PDA

View Full Version : Different Rifle finishes

-Wes-
07-02-06, 03:01
Just like most of you(hopefully) when you finish a project you like to step back and quote Mr. T, "I love it when a plan comes together".

Well, I'm at the point where I need to settle on a paint system. First off, I'm not using store bought piss cans. Maybe for another project down the road.

My needs for this system are;
-Durability: the high wear areas ie pistol grip, cheek weld, hand guards.
-Curable on plastics.
-Not a requisite, although it'd be nice if it were safe to cure in the home oven.

I know Grant, and ADCO use KG, and Stick loves Norrell's. There's also Duracoat.

I browsed through KG's site, the info there still left me clueless whether or not it fits the bill for my needs.

So my questions are;
*What are your reccomendations?
*How much will I need to finish an entire rifle?
*Tips and Tricks would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bigbore
07-02-06, 07:14
-Durability: the high wear areas ie pistol grip, cheek weld, hand guards.

Anything and everything you apply to the above mentioned will wear off at about the same rate.

-Curable on plastics.
-Not a requisite, although it'd be nice if it were safe to cure in the home oven.

Most all plastic parts will warp a bit when baked.

Paint your non plastic parts with KG, after you completely bast and degrease. Just degrease the upper/lower.

Paint the plastic with store bought piss cans

Stickman
07-02-06, 12:14
Reduce the heat and extend the curing time, and very few plastics are bothered. Norrells holds up quite well on plastics.

-Wes-
07-02-06, 13:34
Ok, so about how much is needed to finish an entire rifle?

anachronism
07-02-06, 17:13
I've been very satisfied with Duracoat myself. You can bake it on metal, or allow it to fully air-cure. I let it air-cure on plastic, but have been baking it on metal. On a full blown camo job, I'll just let the whole thing air-cure as a unit.

By the way, Hannibal made that saying famous, not the monosyllbic "Mr. T"

-Wes-
07-02-06, 19:05
I pitty the foo!