PDA

View Full Version : Vickers 2 point qd question

Rickenbacker53
08-06-09, 16:07
Padded or unpadded. Which is the nicest to use? Thanks

MisterWilson
08-06-09, 16:29
I have the non-padded and there are times I wish it was. I've also heard second-hand that padded is the way to go.

Jay870
08-06-09, 17:13
I have a padded and it is about as comfortable as can be expected. Never run an un-padded so i don't have a basis for comparison.

BT2012
08-06-09, 17:26
I currently used the non-padded version. It's not issue unless you wear nothing but t-shirt or light shirt where you will feel the sling rubbing against you. I would recommend you try both if you can get an opportunity to do so and decide which you like best. You need to think about what will you use this sling for - mostly carry, tactical operations, training, etc.

Rickenbacker53
08-07-09, 09:19
I currently used the non-padded version. It's not issue unless you wear nothing but t-shirt or light shirt where you will feel the sling rubbing against you. I would recommend you try both if you can get an opportunity to do so and decide which you like best. You need to think about what will you use this sling for - mostly carry, tactical operations, training, etc. The Majority of my shooting will be tactical with some carry. I've been running about 2 miles through the woods, while shouldering a Rifle and Holstering a sidearm. Just something I am doing for my own physical training. I am currently using just an in-expensive Uncle Mikes carry sling. The Majority of the time I end up with the rifle in my hands and the sling just hanging to the ground.

Were I just shooting prone or from a stagnate position on a range I probably would just use the uncle mikes.

What I am trying to primarily accomplish is some extra support when shooting and running. I have a large wood area I have built a basic obstetrical course on. And like I said. To get in good shape.

The Uncle mikes sling is just your basic 30 year old webbed carry sling. Digs right in to your neck and collar bone when running.

This time of year I am wearing just a tee sheet of sorts. I plan to continue this training through at least the fall. At least until there are to many leaves on the ground to find your spent casings.

I have been looking at the 2 slings G&R carries the Vickers with the QD swivels ones padded.

BT2012
08-08-09, 10:13
VCAS (non-padded) is the only sling I've owned and used and I don't have any negative thing to say about it. This sling offers quick adjustment and is made of Cordura nylon of which I think highly of. I see your point about doing a lot of running where there is much movement with your gear. The padded version will certainly help reduce the problem with friction in the neck and collar bone area or any other part of your upper body since you mostly wear a t-shirt. Again, if possible, try out various slings to see what suits you best because it is "like buying clothes".

Thomas M-4
08-08-09, 10:16
VCAS unpadded with push buttons works good for me.

Robb Jensen
08-08-09, 10:34
The nicest one is the padded version from G&R Tactical with the QD points already perm. attached.

Rickenbacker53
08-09-09, 09:01
VCAS (non-padded) is the only sling I've owned and used and I don't have any negative thing to say about it. This sling offers quick adjustment and is made of Cordovan nylon of which I think highly of. I see your point about doing a lot of running where there is much movement with your gear. The padded version will certainly help reduce the problem with friction in the neck and collar bone area or any other part of your upper body since you mostly wear a t-shirt. Again, if possible, try out various slings to see what suits you best because it is "like buying clothes". Padded Un-padded sounds like personal preference. I don't have much extra body fat. At 5'11 170 I am fairly fit. Not skinny but by no means a Husky person either.

I was thinking originally of the un-padded just because of less bulk. I live in a state where snow is abundant from Mid November through end of March. However I doubt very much I will be able to even run in the woods during most of those months.

It's impossible to try a bunch of slings. At best the local shops are great for us reloaders, but don't carry slings holsters belts etc. So you stuck with ordered items, you may or may not have to return.

I would assume if ordering from G&R it could be returned. Or would I be better off with straight from Blue Force?

TehLlama
08-09-09, 15:19
I haven't found a situation where the padding is a negative in any way.

For the cash, I decided to go all out and get the Padded QD version from NVB Gear. I loved that sling so much I went and got another of the AA version for my work rifle.

Only go with the QD if you know all the mounting applications will work with that (otherwise the cheaper padded-only version is probably a better choice, and just QD attach one end if needed)

Unless some hybrid of the VCAS and M2S emerges, those will be the only sling solutions for my and the XO

Rickenbacker53
08-09-09, 18:47
I haven't found a situation where the padding is a negative in any way.

For the cash, I decided to go all out and get the Padded QD version from NVB Gear. I loved that sling so much I went and got another of the AA version for my work rifle.

Only go with the QD if you know all the mounting applications will work with that (otherwise the cheaper padded-only version is probably a better choice, and just QD attach one end if needed)

Unless some hybrid of the VCAS and M2S emerges, those will be the only sling solutions for my and the XO Thanks for the input and advice. I have 3 spots I can use QD. Appreciate your comment,