PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on PMAGs

goodoleboy
08-10-09, 14:01
I am looking for some 30 round mags that are a good bang for the buck. I've seen several videos depicting these things. I saw this one and it blew my hat in the creek. Is this truth or hype?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAUFHEJFf-E

John_Wayne777
08-10-09, 14:03
I can't tell what video you are trying to embed....but I can say without reservation that PMAGs are good pieces of kit. They are about as good as it can get with AR magazines.

goodoleboy
08-10-09, 14:05
I can't tell what video you are trying to embed....but I can say without reservation that PMAGs are good pieces of kit. They are about as good as it can get with AR magazines.

sorry about that, problem fixed.

I've always used aluminum mags, but those things are outrageous now (for decent ones). Thanks for the info.

larry0071
08-10-09, 14:09
P-Mags are only bested in durability by crowbars and anvils.

Best $16 you will ever spend!

I vote hell-yea to the Pmags!

goodoleboy
08-10-09, 14:16
Now that we have established that these things are damn near indestructable, how well do these mags drop free from the mag well when empty during tactical reloads? As good, better, or worse than aluminum mags? Sorry to sound like such a newb.

goodoleboy
08-10-09, 14:18
Also, these guys offer rubber loops to assist in pulling these out of mag puches. Are these any good? They look a lot more desireable than the 550 cord I ducktaped to mine in the Army.

LOKNLOD
08-10-09, 14:19
PMAGs are great no doubt about it.

But:

I've always used aluminum mags, but those things are outrageous now (for decent ones). Thanks for the info.

You must be shopping in the wrong places, man -- Check out Bravo Company:
D&H w/ green followers $8.99 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20gt30.htm)
Or better yet:
D&H w/ Magpul followers $9.99 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20gt30mf.htm)

SWATcop556
08-10-09, 14:22
All of the hype on Pmags is true. I have 10 aluminum GI mags as spares and the rest of my mags are Pmags.

They are the only mags I use for serious use. Nothing wrong with GI mags but Pmags are just better.

Iraqgunz
08-10-09, 14:42
PMAG's are GTG.

wake.joe
08-10-09, 14:44
Deleted

RancidSumo
08-10-09, 14:51
What I want to know is how the guy in the video accidentally shot a mag. That doesn't seem possible unless you are doing something very stupid.

JiMfraRED1911
08-10-09, 15:01
Made of essence of win.

Microwvbleturtle
08-10-09, 15:11
PMAGS are definitely GTG. I rock mine every day and I've had nothing but good things to say about them.

I use the ranger plates as I feel it's a lot easier to get them out of my rack. If you're running equipment that allows you to get a firm grip on the magazine without pulling it out of your method of retention, then I don't really see a need for them.

LOKNLOD
08-10-09, 15:19
What I want to know is how the guy in the video accidentally shot a mag. That doesn't seem possible unless you are doing something very stupid.

They let the photographer carry it for a day.

chadbag
08-10-09, 15:30

Good one!

One of the comments from "His Warrior-Meister" says that it was on the ground or something due to a drill.

Blob
08-10-09, 20:51
About the drop free question:

Depends on the lower. Before going out and buying 50 of them, get one to test in YOUR lower receiver. They drop free just fine out of my DPMS, but they are so tight in my Superior Arms lower that they will hardly go in.

Other than that, they are freaking amazing mags. I ran one over with my buddy's Blazer on gravel one time just to see if it was true. It got scraped up a bit but it still functions 100%. I was astounded.

Kentucky Cop
08-10-09, 20:56
Attention: thread derailment coming......sorry. :D
I too own several P mags also. I cant say anything about them that hasnt already been said above. Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Lancer L5 mag? Is it worth my hard earned 18 pesos to see how it stands up to Pmags?

Kentucky Cop
08-10-09, 21:00
Attention: thread derailment coming......sorry. :D
I too own several P mags also. I cant say anything about them that hasnt already been said above. Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Lancer L5 mag? Is it worth my hard earned 18 pesos to see how it stands up to Pmags?

Just an after thought! I was pissed about going to the range with 10 PMAGS and coming home with 8. Damn cops! :p anywho, I read about using a paint pen to make them more identifiable and what do you know. I found my MIA mag in a buddy's front seat of his cruiser........best $4 dollars I spent!

Ky cop

landrvrnut22
08-10-09, 22:46
Since we are on the subject, I thought someone here posted a torture test of a pmag. Ripped most of the feed lip off, dropped, kicked, drug behind a truck, then shot at. Anyone have a link or remember this, trying to find it to send to a friend.

RojasTKD
08-10-09, 23:12
Pmags are the way to go.

The other day I picked up one of my aluminum mags and it felt like toy... a rattley toy.

When I'm not so poor I plan to get at least 20 more.

Shotdown
08-11-09, 01:01
Love the Pmags. I have only one metal mag, one Lancer mag, and the rest are Pmags.

M4Fundi
08-11-09, 03:53
I am looking for some 30 round mags that are a good bang for the buck. I've seen several videos depicting these things. I saw this one and it blew my hat in the creek. Is this truth or hype?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAUFHEJFf-E

I watched this video (by Tactical Response) and was shocked that anyone would admit that they had PMag accidently shot during their AK Training course. I guess the photographer was wearing an M4 with PMags:p I hope it wasn't in a Chest Rig:eek:

ronnie77
08-11-09, 09:13
I don't know if it is just me, but some of my P-Mags don't fall freely from my lowers.
I love the P-mags and I have ton of them, but that really bothers me.
Other than that, I have no problems with them.

Lancer mags are a little more, but they work great too.

Thomas M-4
08-11-09, 09:31
I don't know if it is just me, but some of my P-Mags don't fall freely from my lowers.

Have you tried sanding them?none windowed p-mags have to be sanded just a tiny bit for them to drop free on my LMT lower the windowed P-mags drop free from my LMT with no sanding .

Ridge_Runner_5
08-11-09, 09:55
I've got 5 Pmags, 2 Lancer mags and 2 AR-stoner aluminum mags. They are all good, but the Pmag is definately the easiest to load on a closed bolt.

dirksterg30
08-11-09, 12:25

If memory serves, Magpul made a revision of the PMAG with slightly different outside dimensions, to accommodate lowers with out-of-spec magwells: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=155624

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=170183

From the last post on pg. 2 of the AR15.com link, posted by Magpul's Justin Beard:

The thinner ribs are the cause for the m-rev's lighter weight but not only do they make the PMAG more compatible with a wider array of pouches and mag-couplers they also help make the magazine even stronger, believe it or not.

crhoades
08-11-09, 12:35
I had 8 PMAGS that were new and would not drop free from my LMT lower. Called Magpul and they exchanged them for me with their new model. They all drop free now.

Before I would sand them, I would call them.

Great customer service for a great product.

Ridge_Runner_5
08-11-09, 12:53
Yeah, the new model is a fair bit thinner...I didnt like it at first, I preferred the gripping surface on the old Pmags...handling one in person, though...still grippy, but thinner, so it can fit in more magwells as well as mag pouches.

Spoon
08-11-09, 19:31
IMO one of the best mags period. I also like my gi mags with Magpul followers and ranger plates. Im just a magpul fanboy :D

RogerinTPA
08-11-09, 21:52
They are probably the best evolution of the AR mag to date. I own a crap load, but also have lots of D&H aluminum mags with Magpul followers as well.

Robb Jensen
08-11-09, 21:58
Just over 50K rounds through 150 PMAGs. 2 have given me problems......

M4Fundi
08-12-09, 00:05
GotM4 have you worn out a PMag? If so do you feel they have an estimable round count life?

ghost762
08-12-09, 01:23
I have two 20 round pmags and live them.

Rider79
08-12-09, 06:48

I wondered how many posts it would take for this to come up. :D

I thought the same thing as soon as he said it had been shot.

ronnie77
08-12-09, 09:00
Have you tried sanding them?none windowed p-mags have to be sanded just a tiny bit for them to drop free on my LMT lower the windowed P-mags drop free from my LMT with no sanding .

I did sand one of them and it worked....
Some drop free and others do not.
I have this problem in my RRA AR lowers, some in my 6920 and in my SCAR.
But never had the problem in my SIG556 or DPMS AP4.

Alex F
08-12-09, 11:27
My only regret with my Pmags is not buying black ones.

They've been utterly reliable.

sjohnny
08-12-09, 16:15

I was wondering/thinking the same thing.

I was also wondering why the guy doing the testing was wearing his grandmother's shawl.

bkb0000
08-12-09, 17:28
I was wondering/thinking the same thing.

I was also wondering why the guy doing the testing was wearing his grandmother's shawl.

never dropped a mag downrange?

the rag's hajji camo.

motoman
08-12-09, 18:59
mine all drop free and they are the best mags i have tried so far.

tpe187
08-12-09, 22:01
Here is a fairly indepth review I did from a military perspective. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8735

I've tried most of the mags out to include the Tango down ARC mag and the Lancer L5. Hands down its the PMAG. I have several issues with the others.

Robb Jensen
08-12-09, 22:20
GotM4 have you worn out a PMag? If so do you feel they have an estimable round count life?

At a very minimum 5K per mag. Don't fall in love with your mags, they are disposable just like springs and other parts in your gun. They wear out, replace them as preventative maintenance or when they fail you.

Jay Cunningham
08-12-09, 22:22
Don't fall in love with your mags, they are disposable just like springs and other parts in your gun. They wear out, replace them as preventative maintenance or when they fail you.

Wisdom!