PDA

View Full Version : New Colt question

beau1911
08-04-09, 15:59
So a friend in need of cash decided to sell me his Wilson customized Colt stainless Govt. Ive wanted this since the day he got it back from them and its finally mine (evil laugh) This is my 3rd 1911 and my only stainless. The only things i want to change are the grips, probably putting on a set of black gunners i have, and the sights. Now i like night sights and this just has white beads so i want to swap them out. Problem is, I shot this pistol already and its dead nuts accurate and i dont want to screw up the POA/POI. I noticed the front sight is pretty high, like

Can someone suggest sights that wont require slide machining in the correct height? Novaks maybe? Any suggestions or reccomendations would be appreciated!

Heres some pics..

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/xTurtlex/DSC02229.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/xTurtlex/DSC02230.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/xTurtlex/DSC02231.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/xTurtlex/DSC02232.jpg

MarshallDodge
08-04-09, 16:08
That's a nice pistola.

Those look like Champions- a Novak clone, so a Novak should drop in without machining.

rubberneck
08-04-09, 16:22
Call Wilson combat they should still have the work order for that gun on file. While the rear appears to be a Novak cut the front sight cut won't be an easy match. I doubt very much anyone here can look at that front sight cut and tell exactly what it is just by eyeballing it. My 1911 with Novak sights has a much different front sight cut than your gun.

beau1911
08-04-09, 16:51
Thanks, my friend still has the work order. I gotta grab it from him.

loupav
08-05-09, 01:43
That's a very nice looking gun. Congrats.

Army Chief
08-05-09, 02:26
I like (and own Wilsons), and I like (and own) Colts, but I don't own any Colt-Wilsons. To lift a line from Van Halen, what you've got there is truly "the best of both worlds."

AC

Dave Berryhill
08-05-09, 08:40
I'm not sure but that looks like it might have the Colt XSE dovetail front sight. If so, it's an oddball dovetail and very hard to find a replacement sight. I tried to get a new front sight a few years ago from Colt and they would only replace it if I sent them the entire slide.

The rear sight is a Novak clone made by champion gun sights and replacing that shouldn't be too much trouble. Novak, Heinie, 10-8, SDM, Champion and others make direct replacements. You might find the sights differ from company to company by a thousandth or two but for the most part they are interchangeable.

I didn't know about Champion at the time I was replacing those XSE sights but my guess is that they make the front sight as well. I'd try contacting them and see if they have a front sight that fits. They sell dovetail front sights in many different configurations, including tritium, but you'll need to measure the dovetail and the height of the front sight before you order one.
http://www.championgunsights.com/

beau1911
08-05-09, 10:52
Thanks very much Dave I really appreciate the info!

beau1911
08-05-09, 10:59
I like (and own Wilsons), and I like (and own) Colts, but I don't own any Colt-Wilsons. To lift a line from Van Halen, what you've got there is truly "the best of both worlds."

AC

Thanks AC, I really love this pistol

zephyr
08-05-09, 11:48
I'm not sure but that looks like it might have the Colt XSE dovetail front sight.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. I had a few of those and remember the sight looking like that. I recommend getting it replaced if at all possible, those sights didn't work out for me. On one of mine, the whole sight fell out after a few hundred rounds. On the other, the cheap little white plastic dot fell out.

Dave Berryhill
08-05-09, 11:52
I drilled and pinned the front sight so it wouldn't move in the dovetail. It's close to the end of the slide but still enough room for a 1/16" roll pin if you are careful.

loupav
08-05-09, 23:04
Would you mind sharing the work order? I have a Colt XSE that looks just like that. I wouldn't mind sending it out to NightHawk or Wilson for some work done to it.

beau1911
08-06-09, 11:21
Would you mind sharing the work order? I have a Colt XSE that looks just like that. I wouldn't mind sending it out to NightHawk or Wilson for some work done to it.

No problem, heres a list of work performed:

Complete Reliability Package
Fit Wison Combat Match Barrel/Bushing
Fit High Ride Grip Safety
Speed Chute MSH/Magwell Fit/Blend to Frame
Install new Trigger/Deluxe Trigger Job
Bead Blast Entire Pistol

loupav
08-07-09, 09:35
Thanks for sharing beau1911. I'll have to call Wilson and/or Nighthawk to see how much it will cost and expected wait time.

loupav
08-07-09, 23:13
I called Nighthawk today and they said the turn around time will be one to two weeks for a Complete Reliability Package, I'm also thinking of having them checker the front strap. And my Wilson beaver tail installed by a local gun smith is sticking, I'll have them fix that as well.

Needless to say, I'm excited! :D

aedavis
08-12-09, 11:10
I don't have anything to add, except to say that is one fine looking pistol. I'm usually not a fan of forward serrations, but Colt just manages to make it look great.

A Stainless XSE is on my short list, and your pictures just make me want one more!

beau1911
08-12-09, 11:44
Thanks for the kind words aedavis, im in the process of changing a few things that were bugging me on it. Ill post some pics of the finished product on fri.

beau1911
08-31-09, 12:11
Finally got her just the way I want. Ditched the FLGR in favor of an Ed Brown GI rod and checkered plug, swapped the Wilson Combat grips for something a little grippier. I originally started with black gunners but since this is a carry gun I ended up going with some black VZ Aliens. I really like the grips, plenty of texture but they dont snag clothes as much a the gunners do. Last and most important to me I added night sights. The back wasnt a problem as I just switched it with a standard Novak LM wide notch. But a big thanks to Dave Berryhill for helping me locate the Tritium front post for the weird XSE dovetail. Both went in without a problem. Now I just have to wait for some new leather to get here for it and ill be happy.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/xTurtlex/DSC02279.jpg

theJanitor
08-31-09, 14:38
Very nice! did your friend supply the beavertail to Wilson to use? i ask because that beavertail fit doesn't look like wilson's best

beau1911
08-31-09, 14:40
Very nice! did your friend supply the beavertail to Wilson to use? i ask because that beavertail fit doesn't look like wilson's best

Thanks very much. Thats Wilson's drop-in colt beavertail.

loupav
08-31-09, 22:49
Thanks for the inspiration beau1911. My XSE is at Night Hawk right now! ;) I'll post pics when she comes back.