PDA

View Full Version : Botched SBR engraving fixed; need to refinish

Argus
08-06-09, 23:06
I'm not sure this is the right place for this question, but I'm not sure where else it fits.

Anyway, here's the story...

I recently went through the process of building an SBR (10.5" LMT on a Stag lower). I took the lower to a local (Richmond, VA area) gunsmith to have it engraved with my trust name (I should have known better with this particular shop, but that's another story). Unfortunately, the engraving did not come out well at all (very shallow, the lines weren't straight, and the lettering looked like it belonged on a bowling trophy or something). It was bad enough that he didn't even try to charge me for it.

After a couple of months, I got tired of having a badass SBR that I was embarrassed to show to anyone because of the crappy engraving. So today I took the lower up to TSC Machine to see if they could salvage it. Mike was great to work with. He was able to sand out the old engraving and re-did it for me. The new engraving looks much better, but now the right side of the magwell is bare aluminum. Once it's refinished I think it will look great though. I figure I have a few options:

1. Paint it myself - I've got some Duplicolor engine paint that I used on an AK a while ago. This would be easy and would cost nothing, and I can do it tomorrow. Also, it will be easy to touch up in the future as the finish wears. I'm currently leaning towards this option as I am an immediate gratification kind of guy. The downside of course is that paint is not very durable.

2. Send it off for re-anodizing. It looks like I can get this done for $75 at US Anodizing. That isn't bad, and it would be nice to have a completely anodized lower. Downside is the wait time involved with sending it off, plus the additional cost.

3. Have it powdercoated. I have no experience with this and no idea how much it would cost, but it looks like there are a couple of places around Richmond that could do it. Has anyone gone this route?

4. Send it off for Duracoating or similar. Not really considering this at this point, as it seems to combine the downside of painting (less durable) with the downsides of re-anodizing (more expensive, wait time). But maybe I'm wrong, so I'm listing it as an option.

Thoughts, opinions, other options?

Thanks in advance.

SPM14430
08-06-09, 23:23
I would say option # 2, get it re-anodized.

You already spent a lot of money, time and effort building the SBR, might as well get it finished properly despite the longer wait. I think with the other options you may have regrets down the road.

Perhaps you can strip the upper and send both to get re-anodized for a perfect match.

LOKNLOD
08-07-09, 00:40
Option 5: Paint the whole rifle
Option 6: Cover it up with a Redi-Mag
Option 7: 5 + 6 :D

I don't think the effort of trying to re-anodize is worth it. If I wanted more than a spraypaint type finish, and I probably would, I'd looking into the Duracoat and similar options. Done right they can be pretty durable and dare I say it's not like you're going to really be beating on that spot...

Fireglock
08-07-09, 17:03
It's a registered lower, make sure where ever you send it can legally receive it.

Argus
08-07-09, 20:45
Thanks for the input. Yes, the anodizer that I am thinking about using is an FFL/SOT, so sending it to them is no problem. The lower's NFA status would be an issue with getting someone to powdercoat, unless one of the local shops can do it while I wait I guess.

One thing about a DIY paint finish is that if I decide I want to have it re-anodized later, the paint should be pretty easy to remove (I think).

I have considered a Redi-Mag, but one of the things I really like about this SBR is its how light it is. I may at some point paint the whole rifle with some sort of camo pattern, but for now I want to stick with basic black.

Any other thoughts? Anyone have experience with the Brownells spray can Gun-Kote finish? I think one of the local gun shops usually has a few cans in stock. Is it any more durable than engine paint would be?