PDA

View Full Version : Surefire M73 Rails

Jon G23
08-09-09, 22:47
I hope this is the right place to ask....

Do any of you have these rails? I am curious how easy they are to install and how is their quality? Are they decent rails?

My main use is to add a light and Vert. Grip., probably nothing else.

Pro's or con's for these?

Pictures are welcomed too! :)

LOKNLOD
08-09-09, 23:23
I had an M82 rail, which is one of the midlength versions, on my rifle before I went to a long FF rail.

They're a pretty decent non-FF rail, I think, especially at the prices you see the used ones going for. At full retail, I'd save a little more and put it toward an Omega rail.

Mine locked up tight, and was plenty stout for a vert grip and/or light. The top rail is lower than the upper's rail, which I remember some people complaining about, but I don't have much see a reason to mount anything up there.

Another plus, is that they come with 3 of the Surefire ladder panels and they're grippier (more rubbery) than other ladder panels, I liked them, as far as ladder panels go.

Here's an old pic of mine:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/LOKNLOD/001.jpg

Hell_Bent
08-09-09, 23:46
I ran a set of M73's on my duty M4 in Iraq for about a year and a half. They're perfectly functional, not really on the "cool gear" skyline at the moment - which is a good thing if your in the market for price.

As far as specifics, I'd echo exactly what was said above. The top rail is lower than the flattop, not a big issue in a non-FF rail that you're not likely to mount optics/precision accessories to. They mount up very easily and tight with set screws (Horizonal set screws with allen-heads versus the vertical screws you see on most two piece rails. If they loosen, they don't fall to the ground unless you miss the problem for an extended time - I never lost a screw despite the fact that I never loc-tited them). I used mine for the exact application you describe - a VFG and light. I can honestly say I gave them fairly hard use without issue.

There were several dozen of us on the same contract running them at the time (as you could pick them up in country at PX's on Victory, etc) and I never heard any complaints. I DHL'd mine stateside when I left the company and used them for another year or two before going to FF rails on my personal carbines. You commonly see them for just over $100 used in good shape. Mine looked like hell and I sold them for around $75, I think.

RetreatHell
08-10-09, 00:21
Go with the Daniel Defense Omega, bro. Trust me, you'll be much happier with the Omega Rail vs. the SF M73.

I had the M73 and sold it after only running it for a few short months. There's just better options out there, man. If you're going to get a two-piece rail system, then please do yourself a huge favor and buy the DD Omega or the Knights Armament RAS (Or is it RIS? I'm not sure b/c I've never owned the KAC non-free float rails, just URX II's.)

I think rail systems are like the ONLY thing that Surefire doesn't kick major ass at. Every other product that SF makes pretty much rocks! Especially their X300!!

-Paul

Eric
08-10-09, 01:30
I've been using a set for a few years and really don't have any complaints for what I need them to do. Granted they are not FF and they don't match the height of the upper rail. Overall, I do like the DD Omega rail better, which was not available when I picked up the M73.

acrashb
08-10-09, 09:10
Sold rail system, but as mentioned:
- not FF. May or may not be an issue, but why not go FF if you can? I never liked the way the rail put uneven stress on the FSB.
- not even with the top of the receiver. If you forward-mount, for example, an EoTech, the slightly lower rail will get in the way.

All in all, you have fewer future options with this rail. DD Omega, as mentioned, is a good route.

Jon G23
08-10-09, 10:29
Thanks Guys! I can get a DD Omega at a pretty good price so I think I'll jump on it.

John_Wayne777
08-10-09, 12:55
I hope this is the right place to ask....

Do any of you have these rails? I am curious how easy they are to install and how is their quality? Are they decent rails?

My main use is to add a light and Vert. Grip., probably nothing else.

Pro's or con's for these?

Pictures are welcomed too! :)

I have one on my old Bushmaster.

They install fairly easily. They are held on essentially by the tension generated by the allen screws on the front of the rail. These screws tend to work their way loose after a while, even if you lock-tite them. Even when tightened down properly the rail shifts when you apply pressure on it.

For mounting a VFG and a light, it works. It's not great, but it's adequate.

The Daniel Defense Omega rail, on the other hand, is a thing of beauty.

Jon G23
08-10-09, 13:04
I have one on my old Bushmaster.

They install fairly easily. They are held on essentially by the tension generated by the allen screws on the front of the rail. These screws tend to work their way loose after a while, even if you lock-tite them. Even when tightened down properly the rail shifts when you apply pressure on it.

For mounting a VFG and a light, it works. It's not great, but it's adequate.

The Daniel Defense Omega rail, on the other hand, is a thing of beauty.

Then thats what my Colt needs... a thing of beauty! :-)

I'm getting the DD Omega.

rmecapn
08-10-09, 14:35
FWIW, I had a M73 on my first carbine. It wouldn't work with a TD VFG. The TD would not lock up and there was a fair bit of lateral movement. The next time I went for a non-FF rail, I went with the Troy DI. The TD VFG works great and locks up tight. SF's lights may be the shizzle, but there are better non-FF rails on the market.

SWATcop556
08-10-09, 14:36
Once DD introduced the Omega rails I see no use for the Surefire rails.

PRGGodfather
08-10-09, 15:32
The Surefire M73 is a decent two-piece, non-free-float carbine rail, which is very solid and sturdy. If you can find a used one for $100 or less, you're doing pretty well.

Otherwise, for a new two-piece, non-free-float rail -- I think Midwest Industries does a better job for less money, since simply, the M73 really isn't all that special.

There is no question the DD Omega 7.0 is a quality piece, but it is also a free-float and will cost an additional $100 at the very least. If you want to buy once and cry once, but the DD Omega -- to be sure.

If you're not a heavy user and want a rail to hold just a flashlight and vertical grip, the MI is a decent value on a par with the M73. Most people who buy rails don't really need them...

Just MHO, YMMV.

Pistola
08-10-09, 22:22
One more vote for DD omega rail, 'coz it's free floating:D

Spoon
08-11-09, 00:49
My ar15 came with the M73 rails, they were super easy to install. The bottom rail bears on the barrel nut, the top rail has screws that push against the bottom rail locking it into place. Its pretty sturdy but "I do wonder if it will loosen over time?Just read John_Wayne777 post up above" I did apply loctite to keep the screws from backing out though. I thought the finish was okay. It was free with the rifle but it held a M910A surefire light just fine.

Charlie-2-6
08-11-09, 10:01
Here's my 2 eurocents added to this thread.
The M73 rails were some of the first rails I got for my AR. They sat rocksolid with no play, yet like mentioned by others, they didn't co-align with the upper. Basically that's a non-issue since you're not going to mount any RDS above your barrel.
Anyway, I was able to sell them and get a set of Troy rails instead.

Here's a pic of the rail on my AR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/charlie-2-6/Hardware/SFM73left.jpg