PDA

View Full Version : Performance Rights Act - S. 379 ?

MarshallDodge
08-04-09, 17:41
I received this email from Pandora today but have not heard of this bill.

Hi, it’s Tim -

I hope this email finds you enjoying a great summer soundtrack on Pandora.

I have some news to share, and a favor to ask. Sorry, this email is a little lengthy but it requires some explaining.

You may have recently heard that we reached a resolution to a long-standing issue around royalty rates. It is indeed true, and it’s a great relief to now have long-term rate stability that will allow Pandora to stream music for many years to come. We are very thankful.

On the heels of this resolution, there is a new effort in Congress to fix the broader issue of how musical artists are compensated across all forms of radio. The system as it stands today is fundamentally unfair both to Internet radio services like Pandora, which pay higher royalties than other forms of radio, and to musical artists, who receive no compensation at all when their music is played on AM/FM radio.

A bill has been introduced in congress to remedy this by establishing a level playing field. We, along with the artists whose music we play, strongly support this new legislation called the Performance Rights Act (S. 379). Here's a link for more information on the bill: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.379:

I am pleased to report that your Senator, Orrin Hatch, is a co-sponsor of the Performance Rights Act (S.379). We would be very grateful if you could take just a minute to call and to thank for their support of the bill. It takes very little time, and we can tell you from our own experience that it DOES make a difference. The voice of constituents has a great impact.

Senator Orrin Hatch
(202) 224-5251

This issue is near and dear to me. Before founding Pandora, I spent ten years as a working musician. I’ve always believed performers should get fairly compensated for the value they provide to radio so I really appreciate your help.

Thank you very much for your support.

Tim Westergren

Orrin Hatch is not exactly my hero so I cringe at supporting anything that he supports. Can anyone fill me in here?

I should have him write in some National Right to Carry legislation and then see how far it goes. ;)

rickrock305
08-04-09, 18:38
Please do support this bill!

Here's a quick explanation of what it is...

As it stands now, when an artist has their record played on the radio, unless they wrote the song as well they don't get paid for their airplay. Only the writers get paid. This bill seeks to compensate artists for their performance when their song is played on the radio.