PDA

View Full Version : 1911 TS question

UNIT 6639
02-01-07, 06:48
I just bought a Kimber stainless steel ambi safety for my GI. I got it on fine but it seems to be much looser than the standard thumb safety.

The GI safety was firm with a noticable solid "Click" when applying it. The Kimber is quite easily manipulated.

In example: My 4 year old daughter cannot click the safety on or off with the standard GI safety.

She can click the Kimber TS on and off with ease.

*Safety disclaimer* I teach/taught both my 12 year old daughter and 4 year old how to handle ALL of the fire arms I own. They both know what they can do!!

With that out of the way I will continue.

Did I install it wrong or is this normal. If this is not normal, what if any is a good fix, I know most will say "Take it to a competent smith" but I dont know of a smith in my area, and I prefer to "Drop in" any parts I can do on my own.

Please respond guys :D

trio
02-01-07, 08:38
honestly, you probably have answered your own question...it is likely fine, and will function and prevent the gun from firing, but as a "drop in" part it is designed to fit as close to everything as it can, so it isnt as tight as your original part that was originally built and fitted with the gun...

you said GI...is it a springfield GI? or literally an old military gun? if its the former you may want to call springfield and see if you cant get a thumb safety for a loaded model...the theory being the springfield will fit a springfield better...

also, may want to try a wilson, brown, or mccormick part...ive found them to be tighter, even to the point of needing a little fitting, but honestly, thats not something you cant do yourself with a little care, time, and a dremel.

Sam
02-01-07, 09:08
The thumb safety has a little dimple where the safety plunger snaps into. Maybe there are differences in the dimpled area of your original safety vs. the new replacement part. This could cause the different engagement feel or click.

Novak's shop is in Parkersburg, WV, they're good with 1911s.

VA_Dinger
02-01-07, 09:19
The thumb safety has a little dimple where the safety plunger snaps into. Maybe there are differences in the dimpled area of your original safety vs. the new replacement part. This could cause the different engagement feel or click.

Novak's shop is in Parkersburg, WV, they're good with 1911s.

Great suggestion, thanks Sam.

UNIT 6639
02-02-07, 06:25
Thanks guys for replying. The GI is in fact a Springfield. I am thinking the TS is fine and just feels different as was suggested.

I picked it up while I was browsing at my local shop, really didnt plan on getting it, thats why I didnt just order one from Springfield.

It functions as it should. The hammer does not drop when the TS is engaged so I think its fine.

Thanks again guys :D

Robb Jensen
02-02-07, 06:42
Thanks guys for replying. The GI is in fact a Springfield. I am thinking the TS is fine and just feels different as was suggested.

I picked it up while I was browsing at my local shop, really didnt plan on getting it, thats why I didnt just order one from Springfield.

It functions as it should. The hammer does not drop when the TS is engaged so I think its fine.

Thanks again guys :D

If you want the more positive snap with the safety going off and on, I can dimple the left side of the safety so that the plunger engages it a little more when up or down (left side of the safety).

UNIT 6639
02-03-07, 09:46
If you want the more positive snap with the safety going off and on, I can dimple the left side of the safety so that the plunger engages it a little more when up or down (left side of the safety).

Do you have time for that in the shop Rob, you guys seem to be busy most times I am in there :D

and why dont you guys stock some parked 1911 parts :mad: :D , I was forced into getting a stainless ambi cause thats all you had in.

You did have a magwell/MSH combo, I plan to pick up next time I am in! I think its blued. Close enough!

Rob, is "Dimpling" the ambi hard to do, would you suggest I definately bring it in and let you do it?

I have mad all the cosmetic mods to my GI myself, If I can continue, with good instruction, I am willing to try.

Dont know what tools are involved and if I have them though!

UNIT 6639
02-03-07, 09:48
Rob, if I bring my GI in, do you promise not to laugh at my white Punisher grips :(