PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP. Stripped an allen screw.

G19A3
08-07-09, 22:13
I was trying to change an Aimpoint T-1 mount to another one. I stripped one of the four small allen screws that secure the mount from underneath. I applied blue locktite to all four allen screws when originally mounted. Three of the four came out OK, but the hole in the last screw got rounded.

Can anyone advise?

mkaeding
08-07-09, 23:24
Try the tightest fitting allen wrench you can find and let it set up with red loctite. When the red loctite is set, you can often turn through the blue and back the screw out. I've also used super glue with success in place of the red loctite on allen heads that still had some edge to them. Good luck.

Robb Jensen
08-08-09, 08:11
Use a small easy out. Heat the screw and mount the Aimpoint in a very padded vise.

JSGlock34
08-08-09, 08:23
Were you trying to remove the factory mount? This was a known problem with some of the early T-1 mounts. I was unwilling to take a drill to my new $500 red dot sight, and so sent it back to Aimpoint. It was quickly back in my hands. Rob's advice is correct, but if you'd prefer not to mess with it, give John at Aimpoint a call at (703) 263-9795 X 223 and he'll square you away.

DTHN2LGS
08-08-09, 19:29
Sometimes a sacrificial torx bit pounded in can turn them too.

G19A3
08-08-09, 19:34
Sometimes a sacrificial torx bit pounded in can turn them too.

I tapped in a small torx bit and got er out.:D Thanks all for your attention and suggestions.:)