PDA

View Full Version : Blackthorne Kits

GADAWG
01-31-07, 11:53
This has been beat to death on AR15.com. Everyone knows that this is Vulcan/Hesse, but what do ya'll think of the barrels? I was thinking about getting one but I'm kinda new to this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.akpartskits.com

C4IGrant
01-31-07, 13:02
This has been beat to death on AR15.com. Everyone knows that this is Vulcan/Hesse, but what do ya'll think of the barrels? I was thinking about getting one but I'm kinda new to this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.akpartskits.com

Hard to say anything about their barrels, until you see what they are made out of and how well the shoot (and for how long).

C4

Sir Leo
03-11-07, 15:01
I will be ordering a kit from them soon as I get my approval from ATF. Their barrels are supplied by either Wilson or Mossberg. I guess you would have to research those two to know anything about quality of the barrels.

Quote from their website:
"Blackthorne purchases the barrels in our kits from Wilson and Mossberg."

tikkafan
03-11-07, 23:45
Blackthorne kits are crap. It isn't worth saving what $50 or $60 over the next best kit. There is a reason that Vulcan is on it's third or fourth company name. They burn them out with bad products and bad service.

J&T or Del-Ton is a much better choice for a cheap kit.

Hootbro
03-15-07, 21:55
I have bought two of their kits within the last month. Other than the carrier not being staked properly, the parts are of decent quality. The LPK was way better than any kit I had received from M1S in the past.

Hootbro

Heavy Metal
03-16-07, 13:13
If I am going to the headache to SBR a rifle, it ain't going to be with bottom feeder parts.

An SBR is not the rifle to go cheap on. Short AR barrels are problematic unless the are from soneone reputable like LMT or Sabre.

paradoc
03-16-07, 14:32
some of the ones that have built them seem to think they are ok for range plinkers, but for a social carbine I would stick with the established factory guns.

Or very select parts makers..............LMT, CMT, CMMG

Biggest problem I have read about is the suspect origin and quality of some components and the non existent staking on the carrier key.

Impact
03-16-07, 16:19
I had one of their barrels and sold it before shooting it. The barrel extension pin they use was a roll pin...

paid 60 bux more and got a BM instead..

-H-
03-17-07, 23:43
Blackthorne Products is very concerned with our customers’ satisfaction. We try very hard to ship the correct order in a timely manner. With this in mind, we offer a no questions asked return policy with a three day inspection period.

Goods can be returned within three days of receipt with no questions asked for a full refund of the purchase price (less shipping, labor, special order, and non-certified funds charges) by complying with the following instructions:

1. The goods must be returned in the same condition that they were received. Goods cannot be returned if they have been altered or “fit” in any way. Check your parts carefully when you receive them, if there is a problem DO NOT ALTER THE PARTS IN ANY WAY!!! If you do so you will NOT be able to return them.

Run away. If you want to save money that's fine, buying from these clowns is asking for problems.

Look at the main page, see those guys with cheap surplus helmets they found in a dumpster on their head with finger paint all over their faces? And that action shot of a guy moving around in a trailer wearing an old Swiss WWII gas mask with a 1911? Those are the same clowns selling knowingly out of spec parts. Run away, don't look back.

Frank Drebbin
03-24-07, 01:28
Run away. If you want to save money that's fine, buying from these clowns is asking for problems.

Look at the main page, see those guys with cheap surplus helmets they found in a dumpster on their head with finger paint all over their faces? And that action shot of a guy moving around in a trailer wearing an old Swiss WWII gas mask with a 1911? Those are the same clowns selling knowingly out of spec parts. Run away, don't look back.

It's even better than that. The 1911 that Swiss gas mask dude is holding happens to be one of those awesome spring action pellet / bb gun / dart guns.

It's sad when they can't even afford an airgun realistic looking enough to pass in a photo.

slipknot
04-24-07, 07:31
i just assembeled one of their m4 kits parts looked good but not impressed with the superior arms lower:( i have a dpms lower ordered to replace it with

ARinNC
04-24-07, 13:26
Blackthorne kits are crap. It isn't worth saving what $50 or $60 over the next best kit. There is a reason that Vulcan is on it's third or fourth company name. They burn them out with bad products and bad service.

J&T or Del-Ton is a much better choice for a cheap kit.

Gotta go with Tikkafan on this. Saving a few bucks may seem like a good idea to begin with, but if you want to keep the weapon for awhile, and want it to shoot worth a damn, spend the extra loot. Del-ton, CMMG, BravoCompany, hell even Colemantyler.com is a better source than these Vulcan doorstops.

ARinNC
04-24-07, 13:28
It's even better than that. The 1911 that Swiss gas mask dude is holding happens to be one of those awesome spring action pellet / bb gun / dart guns.

It's sad when they can't even afford an airgun realistic looking enough to pass in a photo.

HSLD!
http://akpartskits.com/store/images/welcome_02.jpg

http://akpartskits.com/store/images/welcome_03.jpg

ARinNC
04-24-07, 13:31
If you are building an SBR, go with really good parts. Noveske, P.O.F, Larue, VLTOR and the like. Not this Gay-R-15 junk that Vulcan is pawning. They really should be shut down.

slipknot
04-24-07, 18:15
everything looked and went together well so what problems should i expect?

ARinNC
04-24-07, 19:06
everything looked and went together well so what problems should i expect?

It could fit together like it grew there, but there are dozens of things that could go wrong. Non-staked key, barrel issues, etc, etc...

SHIVAN
04-24-07, 19:54
Only reason I could see "going cheap" is if you plan to run the hell out of it on auto. Beta dumps, mag dumps, etc....etc ....

Otherwise, just buy once/cry once.

ARinNC
04-24-07, 20:24
Why would you buy cheap if you were going to go auto?

Robb Jensen
04-24-07, 20:25
Why would you buy cheap if you were going to go auto?

Because the hillside, steel and paper don't shoot back. ;)

If you're going to burn it up at non threat targets why not shoot cheap?

ARinNC
04-24-07, 21:47
Sorry, I feel like, why waste the money on cheap, full auto or not. Spend the money. Plus, do you fell like having a catastrophic failure while shooting full auto? Actually, I am arguing a moot point. Bump.

SHIVAN
04-24-07, 23:55
Why buy a Noveske barrel to do beta dumps?? :(

I'd rather burn out a M1S commando upper than a factory Colt 6933 upper. Or a Noveske upper.

I have pretty expensive uppers.

I also have a CMMG upper that I hammer the shit out of....

There is a place for everything, but CMMG is about as cheap as I get to be honest.