PDA

View Full Version : What magazine do you read / are out there and good?

treebark
08-09-09, 00:31
In a recent order a merchant included a copy of swat magazine. I have never been one for magazines but I really enjoyed reading some of it and it got me thinking there are likely a lot out there. I want to subscribe to a few, any stick out above the others?general gun related, more specifics, training/skills/tip types, etc.

I plan on going to a bookstore and thumb through some the next time we are in town, but that may not be the best indicator.

montanadave
08-09-09, 09:11
I'd also like to hear about any magazines which provide objective, critical firearms reviews and decent articles on shooting technique, firearm maintenance, etc. Most of the magazines I've picked up are nothing more than glossy "ad rags" whose sole purpose seems to be pimping every new gun coming on the market. The reviewers wouldn't say shit if they had a mouthful because the manufacturers wouldn't send them any more free guns and they'd pull their ads.

Mr.Goodtimes
08-09-09, 09:50
playboy is pretty good, and im pretty sure its got words in it too.

geminidglocker
08-09-09, 10:20
Gun Tests is my favorite, since they buy guns off the shelf, as opposed to getting them free from the manufacturer.

5pins
08-09-09, 12:02
playboy is pretty good, and im pretty sure its got words in it too.

It has words?

ST911
08-09-09, 12:48
In a recent order a merchant included a copy of swat magazine. I have never been one for magazines but I really enjoyed reading some of it and it got me thinking there are likely a lot out there. I want to subscribe to a few, any stick out above the others?general gun related, more specifics, training/skills/tip types, etc. I plan on going to a bookstore and thumb through some the next time we are in town, but that may not be the best indicator.

SWAT is the only one worth subscribing to. The rest are "meh" at best. Even Gun Tests. There are a few bright spots in others, usually certain authors and on certain topics. You'll have to keep flipping through the mags at bookstores to find them.

JSantoro
08-09-09, 12:55
I was led to believe that Small Arms Review wasn't appallingly bad...

SteyrAUG
08-09-09, 13:41
Gun Tests is my favorite, since they buy guns off the shelf, as opposed to getting them free from the manufacturer.

The only problem is they don't know an awful lot about guns besides basic bench shooting for accuracy. One specific example that still stands out in my mind was when they had a postban (during the ban years) AR-15 carbine with a pinned open M4 stock and they noted it had a compartment in the stock for a cleaning kit like a full size AR-15 but lacked a door to keep such a kit contained.

I like Small Arms Review for the articles and reliable information. But you have to take their "reviews" of new guns with a grain of salt. I can't recall ever seeing a bad review, even when I know the guns in question aren't all that great. But if you ignore that and realize most advertisers are "goober guns" the articles on machine guns, firearm history and notables who influenced the industry are well worth it.

JiMfraRED1911
08-09-09, 14:08
S.W.A.T., Top Gear, F1 Racing, Excellence and Show.

Terminal Effect
08-09-09, 17:11
From ze German pershpektive...

caliber (caliber.de)
Visier (visier.de)
Messermagazin (messer-magazin.de)

The first two focus on guns and sometimes they even include gelatin or Swiss soap tests.
The last one is all about knives.

Of course I also read various political mags, such as Time.

JHC
08-09-09, 17:21
I buy SWAT largely on the strength of some of their writers/contributors. I buy anything Pat Rogers is published in. Same for Scott Reitz. Jeff Randall is also a big plus for SWAT. They have published some stinkers tho but that's life.

Other than that I will pickup Guns and American Handgunner. Again on the strength of a few of their writers.

All mags are a poor sub for learning from SME's on good forums such as this one.

I'll also generally buy anything to read anything David Fortier has written.

bkb0000
08-09-09, 17:31
i haven't done a lot of gun rag reading, and it's because the couple times i year i pick one up and flip through, i find absolutely nothing of truth and/or value inside.. its really amazing the complete rubbish that gets written.

there are some quality people that do articles for some of these publications- and those articles, when they have them are probably good to go.. but the hard part for someone trying to learn about the platform and tactics in general is that they have no way to distinguish bullshit from cannon.

Abraxas
08-09-09, 17:43
The only problem is they don't know an awful lot about guns besides basic bench shooting for accuracy. One specific example that still stands out in my mind was when they had a postban (during the ban years) AR-15 carbine with a pinned open M4 stock and they noted it had a compartment in the stock for a cleaning kit like a full size AR-15 but lacked a door to keep such a kit contained.

That is window licking special

Vash1023
08-09-09, 18:48
surefire combat tactics!

kbrdann
08-09-09, 19:33
I like to read SOF and SWAT. Also Tactical Knives.

RancidSumo
08-09-09, 20:15
Of course I also read various political mags, such as Time.

Why? Time is one of the worst magazines I have been forced to read. As an extemper, I can say that the only magazine of that type that I find worth reading is The Economist.

sholling
08-10-09, 03:11
Most magazines whether it be a gun rag, computer rag, or car rag will base their product reviews on the advertising budget of the maker. But there are exceptions. These are the ones that I subscribe to because they are the most reliable.

Concealed Carry Magazine
Gun tests
Guns
American Handgunner

I also read Swat now and then as a thank you for sponsoring one of my favorite forums.

M4Fundi
08-10-09, 03:16
PDJ is the only one I subscribe to, but will read SWAT occasionally when I can get one.

rob_s
08-10-09, 08:03

The problem with Gun Tests is that, while their intentions are good, it appears to be run by a bunch of nincompoops. I have read some of the singularly stupidest things ever in print while reading Gun Tests.

I have written for SWAT so take it with a grain of salt, but even before writing for them it was the only gun mag I subscribed to. I've heard some criticisms of the magazine over the last year or so for some seemingly odd articles, and one of their regular contributors gets a lot of flack, but to me the magazine is worth it for articles by guys like Scott Reitz, Louis Awerbuck, and Pat Rogers, and all three typically appear in every issue. I can forgive an article about the belt-sword when the same issue contains other information of value.

buzz_knox
08-10-09, 08:08

That's their claim but it's not true. Rohrbaug outed them a few years back (the Rohrbaug they tested was a media sample sent to another magazine after Gun Tests had it). They also have a problem with honoring their "free trial issue" offer. If you turn down the subscription, they threaten to send a collections agency after you.

Charlie-2-6
08-10-09, 09:03
I have written for SWAT so take it with a grain of salt, but even before writing for them it was the only gun mag I subscribed to. I've heard some criticisms of the magazine over the last year or so for some seemingly odd articles, and one of their regular contributors gets a lot of flack, but to me the magazine is worth it for articles by guys like Scott Reitz, Louis Awerbuck, and Pat Rogers, and all three typically appear in every issue. I can forgive an article about the belt-sword when the same issue contains other information of value.

Hey I have that copy, it's the one with "Build your own match" or something similar, right. Should I frame it and chase you for an autographed copy WITH personal message? ;)

Now back on a more serious note: I'm on to my second subscription of SWAT magazine, mainly because of the reason you mentioned above. It's difficult to get decent magazines this side of the pond in PC world. The german magazines (Visier etc) are great for their technical contents but they lack the "tips & techniques", if I'm allowed to put it that simple, of SWAT mag.

FLGator
08-10-09, 10:38
The problem with Gun Tests is that, while their intentions are good, it appears to be run by a bunch of nincompoops. I have read some of the singularly stupidest things ever in print while reading Gun Tests.

The new issue of SWAT prints a great letter from a reader cracking on the magazine for the article on the belt-sword among other things.

+1 on SWAT and SAR. For honest gun reviews I prefer one or two choice websites to any magazine.

andy t
08-10-09, 10:50
I find the magazines mostly good for pictures. Even in SWAT I never saw anything negative about a product they review.
Most information in a magazine is usually found online anyway. I do occasionally buy Surefire Combat Tactics, but only for the pictures.

buzz_knox
08-10-09, 15:57
I find the magazines mostly good for pictures. Even in SWAT I never saw anything negative about a product they review.
Most information in a magazine is usually found online anyway. I do occasionally buy Surefire Combat Tactics, but only for the pictures.

Awerbuck gave an accurate enough report on problems with the Benelli M1014 that Benelli threatened to sue him and SWAT unless they retracted it. Rich Lucibella's response was to give Benelli the address where he could be served.

treebark
08-10-09, 19:39
Thanks all! Great info. SWAT and American Handgunner had numerous votes here and over at defensive carry so going with those two for sure for now, but have a list to check out when I make it to the bookstore too!!!

Irish
08-10-09, 20:30
Awerbuck gave an accurate enough report on problems with the Benelli M1014 that Benelli threatened to sue him and SWAT unless they retracted it. Rich Lucibella's response was to give Benelli the address where he could be served.

That's great! :cool:

mattjmcd
08-10-09, 23:56
Wine Spectator. Seriously. It can be a fun read, with lots of travel and wine insider stuff.

SteyrAUG
08-11-09, 00:11

Same thing happened to me when I did an online review of the Vector 53 and 93 rifles on arfcom a couple years ago. They told me they would no longer sell me rifles and the only reason they weren't going to sue me is because "technically" everything I said was true and documented it with pictures.

They weren't the least bit concerned about selling rifles with problems, only that people might point them out.

crusader4x
08-11-09, 00:23
I just browse the magazine rack and see if there are any that have articles I'm interested in. I take ALL "review" articles with a grain of salt.

As far as NON-firearms magazines go, Armchair General is by far my most favorite followed closely by Military History.

SWATcop556
08-11-09, 00:48
SWAT is a good magazine to read as it does contain a lot of good information. It's not all great info though, as a certain training "expert" has written for the and he has made an as of himself as of late (something about having camera men down range :p). I remember an article on the Vickers 1911 by Nighthawk that was less than flattering, but Nighthawk did make the issues right.

I had high hopes for Tactical Weapons but each issue has had less and less quality information. Not bad but could be better.

I also get Command through TTPOA and The Tactical Edge through NTOA.

I mainly stick with those as I have yet to kind anything else. Most of the others just praise the latest DPMS or BM abomination.

loupav
08-11-09, 00:57
surefire combat tactics!

You can subscribe to that?? If so, please let me know, I love that magazine. I thought it only came out once a quarter.

Well anyway, I buy SWAT every month at 7-11 down the street.

thedog
08-11-09, 01:02
Finescale Modeler is a great rag. Shotgun News, is/was awesome, depending on. Stupid internet:rolleyes:....

dog

wargasm
08-11-09, 01:27
Small Arms Review, Backwoods Home Magazine, Shotgun News Anthems.

mattjmcd
08-11-09, 11:03
You have to be USNI member, but Proceedings is good too. Actually, if you look hard enough, you can find it in retail places, but only very rarely.