PDA

View Full Version : M4 profile 14.5", fluted barrel. Who makes em?

Slacks Out
08-04-09, 22:09
I trying to find a 14.5" M4 profile heavy (Not true M4) 'Fluted' barrel. I do know of manufacturers that make them but I'm looking for more for comparisons. Please let me know what your opinions are of any manufacturers you post.

I really don't want to get into the whole "Opinions on fluted/plain barrels" because opinions vary and it's a personal preference.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

lanceriley
08-04-09, 23:36
what you mean is a Medium contour M4 barrel right? then fluted under the handguard? this is a nice idea.

Slacks Out
08-05-09, 07:15
what you mean is a Medium contour M4 barrel right? then fluted under the handguard? this is a nice idea.

Correct. Fluted all the way out just like the POF's.

Col_Crocs
08-05-09, 07:21
Did you try searching the site? I remember seeing a photo of one of these somewhere.

lanceriley
08-05-09, 07:28
i think wilson combat did that. though I don't know if there's fluting under the handguard but I remember seeing fluting after the FSB up to the Muzzle device.

SpaceGhost
08-05-09, 10:49
Bushmaster made some a while back

tylerw02
08-05-09, 12:17
I'm sure they are out there, but don't think they would offer a great advantage.

decodeddiesel
08-05-09, 16:46
I'm sure they are out there, but don't think they would offer a great advantage.

I agree. Fluting to me offers 3 advantages, weight reduction, increased surface area for better heat transfer properties, while maintaining barrel rigidity and resistance to warping.

OK, now keep in mind what the purpose of an M4 is. We're not talking about some crazy bench rest rifle capable of .2" groups at 100 yards. It's a general purpose battle rifle. That the barrel is very short and what minimal effect form barrel warping that could take place would be "lost in the noise" so to speak.

I think you will see more advantage in weight savings by going with a Gov't profiled M4 barrel or even better a Colt .625" "pencil" barrel. As far as heat dissipation I guess you could see some advantage with fluting, but honestly M4 barrels from quality manufacturers are designed to withstand sustained rates of fire which few if any civilians could realistically replicate.

I remember a member who was banned from this site named Rallysoob had a fluted M4 barrel. I don't know where he got it from.

tylerw02
08-05-09, 17:12
Before paying EXTRA to have a fluted barrel, consider the following:

-Fluting will reduce weight only a few ounces anyway.

-The increased surface area over a round barrel of same contour is pretty minimal.

-A round barrel of the same diameter is MORE rigid than a fluted barrel of the same outside diameter.

-Many gunsmiths and machinists believe that fluting must be done before drilling the bore and before the rifling process. Few (if any) companies follow this process.

-Many believe the process of fluting can create stress.

Very rarely will you even see a bench rest shooter shooting a fluted barrel these days, though there are a few out there. I think it has officially been chalked up to marketing hype by companies that can spend $10 fluting a barrel and charging $100 extra for it.

rob_s
08-05-09, 17:21
I trying to find a 14.5" M4 profile heavy (Not true M4) 'Fluted' barrel. I do know of manufacturers that make them but I'm looking for more for comparisons. Please let me know what your opinions are of any manufacturers you post.

I really don't want to get into the whole "Opinions on fluted/plain barrels" because opinions vary and it's a personal preference.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

I know you don't want to debate this, but what is it that you believe hte fluting on a barrel like this offers?

decodeddiesel
08-05-09, 17:21
Very rarely will you even see a bench rest shooter shooting a fluted barrel these days, though there are a few out there. I think it has officially been chalked up to marketing hype by companies that can spend $10 fluting a barrel and charging $100 extra for it.

I'd buy that. I never really cared for it myself on any weapon.

Mr.Goodtimes
08-05-09, 23:15
id do it just for the cool guy points but, aside from looks fluting doesent really do anything for me.

Id like a SR15 with their dimpled barrel thats some cool stuff there.

I think a spiral fluted barrel would also be pretty cool looking.

I know anvil arms makes both fluted and spiral fluted barrels but, from what i understand, they are to be avoided.

Slacks Out
08-06-09, 17:44
I didn't think the whole "I really don't want to get into the whole "Opinions on fluted/plain barrels" because opinions vary and it's a personal preference." part of my opening post would have any effect. The rifle is for my 8 year old son. I'm going for weight, temp. disbursement and rigidity and fluting is the best way to get all three (In my opinion). The reason it's difficult to find this specific configuration is the demand is so low, not because the fluting has no effect. I have a 16" Bushmaster fluted M4 barrel on one of my rifles and it is, by far, more accurate than any other M4 I've ever fired and it is just as accurate as my Krieger barrled 22" bench rest rifle out to 200 yards. It does stay cooler and is lighter. Bushmaster no longer makes them and only made them in 16" lengths. P.O.F. makes them but does not sell individual barrels (at least not on their site) any more.

I did try a search prior to posting (I've been reading this forum for a long time and just joined to post this question) and nothing recent came up.

Thanks again for any positive input/help regarding the original question.

decodeddiesel
08-06-09, 17:57
A lightweight Colt upper you be highly recommended in your situation.

crazymoose
08-06-09, 20:04
A lightweight Colt upper you be highly recommended in your situation.

+1

For an eight-year-old, a pencil barrel, maybe on a Cav Arms lower, is the way I'd go.

If you are dead set on fluting, your options are limited enough that I think you should buy a quality barrel and then have it fluted by someone like ADCO.