PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about living in San Antonio, Texas...

Left Sig
08-04-09, 17:39
To all the Texans out there, can you tell me about living in San Antonio?

I'm interviewing for a job down there, and I currently live in Indianapolis, IN. Just looking for info on what it's like, can a midwesterner stand the heat, stuff to do, places to live, etc.

I'm a laid off automotive management/engineering guy and there is actually a new engine plant being built there and they are starting to hire the salaried staff now. This is about the only thing relevant to my experience that is even thinking about hiring right now, so if I get it I'm most likely going to go.

JHC
08-04-09, 19:37
OMG San Antonio is AWESOME. When I left active duty (Army) I got a job with Pepsi at the bottling plant down there. Lived there from '84 until '89 when Pepsi transferred me to Dallas.

San Antonio is just awesome. Dallas, ehh, you could be in any big city. Ft Worth feels like TX. Abilene feels like TX. El Paso and Lubbock feels like TX. Hondo, definitely TX. San Antonio feels like TX. I really like the Tex-Mex culture thing. Loved working with folks of Mex descent (they themselves would say "We aren't 'hispanic', we're Meskins' [shrugging]

It's hot a lot of course. But gets some rains storms like you've never seen. And occassionally an ice storm that is just debilitating. The food, the culture etc is awesome. You may miss those gorgeous Indiana corn fields (I know those well too) but Texas is just flat out awesome and San Antonio is one it's jewels.

Austin is fun from the big college town anything goes point of view. I never spent much time up there.

The way things grow, I couldn't tell you where to live. But I'd sure try to live out in the sticks.

I'd strongly recommend you take it if you can get it.

Artos
08-04-09, 20:51
Get to TX....you will like sa like it just fine. Very fun area of the state.

If anyone asks, you are NOT in south tx....you need to drive 4 hours to get to the mouth of the rio grande river. ;)

M4Fundi
08-05-09, 03:49
San Antonio is GREAT!

thorm001
08-05-09, 08:34
I'm Texan by birth but just moved back to SA after 5 years in NC. My God, it's hot! Otherwise, I love it. Big city, rugged land, friendly people, nice Spanish culture, good gun laws and no income tax. My main concern is getting morbidly obese from eating Rudy's BBQ and Mexican food every day.
I've lived in Austin, Dallas, and Houston, but SA is my favorite.

Gutshot John
08-05-09, 08:36
I went to college in San Antonio, it was definitely a good time.

But like everything in Texas, it would be a lot better without all the damn Texans. :p

JHC
08-05-09, 08:38
Bill Miller's brisket plate!!!!!! Incomparable.

Wayne Dobbs
08-05-09, 09:09
SA is a treasure of so many things that you would spend years experiencing it all. But...Bill Miller's BBQ is like wanting a great hamburger and going to Mickey D's!

Just say this one Left Sig (with proper attribution to the original speaker, David Crockett of TN): "Gentlemen, you can all go to hell...I'm going to Texas!"

militarymoron
08-05-09, 09:38
my folks lived in SA for a few years (northwest side near the 10 and de zavala) before they moved to florida, and i always thought it was a real nice town whenever i visited. there was a good mix of culture, activities and food, and everyone i met was very friendly. there's city life if you want it, and rural areas/small towns if you want to get away. i had some great german sausage in new braunfels. yum.

rjacobs
08-05-09, 12:17
I live in Austin currently and have been to San Antonio plenty. It looks like a nice place to live. Texas is damn hot, especially right now, its been over 100 almost every day since late May except maybe 5 or 6, which is really starting to wear on me. Depending on where this new plant is you could look at New Braunfels area, very nice German area north of San Antonio by maybe 20-30 mins at most. There are a few other areas north of San Antonio around New Braunfels that are very nice as well.

-No income tax
-friendly gun laws as well as a gun friendly Governor
-good food, anything you want as long as its mexican or bbq
-we have both kinds of music in texas-country and western
-we only have two seasons-hot and cold, hot lasts longer than cold
-beautiful country side-hill country, desert, rivers, lakes

There is lots thats good about Texas. With that said, I am moving back to Missouri in September due to being transferred by my job. Oh well, if stuff improves I can hopefully move back one day.

adh
08-05-09, 12:46
I moved here (SATX) in 1991 for school...never left...I grew up in Phoenix so heat was not an issue for me. I live out I10 west in a suburb called Fair Oaks Ranch now. SA and the surrounding communities are a great place for a family to live. I've heard from some single friends that SA sucks. I guess our night life is not as varied as other places. You'll hear a lot of folks refer to it as a big city with a small town feel, and I have to agree with that. It's hard to explain that small town feel without experiencing it.

I'll never move back to Phoenix, and can't imagine ever leaving Texas now that I've been here as long as I have.

Only draw back....I have yet to see a Magpul Dynamics, Vickers Tactical, or VTAC class of any kind make it's way down here.

rjacobs
08-05-09, 13:43
Only draw back....I have yet to see a Magpul Dynamics, Vickers Tactical, or VTAC class of any kind make it's way down here.

Magpul was in Houston recently.

M4Fundi
08-05-09, 19:21
World Class Skeet/Trap range in town

Great Gun stores

Chris Madrid's "The Macho" is best Hamburger on this planet

Zitos has the "Serious Sandwich" best Greek Deli Sandwich in the world

BarBQ out the wazoo

German Restaurants everywhere

Great Music Scene

Open Air Dance Halls

Breweries

The original Fuddruckers

The original Taco Cabana

More great Mom & Pop Mexican joints

Outlander Systems
08-05-09, 19:33
Lived in San Antonio when I was 2-5, so I don't really remember much about it.

That being said, everyone in my family absolutely loved it. Loved it!

The family moved from New York, to North Carolina, to Georgia, to Texas, to Tennessee, to Michigan, to Ohio, and finally back to Georgia in 1997.

Every single member of my family rates San Antonio as the best place we've lived.

Do it!

M4Fundi
08-05-09, 19:58
Starch will become your friend if you like to look squared away or you will just drip:p

JHC
08-05-09, 20:29
EXACTLY Wayne!!! Fast food brisket! Glorious! :D