PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating trigger backlash (creep)

August
08-06-09, 12:07
I just finished a Stag carbine and spent some time prepping the trigger. The trigger is polished, JP springs installed, proper lubrication is applied.

The result is that the trigger has a really nice break, once all the slop in the system gets taken up. There is an initial "creep" then a secondary "creep" then a solid point in the take-up, which I presume is the positive angle of the sear surfaces. This is followed by a very satisfying, clean break.

My question is, how do I get all this backlash out of the system. I suspect what I'm feeling is the dimensional variation of the trigger and hammer pins inside the bearing surface of the trigger and hammer channels.

Is there a way to deal with "slop" in the the FCG components so as to eliminate creep??? Am I even on the right track here???

evileyeswatchin
08-06-09, 20:31
there is a pistol grip bolt that has another bolt machined inside so you can adjust the creep. lemme see if I can find it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=307/Product/AR_15_M16_DROP_IN_TRIGGER_ADJUSTER

Velvetant
08-07-09, 11:05
1/4-28 set screw 1/4" long. install through the grip screw hole and adjust sear engagement.
Some lowers are not threaded all the way and you will need to chase the threads to do this.
Secure with blue loctite, be sure to degrease parts completely before using.
You will have to fit your selector by removing material from the rear of the trigger for clearance after this or go with a JP adjustable selector. I've done both.
I've done your mods plus this on three of my varmint ARs and they are a sweet running trigger. I've had zero misfires and has proven 100% reliable over the last 5 years using CCI primers.
I've seen a write up some where on the web, I'll try to find it and post a link.
Has pictures and goes into more detail then I've described

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT DO THIS ON A DUTY WEAPON OR A FIGHTING WEAPON
I've done this mod on my play weapons only.