PDA

View Full Version : Domestically made AKs - Why not?

BAC
08-10-09, 12:26
I made an off-hand comment recently that's kinda been bouncing around in my head a bit. Why doesn't anyone produce a Made in USA AK?

Unlike most rifles around the world, there is a solid market for AKs in this country. People like them. Nobody likes the nonsensical import restrictions and 922r compliance crap. Surely all of the major manufacturers in US know this, so why haven't we seen anyone set up and fill this particular market void? A 100% domestically-made AK-47 or -74 couldn't be more than $600, even with a forged/milled (?) receiver and chrome-lined barrel.

If somebody in the US decided to tool up and start cranking out US-made AK-47s and -74s, would you buy one? If so, at what price?

-B

Dunedain
08-10-09, 12:38
If I had to guess? It's because many enthusiasts like AK's not just because they are good weapons, but because they like the authenticity of a real AK made in Russia, or Poland, or wherever. They want the real thing. If you make it in the U.S., it loses some of it's appeal and interest. That's why fans of the AK try to get them as close to a real military AK from Russia or Eastern Europe as they can, with as many authentic parts as possible. It's not just about shooting, it's about having a cool piece of military history; in this case, a deadly piece of military history. :)

Thomas M-4
08-10-09, 12:41
Arsenal inc http://www.arsenalinc.com/
They do use Bulgarian parts. Its kinda hard for US companies to compete with eastern European companies over the prices of manufacturing parts hell its the only thing they are actually good at making AK's remember they pay there work force $2 bucks a day.
Almost forgot the make good imitation Italian clothes too or so I have been told;)

shooter521
08-10-09, 12:55
Inter Ordnance advertises the STG-2000C as being "Made in the USA".

http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IO&Product_Code=IOIN0001&Category_Code=Long+Guns

PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA!

Our STG 2000-C is a high quality 21st century AK type rifle in caliber 7.62 x 39 engineered and designed in Germany and made in the USA.
FFL Required.

It features:
-US made receiver
-US made 16 1/4" barrel
-US polymer stock with ergonomic pistol grip
-US made non-slap trigger components
-Scope mount rail
-M16 style muzzle brake
-New US made polymer 30rd magazine
-Accepts any standard AK magazines
-OA length 36"
-Weight 6 lbs
-Magazine capacity 30rds

BAC
08-10-09, 13:19
Huh, the STG-2000-C. Never heard of that one, thank you for sharing shooter521. A little online snooping and it sounds like they were previously made in Romania (Sadar Arsenal or Cugir Factory, I've read both) side-by-side with WASRs and have proprietary furniture out front. "US-made" seems to have meant furniture, magazine, and enough other parts to be appropriately 922r compliant. Barrel might have been made in the US or Romania.

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IO_AK_Rifles.jpg

The new version, though, might actually be made fully in the US. Might be worth a phone call just to see.

Dunedain, I see what you mean about the authenticity of it all. The collector in me understands that, but the shooting enthusiast just wants a functioning AK. Made in America would be all the better.

-B

SteyrAUG
08-10-09, 15:50
Probably not cost effective.

Given US labor costs you'd just end up with a rifle that costs about as much as a Arsenal AK. The fact is you can import parts much cheaper than the cost to produce the domestically and nobody can build a rifle in this country as cheaply as Romania can. Add to that the fact that the Kalashnikov market is pretty saturated.

Also that "Made in the USA" stuff usually means "assembled in the US with 922r parts."

BAC
08-11-09, 19:19
I wonder about the price difference between producing an AK domestically and importing one. I realize you can import one fairly cheap (between $400 and $550 for WASRs), but how much can it cost to manufacture one in the U.S.? Probably not a whole lot more, only if made here owners wouldn't have to worry themselves with silly import compliance laws and could deck their rifles out with every authentic part they could get their hands on, 'til their heart's content.

-B