PDA

View Full Version : Sidearmor hoster for fast presentations?

Linea_de_Fuego
02-01-07, 11:44
I have been looking for a new belt level holster for a 1911 that will allow a fast presentation for USPSA competition. The CR Speed holster that I am used to won't help for the Single Stack division.

I tried the economy Blade-Tech and did not like it.

One of the recommendations was for this Sidearmor model.

http://sidearmor.com/images/holsters/1911/modular/gallery/TLE_Features_640.jpg

Has anyone tried this one?

Robb Jensen
02-01-07, 11:58
Side Armor holsters a pretty fast as is pretty much all Kydex holsters. I would adjust it so that the cant is neutral, neutral is faster (not ideal for carry but great for competition). The holster you pictured is cut a little too high for me near the ejection port. I like mine cut lower so I don't have to lift my right arm as high to get the muzzle out before driving the gun to the target, it's probably in the hundreds of a second difference but I don't like a high cut hoster.

Also work on your draw.

A technique that I use which is very fast for is to sweep your hand past and slightly below the holster and have your hand below the holster and draw so that your middle finger rubs the back spine of the holster to guide your hand to the grip instead of coming down on the gun from the top. It takes a little getting used to it but it's very fast and you'll disengage the grip safety everytime and get a good purchase on the gun without having to adjust your grip while the gun is in motion. With this technique I can get 1 sec draws pretty regularly and sub 1 sec sometimes. Todd Jarrett can do 0.68sec draws doing this.

It works for the surrender position or hands naturally at sides.

Linea_de_Fuego
02-01-07, 14:45
Side Armor holsters a pretty fast as is pretty much all Kydex holsters.

Thanks for the reply. I do use that upsweep draw, but with the race holster there isn't anything to index your hand against. I'll work on that.

My concern is how well the pistol releases from retention. I know that it won't be as minimal as a speed holster, but that blade tech wouldn't release.

Robb Jensen
02-01-07, 17:27
Thanks for the reply. I do use that upsweep draw, but with the race holster there isn't anything to index your hand against. I'll work on that.

My concern is how well the pistol releases from retention. I know that it won't be as minimal as a speed holster, but that blade tech wouldn't release.

I think (I might be wrong) that Dave Sevigny won the 2006 Limited USPSA Nationals using a Blade-Tech holster, they can be very fast. I really don't find that my Safariland 560 or Blade Tech holsters are slower than my STI out of a Ghost holster.

Linea_de_Fuego
02-01-07, 19:56
That may be true for the better Blade-Tech models. I had tried the $15 model which I didn't like.

I was just looking for some definative input before I got another kydex holster.

rhino
02-01-07, 23:46
I have been looking for a new belt level holster for a 1911 that will allow a fast presentation for USPSA competition. The CR Speed holster that I am used to won't help for the Single Stack division.

It may take a while to get it (or it might be quick), but the best in the market is: Ky-Tac (http://www.kytac.com) If it matters, Dave Sevigny has won a lot of matches with Ky-Tac holsters.

In general, if you're looking to maximize speed, you probably want to avoid holsters with detents and other protrusions used to increase retention. A holster that uses just simple friction will (when adjusted properly) let you draw faster. Ky-Tac holsters fit that bill, as do some others.

The custom bent Kydex holsters from Blade-Tech are similar in that they use friction and not detents (like their injection molder holster that you did not like). You may be well served by one of them, and I believe they keep them in stock for 1911s now.

Linea_de_Fuego
02-02-07, 11:30
you probably want to avoid holsters with detents and other protrusions used to increase retention. A holster that uses just simple friction will (when adjusted properly) let you draw faster. Ky-Tac holsters fit that bill, as do some others.

That design without the detent is a good idea and just might be the ticket. What other holsters have no detent.

I was trying to find out about the Safariland 5186 that appears to have no detent but I have read that it is too tight.

Another choice is the Blade-Tech SRB.

rhino
02-02-07, 11:39
That design without the detent is a good idea and just might be the ticket. What other holsters have no detent.

You'd have to cruise some web sites and look at photos or ask the makers.

Here is the Ky-Tac holster that I would recommend: Ky-Tac SooperHooper (http://www.kytac.com/page2.html).

You may also want to consider his Ky-Tac 1.0, but if you plan to shoot in 1911 Single Stack Division, you should make sure that he makes it so it meets the holster rules.

The Blade-Tech SRB and their regular belt holster are also fine products that would serve you well.