PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Practice and Shotshell Carriage

IrishDevil
08-10-09, 21:51
I really enjoy shooting 3-Gun, and have to say the shotgun element is my favorite part. I guess it's the fact that the shotgun requires different manipulations and tactics than the handgun or rifle.

I'm currently using a Benelli SuperNova w/ a 24" barrel and Nordic +5 extension. I haven't really been bitten by the semi auto bug yet, but I'll probably go with a FN if/when I do.

I'm currently practicing weak hand reloads, 4 rds at a time from CCW strippers. I've been doing my practice sessions every other day, approx. 20-30 4 round reloads per session. My best 8 rd reload(2 4rd reloads) so far is 6.1 seconds.

Next on my list is to practice reloads from an arm band, used in place of a sidesaddle, since no acceptable sidesaddle solutions exist for the Nova.

My current load out for shotgun is (3) 4rd strippers, (2) 6rd strippers, and (2) of the 2rd Safariland carriers for slugs. Most likely I'll be adding the arm band once I've gotten some practice in with it.

As far as range time with the shotgun, I mainly practice reloads while moving. Example: Fire once, reload 8 rds, fire once more. Usually I use 2 steel plates as the targets. The other only other range time I put in with the shotgun is slugs at 50 to 100 yards.

So, what I'm wondering is: What's your regimen for shotgun practice and what are you using to haul your shells?