PDA

View Full Version : How many of you refuse to work at a job because of anti-CCW Policy?

Jer
08-05-09, 01:38
Reading another thread about concealing firearms and what someone posted about everywhere but their work reminded me of a topic I was curious about. How many people refuse to work at a place that has a clear anti-gun policy? In other words, you have your permit and plan to carry for the occasional crazy that comes into your work to shoot the place up yet your employee manual states that it's forbidden. Do you take the job or do you keep looking? Personally I won't leave my life in the hands of anyone, secure area or not unless they want to put multiple trained and armed guards in the room. I just don't think it's worth it especially with all that's going on in this day and age.

I'm curious what you're take is on it. Do you put your beliefs on the back burner for a paying job and just how much of a salary would it take for you to give you your right to protect yourself?

Discuss.

dookie1481
08-05-09, 01:46
Reading another thread about concealing firearms and what someone posted about everywhere but their work reminded me of a topic I was curious about. How many people refuse to work at a place that has a clear anti-gun policy? In other words, you have your permit and plan to carry for the occasional crazy that comes into your work to shoot the place up yet your employee manual states that it's forbidden. Do you take the job or do you keep looking? Personally I won't leave my life in the hands of anyone, secure area or not unless they want to put multiple trained and armed guards in the room. I just don't think it's worth it especially with all that's going on in this day and age.

I'm curious what you're take is on it. Do you put your beliefs on the back burner for a paying job and just how much of a salary would it take for you to give you your right to protect yourself?

Discuss.

How many places DON'T have a "no weapons" policy these days?

Methinks you would be drastically limiting your employment options if you were to discount every place that didn't allow CCW.

If you are that talented/experienced that you can still find gainful employment in this economy with that caveat, then power to you.

I apparently am not.

Jay

Jer
08-05-09, 02:00
How many places DON'T have a "no weapons" policy these days?

Methinks you would be drastically limiting your employment options if you were to discount every place that didn't allow CCW.

If you are that talented/experienced that you can still find gainful employment in this economy with that caveat, then power to you.

I apparently am not.

Jay

Did I leave out that I'm currently w/o work? :D

My last job had that as a policy anyway, larger corporation with secure key-card offices but I still knew how unstable some of the people were who had key cards for the office so as far I was concerned 'No weapons' meant the same as 'Don't ask don't tell' but w/o the gayness.

Just curious what other people's takes were on this.

wake.joe
08-05-09, 02:08
Deleted

Army Chief
08-05-09, 02:45
Career military, and as such, I don't really get a vote. The irony is pretty thick, no? :)

AC

BrianB
08-05-09, 07:33
Quit my highest-paying job due to anti-CC. Well, quit one and more or less fired from one other. I just felt that no one should limit my ability to protect myself.

One place started posting no-weapons signs, and specifically pointed out "Licensed individuals", so I told my boss if my gun goes, I go. After that, I went on a rebellious streak, if you will. Told all my interviews that I was a CC license holder, and intended to do so at all times. Unemployed for eight months after that.

:confused::mad::rolleyes:

you sir are a utter moron! and offend the **** out of me. I've been unemployed for nearly 8 months now ( they closed my factory ) bending over backwards looking for a job with no luck.

and to have your paranoid ass quit a good job because you can't carry 24/7......ya know, words fail me right now cause I'm so pissed as I type this over the stupidy of doing something like this.

PLEASE POST THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF THIS COMPANY SO I CAN APPLY THERE!!!

despite the most resent news of the latest shooting, you still have a much greater chance of being killed in a car crash on your way to work, then being shot at work.

sorry if my rant offends anyone, but thats how I feal.

mmike87
08-05-09, 07:34
In my town I'd be unemployed if I did that.

larry0071
08-05-09, 08:01
I know a guy that recently took a job making $77K a year who is very into 2A and shooting. He carried regularly. But, the new job required not only that he had no firearm on him, but also in his car or truck. He parks in a private parking lot owned by the company and has security checkpoints, metel detectors, explosives detectors and more that he passes through each day. He is not thrilled about not being able to leave his pistol in the car/truck, but for the sake of family and income he signed the contracts and agreed to the rules.

A man has to provide for his family, if that means taking the personal risk of being unarmed.... he should do what it takes to provide and be a good father/husband. It would be selfish to take away from your family only to provide for your personal protection... you have to look at the big picture. A single man would be more apt to make a stand on this situation, as he does not answere to his family.

For me, offer me a good paying job that will provide more for my family... and I will gladly risk my safety to do more for my wife and children.

Anyone wish to offer me a great job, I promise I will leave my gun at home if that is what you desire!

Larry

30 cal slut
08-05-09, 08:14
a few years ago a company i was working for was about to get acquired by another firm.

i was friends with the folks running the acquiring company. they were staunch conservatives with republican credentials.

they gave us new pre-employment agreements to read and sign.

in the agreement was a very explicit no-ccw on work property.

it was the first such policy i have ever seen spelled out in a pre-employment agreement... in my life.

i was so f*cking angry, i just tore up the papers and literally walked out the door. (i had another job lined up anyways).

CryingWolf
08-05-09, 08:15
Nice post Larry!

My job would probably fire me in a heart beat if I showed up with a gun at work. No point in doing that. I just hope work picks up so I don't have to worry about being one of the unemployed.

Larry is of course right you have to think of your family first!!!

Gutshot John
08-05-09, 08:23
I was raised to believe that if one quits his job for whatever reason without having another one...one was an asshole.

JSantoro
08-05-09, 08:46
Yeah, especially if you have mouths to feed. You're responsible enough to carry a gun, but you can't suck up a bad policy for a while IOT find a new gig and ensure that your family's needs are met, all because you're feeling butt-hurt right now? You do that, you're not a mensch. If you're single/unattached, with no kids, whole other ball game; you only have yourself to potentially starve.

As for myself, suffice to say that I've lost track of the number of corporate policies that I ignore for the sake of realistic safety, common sense, expediency or the fact that I know that the folks who I work for are merely the current letterhead on my paycheck. This program changes hands, I'm relatively certain that I'll be working for some other bunch of empty suits with equally stupid policies that I'll blithely ignore with equal enthusiasm..

wake.joe
08-05-09, 08:49
Deleted

Left Sig
08-05-09, 08:55
I've never worked anywhere that allowed concealed carry. But then I've pretty much worked only for medium to large corporations in manufacturing plants. Having a gun on company property would be grounds for instant termination. But knives are usually OK within reason because they are a useful tool in a manufacturing environment. Most of the parking lots were restricted too, since they were on company property, but I know a lot of people who bent that rule and I can't remember anyone that was caught or punished.

Interestingly, two of the major corporations I've worked for had employee shootings in at least one of their plants - not where I was or when I was there, but it still happened. After such incidents, interlocked turnstiles with card readers were installed to prevent non-employees and ex-employees from entering without authorization. But a current employee could go nuts and there's not much you can do to prevent it. The guards aren't paid enough to take a bullet either. Their job is to call 9/11 and make sure they don't get shot.

So the answer is NO, I would never refuse work because of an anti-CCW policy. I'm not likely to ever work somewhere where it's even allowed at all.

Army Chief
08-05-09, 08:57
"So let us begin anew — remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness ..." ---JFK

AC

40Arpent
08-05-09, 09:19
:confused::mad::rolleyes:
you sir are a utter moron! and offend the **** out of me. ...words fail me right now cause I'm so pissed ...

I am brand new here and have yet to properly introduce myself to the forum, so excuse me while I chime in, because I just couldn't help myself.

Brian, offended? What do Wake.Joe's actions have to do with your situation? Had he kept his job, would YOU be any better off? I am at a total loss for understanding why you'd have anger directly towards him in this situation. And to stoop to name-calling?

Good luck with anyone on here trying to help you find a job after exhibiting that kind of erratic, psychotic behavior.

Left Sig
08-05-09, 09:26
I am brand new here and have yet to properly introduce myself to the forum, so excuse me while I chime in, because I just couldn't help myself.

Brian, offended? What do Wake.Joe's actions have to do with your situation? Had he kept his job, would YOU be any better off? I am at a total loss for understanding why you'd have anger directly towards him in this situation. And to stoop to name-calling?

Good luck with anyone on here trying to help you find a job after exhibiting that kind of erratic, psychotic behavior.

Let's all cool down. I've been out of work for 3 months. Luckily, I have 4 months of severance and was allowed to prepay a years worth of medical benefits at the regular employee premium. Otherwise, things would be really tight - and they will be if I don't find a job soon.

After eight months with no luck, I'm sure Brian is very frustrated and stressed about the future. In this society, a man's ability to earn and provide is the primary measure of his value. More women leave their men for not being able to provide than any other reason. I'm sure the idea that someone would give up a job for what in his mind is a trivial reason is incomprehensible given his current state of mind.

That doesn't excuse what he said, but let's all give him a little latitude given his situation. There's a lot of Brian's out there now, and it's still getting worse.

SHIVAN
08-05-09, 09:34
I've handed out two infractions, and it's pretty obvious why they were handed out. There are a lot of internet forums and some allow this sort of discourse.

We do not, and will not tolerate direct personal attacks or responses to personal attacks with an escalated attack.

Thanks.

Zhurdan
08-05-09, 09:38
Maybe you offend the **** out of me for not being able to stand by your principles like I can. Maybe I feel strongly about a man/woman's right to defend themselves, and are prepared in every way to stand by that. Maybe you're a pussy if you can't.

Standing by your principles is fine. I just hope you weren't drawing on unemployment, as that would probably offend someones principles as well. I can't carry at work, but I'll be damned if I'm going to take what amounts to a "hand out" unemployment check if I'm able bodied and HAD a job. There are people that are in dire straights, unemployed not by choice, but because of a bad economy, and you're letting go of a good paying job because you can't have your cake and eat it too? Stand up for your rights, speak your mind, but if you're going to do it, please make sure you aren't doing it on the tax payers unemployment dollar.

Zhur

40Arpent
08-05-09, 09:43
Back to the original question, then...I work for a major oil company that, as most do, forbids CCW. When it comes to providing for my family, I cannot afford to stand by 100% of my principles 100% of the time.

wake.joe
08-05-09, 09:45
Deleted

SHIVAN
08-05-09, 09:46
The buildings I work in are considered civilian DoD buildings, and as such, require no firearms or weapons. It is not enforced rigidly, but there are stiff consequences if you are found carrying weapons, etc.

Reality usually forces compromises.

Safetyhit
08-05-09, 09:50
Quit my highest-paying job due to anti-CC. Well, quit one and more or less fired from one other, due to my gun, that I won't get into. Neither place was dangerous or anything. I just felt that no one should limit my ability to protect myself.

Your heart may be in the right place, but that's about it. Here in NJ this would not even be a discussion, let alone an anticipated way of life.

If what you are doing now works out, great. If not, drop the silly mandate. Leave those things to your local politicians whom you voted for because of their 2A support. It will only cost you and possibly your son more in the future.

lalakai
08-05-09, 09:58
It's in the rules, but not strictly enforced. But it's one of those things that when they want to get rid of you, then it's strictly enforced. Fortunately the policy doesn't extend to the parking lot, so.

When it comes to protecting your rights, or feeding your family, it's always a grey area, but for this situation, the family is tops.

and btw, good to get the thread back on track and more courteous. thanks Shivan.

wake.joe
08-05-09, 09:58
Deleted

Zhurdan
08-05-09, 10:00
Not a single cent of unemployment. Wasn't raised like that.

I was making enough money, and consequently not spending any of it, to not have an issue.

The wife also works, was/is in complete support (Encouraging even.) of my employment decisions.

And guess what? Now I'm making a lot of money, to work with firearms every day.
Man! What was I thinking?

Good for you. There aren't a lot of people that are so lucky to pick and choose their jobs to that extent . Please note, I wasn't being accusatory, just pointing out that there are a whole lot of things I'd like to take a stand on, but food in the fridge takes priority. I agree that people should be able to protect themselves, but that is not currently the reality many of us live in. I'd carry all the time (already do 99% of the time I'm not at work), but it really wouldn't do any good if we couldn't afford a home or our cars or the other things.

I'm at least glad to hear that you didn't take unemployment if your unemployment was by choice. That would have kinda honked me off a little.

HES
08-05-09, 10:54
Ive never been independently wealthy enough to be able to pick and chose my jobs like this. I have a wife and three kids to feed so I go where the money is. Things are so bad right now that if a prospective employer said I had to wear hot pants and a pink polo and they were paying enough I'd jump at it in a NY minute. I will say that thankfully I can, with few exceptions*, leave my pistol in my vehicle at what ever place I work at and the employer cannot do anything about it. Of course this also brings up the property owners right Vs. the individuals right argument.

*Those places that I cannot carry are fields where I have no skill in anyways. So its a moot point.

SpankMonkey
08-05-09, 14:02
What they do not know will not hurt them. I have risked my life enough for others. It's time to look out for me and mine.

You can always find another job. But you cannot replace your life or your loved ones.

Remember its just a job. Choose wisely.

SHIVAN
08-05-09, 14:18
You can not carry on a commercial aircraft unless you are a fed of some type, so do you also not fly?

Do you refuse to check out your groceries because the NCR register they are using has a company that sends millions and millions to the DNC, and all the anti-gun PAC's and the Brady Group?

Do you wear Levi's?

Do you listen to any radio station that is owned by Clear Channel, or an affiliate?

Almost all of our armed forces can carry their M16 or M4 while on duty, on a military base or installation, but can not carry a personal sidearm while off duty on the same base. Should they all resign?

Reality sometimes requires compromises.

wake.joe
08-05-09, 14:21
Deleted

ST911
08-05-09, 16:04
Few employers will sanction CCW in the workplace. Those that do are probably afoul of one or more of their RM provisions and umbrellas.

You're much more likely to find businesses that are apathetic than permissive.

Many work environments will be easy to carry within, with or without permission, if one is careful in their concealment. I know many folks who carry in violation of workplace rules daily, with much at stake, without issue. They include medical professionals, military members and DOD employees, and school employees. Those are pretty non-permissive environments.

Concealed means concealed. Very few "get it", and truly do it.

Saginaw79
08-05-09, 17:00
Maybe you offend the **** out of me for not being able to stand by your principles like I can. Maybe I feel strongly about a man/woman's right to defend themselves, and are prepared in every way to stand by that. Maybe you're a pussy if you can't.

Besides that, the time with my son was nice. Wasn't able to buy myself new toys and couldn't shoot as often, but we got by. Those months with my family were more important, so it really wasn't that bad.

I also said, I wasn't in any particular danger. It's just what I felt I should do. It wasn't be being paranoid, you ****ing ass. Read the post. I was really under the impression that there weren't any stupid people on this website; looks like I was wrong.

Holy crap. Grow the **** up.

This! Thankyou sir, you are a man like myself, principles first! :D

dookie1481
08-05-09, 17:56
This! Thankyou sir, you are a man like myself, principles first! :D

I don't know about you, but principles won't pay my rent.

Jay

Avenger29
08-05-09, 18:07
I don't know about you, but principles won't pay my rent.

Jay

Amen. In this economy, for someone like me, a job is something that you can't quit for the hell of it or principles, especially those involving CCW. I'm without it anyway due to college.

Bills gotta be paid...

chadbag
08-05-09, 18:13
Don't ask don't tell worked for me before I became self employed.

Best job though in regards that was a small Y2K software company formed by some guys at a gun club. We took an un-official company photo with everyone and their handguns and a few NFA items...

jc75754
08-05-09, 18:59
I am a high school history teacher and here in NC we have a 0 weapon tolerance policy for students and teachers. As far as I know I cant even keep a firearm in the parking lot b/c it is considered school property. No I wont quit but this is something I would like to see change. Apparently this weapons policy doesn't work all the time. Imagine that, a school system passing an ineffective policy.

Turnkey11
08-06-09, 00:00
Never had that problem, my current job encourages me to carry off duty, and gives me the ability to carry concealed in places such as San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, NYC, and Washington DC.:D

zxd9
08-06-09, 12:07
I carry at my office (GA) all the time and although I haven't explicitly told my boss, who's in WI, about it I'm pretty sure he knows. I've traveled w/ him and carried and he didn't mind. If I was asked to transfer to WI I don't know that I would. I have family in IN and may land there but not IL or WI.