comp. It's shorter than my standard A4 even with the comp. Still needs bi-pod and scope.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/guns/DSC00680.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/guns/DSC00681.jpg

Looks bad a$$... but it may just be too big... Ill have to go home and tape on a piece of paper to AR and see how I feel about the added 5"

Sam
08-06-09, 14:30
... Moving in with the GF as we speak, and she is already on my case about my spending on the car, now with the guns, who knows what she will say when it comes time for that lol

Maybe you should turn in your man card. :o

Alex V
08-06-09, 14:56
Maybe you should turn in your man card. :o

LOL

I just don't need to hear her bitching hahaha You probobly have not had experience with Jersey girls... Ever seen "My Cousin Vinny" hahah

Its not like I can pistol wip her to shut her up or anything... well, not legaly at least lol

Sam
08-06-09, 15:10
Yep, saw My cousin Vinny, Marisa Tomei was a hot tomato. Never had any close encounter with any Jersey girl. Ex wife is a Canadian, so much for that. Back to normal scheduled programs.

Captains1911
08-06-09, 15:49
Well, Im thinking about it, does not mean it will happen lol... Moving in with the GF as we speak, and she is already on my case about my spending on the car, now with the guns, who knows what she will say when it comes time for that lol

Looks bad a$$... but it may just be too big... Ill have to go home and tape on a piece of paper to AR and see how I feel about the added 5"

Added 5"? I thought you were debating between the 16" and 18"?

Sam
08-06-09, 15:55

I think I figured out what he was talking about with that 5", maybe he's concerned about the difference in handguard length, 7" (CAR/M4 length) vs. 12" (SPR)?

Let us know Alex V? did I get the gold star?

rob_s
08-06-09, 16:00

Not for nothing, but this goes so beyond the gun issue.

Alex V
08-06-09, 18:09

What I was saying is that my current upper has a 14.5" barrel. With the 1.5" brake it makes it a 16" barrel. The La Rue is a 16" barrel PLUS a 1.5" brake. Which makes it 1.5" longer than what I have now. If I go with a 18" it will be a total of 19.5" barrel+brake.

so I ****ed up, it will be a total of 3.5" longer than what I have now. 19.5-16 = 3.5, where as the 16" La Rue upper will be 1.5" longer than what I have now.

I guess I confused myself as well as you guys...

Noob = comic relief

Alex V
08-06-09, 18:11
Not for nothing, but this goes so beyond the gun issue.

Dude... you have no idea!

Y couldn't I find a nice Midwestern girl, no. I had to get one born and raised in Jersey...

At least she likes to shoot the AR/AK/Beretta