PDA

View Full Version : Private property in the U.S.

Medicine Calf
08-08-09, 07:25
Should foreign nationals or corporations be allowed to own property in the U.S.? Is this a necessary component of our economic philosophy, or is it a reality that is too complex to reverse?

Business_Casual
08-08-09, 08:05
Are you serious? Of course they should, have, do and will. Same way we own property abroad. There is an entire US agency devoted to this practice as well.

What possible reason would a free, western Democracy prevent ownership by anyone?

M_P

ToddG
08-08-09, 10:03
Are you serious? Of course they should, have, do and will.

^^^^^^ What he said.

richard1
08-08-09, 10:17
Not all nations allow people who are not residents to buy or own property. I belive that is what the first post was referring to.

Left Sig
08-08-09, 10:33
It's a necessary component. Why? Because we depend on foreign investment.

Americans save virtually nothing in banks. That means banks don't have enough capital to lend to business for investment. The investment dollars have to come from somewhere, so they come from overseas, and one thing they buy is investment property within the US. The return of dollars by way of foreign investment is how many foreign countries spend the dollars they get from us when we import their goods.

Basically, we give them money for imported goods, and they turn around and spend that money buying investments from us, thus balancing the trade equation. You could argue either way which is the cause and which is the effect. Do they invest because we buy from them, or do we buy because they invest?

mmike87
08-08-09, 10:47
Yes, allowing our country to be colonized by foreigners who want to change our country is a great idea.

Medicine Calf
08-08-09, 11:58
It's a necessary component. Why? Because we depend on foreign investment.

Americans save virtually nothing in banks. That means banks don't have enough capital to lend to business for investment. The investment dollars have to come from somewhere, so they come from overseas, and one thing they buy is investment property within the US. The return of dollars by way of foreign investment is how many foreign countries spend the dollars they get from us when we import their goods.

Basically, we give them money for imported goods, and they turn around and spend that money buying investments from us, thus balancing the trade equation. You could argue either way which is the cause and which is the effect. Do they invest because we buy from them, or do we buy because they invest?

Good response, and of course this is virtually an irreversible fact of our economy.

Mjolnir
08-08-09, 12:38
No, it's not necessary. They should be allowed a limited lease but never own. Likewise, I'd maintain that all nations adopt similar laws.

kmrtnsn
08-08-09, 13:56
"Yes, allowing our country to be colonized by foreigners who want to change our country is a great idea."

Isn't that how we became a country?

Saginaw79
08-08-09, 14:29
Are you serious? Of course they should, have, do and will. Same way we own property abroad. There is an entire US agency devoted to this practice as well.

What possible reason would a free, western Democracy prevent ownership by anyone?

M_P

Republic! Not a Democracy ;)

Business_Casual
08-08-09, 15:29
Republic! Not a Democracy ;)

If I were merely referring to the USA, yes. However, I meant it in the classic liberal sense of a Western Democracy; any one of them.

M_P

senorlinc
08-09-09, 00:33
From an economic standpoint i think yes. if local folks cant afford it then sell it to is willing to keep values stable and pay the taxes on it

remember back in Feudal times when only nobles owned land? people have always fought battles over turf?

I will add that i own property abroad (nothing glamorous BTW). some deals were more complicated than others. i needed local partners to purchase in Australia and Jamaica. the federales are my partners in Mexico, they own the land, i lease it from them. i own the building. costa rica and panama are sketchy as well. i was told i own but title isnt super clear or insured