PDA

View Full Version : USPSA shooter on Miami Vice (TV, not the movie)

Robb Jensen
02-01-07, 09:44
This was posted on another site.

Miami Vice hitman video (http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:ZiOQ_xZXqkQJ:blog.joehuffman.org/CommentView,guid,0b264028-f4ca-45b5-8803-d7e0413e71b4.aspx+zubiena+mozambique&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=6), he's very fast from a cross draw and fires 3 rounds. I can't see the jam they describe in the video I think he was just 'unloading and showing clear' as a habit. Cool SPAS-12 shotgun too, but those are some heavy bitches.

The hitman in the video is Jim Zubienna USPSA Grandmaster, he was in a few Michael Mann movies and an actor and consultant. That was roughly a 1 sec draw, very fast for 15-20yrs ago, but pretty average A or B class shooter nowadays. The blanks help with split times as well, probably a little bit softer than even downloaded 'gamer' loads.

Jim's shooting some kind of subgun here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yu-S0v1jkAY) but I can't make out what it is. I don't think it's an UZI because he'd have some problems with his hand on top of it.

TOrrock
02-01-07, 09:55
I remember that episode.

Very cool. :cool:

Cold Zero
02-01-07, 10:37
gotm4;

thanks for posting that clip. i had not seen that in a long time.

that guy was fast....:cool:

MaceWindu
02-01-07, 11:03
Jim shooting some kind of subgun here but I can't make out what it is. I don't think it's an UZI because he'd have some problems with his hand on top of it.

Believe it or not, but that is a full auto Mini-14. Look closely...cool.

Mace

Robb Jensen
02-01-07, 11:13
Believe it or not, but that is a full auto Mini-14. Look closely...cool.

Mace

You're right that is a Ruger AC-556 (shorter bbl than a Mini-14).

mike240
02-01-07, 11:28
AC-556K to be more specific. The AC-556 is the same size of the Mini 14 but is select fire. Ks are the short barreled model.

Sam
02-01-07, 19:15
Jim Zubiena.

rhino
02-01-07, 23:57
Just a small point . . . Mr. Zubiena's participation in practical shooting preceded the formation of USPSA, so he was technically an IPSC shooter back then.

Edited to add: My point above is wrong. Please see the following message for a correction.

Robb Jensen
02-02-07, 06:11
Just a small point . . . Mr. Zubiena's participation in practical shooting preceded the formation of USPSA, so he was technically an IPSC shooter back then.

quoted from the 'History' at www.uspsa.com:
In 1976 an international group of enthusiasts interested in what had become known as "practical" shooting met in Columbia, Missouri. From that meeting came the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC). In 1984 USPSA was incorporated as the US Region of IPSC. Membership in USPSA automatically includes membership in IPSC.

The Miami Vice TV show ran from 1984-1989.

Technically, we can call him anything that he participated in. If he still shot after the incorporation of USPSA then he would be correctly called an USPSA shooter.

rhino
02-02-07, 11:55
Well, that settles that, then! I was wrong! Thank you for the correction!

quoted from the 'History' at www.uspsa.com:
In 1976 an international group of enthusiasts interested in what had become known as "practical" shooting met in Columbia, Missouri. From that meeting came the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC). In 1984 USPSA was incorporated as the US Region of IPSC. Membership in USPSA automatically includes membership in IPSC.

The Miami Vice TV show ran from 1984-1989.

Technically, we can call him anything that he participated in. If he still shot after the incorporation of USPSA then he would be correctly called an USPSA shooter.

Striker5
02-08-07, 10:16
I remember seeing that scene when I was a kid. It is still awesome! Interetingly enough when I joined the forum I tried to make a screen shot of this scene my avatar but was too stupid to figure out how to make it fit.

On the Gun Zone, there is a good section on that scene and there is a piece where Zubiena explains the actions of his character.

After apparently killing the chauffer offscreen, he kills his target w/ the shotgun then does a failure to stop on the security guy. He ditches his gloves and weapon to blend in. He clears the pistol so no one can use it on him as he leaves the scene.

In the final shootout of the episode, it's interesting to see that once his character realizes he's in a stand up fight he tries to break contact.

Nice to know Mann has always been consistent on his technical stuff.