PDA

View Full Version : Birth of my SPR

Sam
08-06-09, 18:57
I told myself no more AR......

Well it didn't last long.

I have an extra lower that I assembled from a stripped Charles Daly frame with DPMS LPK and a throw away stock assembly from a buddy's Rock River. It's been sitting in the safe naked.

After reading and looking at all those beautiful pictures of Jerry R's SPR as well as other folks rifles, I decided to assemble an SPR upper for the CD lower.

The upper receiver, charging and BCG are by CMT bought from Rainier and PKFirearms, can't remember which from whom.

I've been going back and forth between Larue 12" or Daniel Defense's M4 in the same length offering. I couldn't make up my mind until last week when the news about layoffs and furloughs at Daniel Defense made the decision for me. I decided to keep the money in state.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0001.JPG

I replaced the A2 pistol grip with Magpul's MIAD.

I'm waiting for a White Oak Armament 18" SPR barrel, they told me 20 weeks wait, that was about 5 week ago, 15 more weeks.

I will be using a Vortex flash hider.

More on the scope and mount later.

Saginaw79
08-06-09, 19:39
Ive had a SPR type on my 'to do' list so long Im not sure Ill ever get it going

chadbag
08-07-09, 02:16
Looks good!

I am going to do a couple.

I have an 18" 6.8 barrel from Cardinal, and an 18" 556 from Rainier (their own label) and an 18" 556 Noveske. One of these days I will get started on it...

Sam
08-07-09, 12:01
I have ........an 18" 556 from Rainier (their own label) ..........One of these days I will get started on it...

Now you don't need all those barrels do you? hint hint ;)

MarshallDodge
08-07-09, 12:08
Rainier has some WOA barrels in stock.

Sam
08-07-09, 12:38
Rainier has some WOA barrels in stock.

They don't have one in the flavor I'm looking for. :( Believe me, I check their site almost every day for new updates.

Thanks.

Paulinski
08-07-09, 13:14
Believe me, I check their site almost every day for new updates.

Thanks.

You're not the only one. ;)

chadbag
08-07-09, 15:16
Now you don't need all those barrels do you? hint hint ;)

That one is waiting for an MUR-1S receiver to come in...

Sam
08-08-09, 17:10
I'm going to try this Fred Sanford scope and mount combo on it, don't laugh too hard. It's not a fancy schancy S&B or Leupold or Nightforce, etc. If it blows up after a magazine or two, I'll get some stimulus money and get something a little better.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Barska.JPG

It's a Barska 3.5x10 illuminated, 30mm tube with SWFA mount. The mount is suspiciously similar to one made by Burris.

mvician
08-08-09, 19:59
Here's mine

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/MillettTRS1001.jpg

Lower receiver: Double Star
Lower parts kit: Stag
Trigger: KAC 2 stage match
Magpul MIAD, KNS pins, Magpul enhanced triggerguard, Vltor EMod

Upper receiver: CMT
DPMS chrome bolt carrier
CMT MP bolt
PRI GasBuster CH
Knights Armament 600m buis
Knights folding M4 front sight
LaRue SPR-E QD scope mount
Millett TRS-1 scope
LaRue 12" FF Rail
Krieger 18" SPR barrel
Ops Inc Brake and Collar
Harris BiPod with KAC mount
KAC Taupe rail covers, FDE ladders
GearSector sling

Sam
08-08-09, 21:04
Here's mine

Krieger 18" SPR barrel

Where did you get that barrel?

Very nice rifle.

mvician
08-08-09, 22:08
Where did you get that barrel?

Very nice rifle.

Bought the upper on the EE last year. It was built by JTac.

Sam
08-09-09, 16:22
Thanks. I checked JTAC's website and they (like everybody else) are out of the 18" SPR tubes. :(

redyak3
08-10-09, 02:07
Sam, saw this on the EE:
http://ee.ar15.com/ItemView.aspx?iid=18146

Sam
08-10-09, 05:50
I saw that one too, FORTUNATELY it's sold already. I said fortunately because it would have been very tempting for the instant satisfaction to get it. $500+ is a little high for my budget, I know it's a Noveske. Most other quality barrels are less than $400. No I'm not comparing brands, just that my wallet isn't thick enough and I haven't received bail-out money from the "hope and change" clown.

nickh46
08-10-09, 10:29
Have you consider Monty's barrels from Centurion Arms?

Sam
08-10-09, 11:37
No I haven't considered it, figuring that he's a custom gun builder that he probably doesn't stock extra barrel for sale.

jchtrh
08-10-09, 12:49
Very nice Sam, I am working on a SPR also, but I am doing it in a 6.8. Whenever I get close...like you are to finishing a build, I get so impatient.

Hope you get a barrel soon.

nickh46
08-10-09, 13:43
No I haven't considered it, figuring that he's a custom gun builder that he probably doesn't stock extra barrel for sale.

Drop an email to Monty. From his website he has seperate barrels for sale. Here's the link if you wanted a seperate barrel. click here (http://www.centurionarms.com/products/p004_mk12_barrel.html)

Sam
08-12-09, 14:18
Thanks for the tip, I emailed Monty at Centurion, awaiting his response.

Sone
08-12-09, 20:35
that would be a good score RT if you can get that barrel

Sam
08-12-09, 21:38
that would be a good score RT if you can get that barrel

It's a long shot, I'm not betting on it, it would be like winning a small lottery. :)

Sam
08-17-09, 10:43
Got an email back from Monty at Centurion, he's expecting barrels coming in, I've asked him to put me down for one. I'm looking forward to it.

Just picked up a Vortex flash hider. I have everything except the barrel. :(

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/84665-Vortex.jpg

Sam
08-27-09, 09:42
Just by chance last Sunday night I checked the JTAC Supply website and they have ONE 18" Douglas SPR stainless barrel in stock. I bought it and it's being shipped via Priority mail.

Sent an email to Monty thanking him for checking on a barrel for me, and asked him to take me off the waiting list.

Got a rifle gas tube and low profile gas block coming from PKfirearms as well.

Edit: Barrel alert - www.rainierarms.com has at least one White Oak Armament 18" SPR Midlength barrel in stock.

igoswoop
08-27-09, 14:10
I am a very new shooter so let me apologize in advance if this gets asked a lot.

I've got the SPR bug pretty bad as well. Barrel availability is kinda my problem too.

I picked up an Armalite 20" gun with a 1:9 heavy barrel. It's got a brake on it that has the vents angling forward away from the muzzle. Kind of strange and I can't ID it. It's also Klintonized on there and staked.

I'm thinking about having it cut down to 18" and re crowned and get a real brake for it installed. This wont give me the setup to shoot the heavier ammo I've stocked up on for it but I'm entertaining the idea just so I can go ahead and build the gun and shoot it. I've got access to most of the other parts I need but would doing this to that barrel be worth it? I don't know where to look to have that kind of fabricating work done and no idea what I'd expect to spend. It would not be a local job for sure so if anyone has any recommendations or have done this before and been happy with the results, please tell...

What kind of accuracy do any of you think could be expected from an M193-like load with this setup and out to what range? I'm not looking to knock down two legged game with it, just want to see if I'll shoot it as much as I think I would. If I shoot it as often as believe I'd use it, when I can find an 18/18.5" 1:7 barrel for a reasonable price I'd drop it in and start running my Mk294 stuff.

It'd be like (hopefully) an accurate plinker . I don't know much about dopes of this load but I'd like to hit 8-10" plates out 500yds or maybe a little more consistently? I do not know if this realistic with that ammo and gun combination. (ETA: with the 55gr or similar load)

It would include:
KAC 2 stage match trigger
Armalite lower with stock LPK
MIAD
Milspec buffer and tube
UBR
Armalite A3 upper with stock BCG
PRI fore end and swan sleeve
Glass undecided but leaning on a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 M3 Illum. w/ TMR reticle

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

citizensoldier16
08-27-09, 15:19
Looks good! Right now my SPR project consists of a BCG. Yeah, thats it...just a BCG. Eh, I'll get around to it here in a little while.

Dave L.
08-28-09, 06:49
Here is mine from a while back.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26050

All that has changed is the scope/mount, it now has the NF NXS 2.5-10X32 ZS Mil-Dot, and the NF Uni-mount. also put a GB charging handle on (not that it needed one).

Sam
08-28-09, 09:22
DaveL:
That's a very nice gun. How does it shoot?
I can't wait to assemble mine, hopefully I get the barrel today or Monday, the post office is very slow.

Dave L.
08-28-09, 10:11
DaveL:
That's a very nice gun. How does it shoot?
I can't wait to assemble mine, hopefully I get the barrel today or Monday, the post office is very slow.

Just under 1 MOA but I have not played with it for more than 20 minutes. I only had time to shoot one group with it before I left. I'll update my original thread with new pics when I get home next week...hopefully I'll get to shoot it too.

Sam
08-31-09, 22:08
Guess what the mailman brought? It wore a blue fishnet condom :)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/SPR_001.jpg

Unsheathed:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/SPR_002.jpg

I was going to go to my buddy's house on Tuesday after work to put it together since he has the upper receiver block thingy. But I just couldn't wait, like a kid on Christmas morning.....

Here it is:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/SPR_004.jpg

It went together rather nicely. I'll put iron sights on it later.

(Edited to replace old crappy picture with a better one, it shows the new permanent Magpul CTR stock and bipod.)

I'll have to wait until Saturday afternoon to see if it's the world's most expensive single shot AR or if it's a repeater :)

bradb55
08-31-09, 22:25
Looks great.

NCPatrolAR
08-31-09, 22:25
Looks good. Maybe you can setup some kind of DMR class and we can run our guns (mine is built off a 16" Bushy dissy upper).

Sam
08-31-09, 22:33
Looks good. Maybe you can setup some kind of DMR class and we can run our guns (mine is built off a 16" Bushy dissy upper).

Thanks dude. I've been trying to set up a class with a sniper with the 101st. that returned from Iraq last year, but I'm not having any luck. I'll let you know if I can get a big name instructor :) to do a class for us.

tmckay2
08-31-09, 23:42
looks nice. fyi, rainier arms had some woa spr barrels in stock but now it shows only the mid length gas tube ones, not the rifle length. still, something to keep an eye on

ra2bach
08-31-09, 23:55
looks nice. fyi, rainier arms had some woa spr barrels in stock but now it shows only the mid length gas tube ones, not the rifle length. still, something to keep an eye on

what's the benefit of the rifle vs the mid length?

redyak3
09-01-09, 00:16
Nice looking weapon Sam
Congrats on a great job!

Sam
09-05-09, 21:17
Finally got a chance to take the SPR for its initial test firing. I'm very satisfied, very happy that the project gun didn't turn out to be the most expensive single shot AR :). It fed, extract, fire and repeat the whole process every time I pressed the trigger. I was shooting GA Arms "Canned Heat" reloads (55gr.), got 2" groups at 100 yds. The cheap Barska scope and SWFA/Burris mount worked fine, didn't break or blow up. I didn't get a chance to go to 200 due to the setting sun and was tired from zeroing my friend's gun. As a side note, his Ruger AR and scope combination was a time consuming ordeal. His cheap scope was way off. Took awhile to get it dialed in.
Next time I'll try to do better at 100 and will go out to 200. Might even break out the high dollar Hornady and Black Hills ammo.

This gun is going to be fun to shoot. Need to get a better stock and bipod attachment.

Sone
09-05-09, 21:51
what bipod mount are you using

Sam
09-06-09, 09:26
what bipod mount are you using

I'll get one from Brownells, the kind that has the sling stud so I can use my existing bipod.

BTW, I lubed the gun's internal and BCG with MOTOR OIL. I will stricktly use only motor oil on this rifle as an experiment.

A little brighter picture.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/SPR_006.jpg

jwfuhrman
09-06-09, 09:48
Looks good!

I am going to do a couple.

I have an 18" 6.8 barrel from Cardinal, and an 18" 556 from Rainier (their own label) and an 18" 556 Noveske. One of these days I will get started on it...

sooooo ummmm, how much you want for the Noveske barrel? haha

Sam
09-14-09, 12:24
Took the SPR out to 200 yds. I still don't have any good ammo yet, so I was shooting GA Arms 55gr. ball reloads.

The best groups were 3" and the worst were 5", using 10X position on the scope. It's not great, but I can live with it.

RogerinTPA
09-14-09, 15:40
Took the SPR out to 200 yds. I still don't have any good ammo yet, so I was shooting GA Arms 55gr. ball reloads.

The best groups were 3" and the worst were 5", using 10X position on the scope. It's not great, but I can live with it.

Looks like a nice setup same, congrats.

How many rounds did you fire in those groups?

The barrel, was that the WOA barrel you were waiting on?

Sam
09-14-09, 16:25
Looks like a nice setup same, congrats.

How many rounds did you fire in those groups?

The barrel, was that the WOA barrel you were waiting on?

Thanks.

I shot 5 rounds for each group.

The barrel is a Douglas. The WOA is still at WOA :)

RogerinTPA
09-14-09, 16:36
Thanks.

I shot 5 rounds for each group.

The barrel is a Douglas. The WOA is still at WOA :)

Thanks Sam,

Just trying to get some ideas about a SPR build, but this will be have to be further down the road.

Roger

Sam
10-12-09, 13:00
WOA barrel finally showed up at the 14th weeks, they quoted 20 weeks. It looks really nice, about identical to the Douglas barrel.