PDA

View Full Version : Organize Your Man Cave...

SteyrAUG
08-11-09, 00:24
Now if you are like me you have "gun stuff" everywhere. Slings, bayonets, scopes, rings, mounts and hundreds of other things that accessorize your various rifles. Ammo cans of a single caliber or mixed lots, not to mention those odd boxes of ammo in various calibers that you don't have in quantity to justify it's own ammo can.

And magazines. Most of us have boxes (or ammo cans) of magazines - some full, some not. But no matter how well packed into boxes or crates we still end up with....extras. And let's not forget the emergency zombie supply which needs to be instantly accessible.

And it all piles up. It piles up first on the shelves of your gun safe. This of course means things like handguns and scopes need to find homes in bathroom cabinets and the living room. Then it begins to accumulate on top of the safe. Just the important stuff - you know stuff you might need to grab right away in an emergency. Yep only important stuff is going on top of the safe.....at first.

Well the next thing you know your home looks like an Army/Navy Surplus store that was stocked by blind midgets. Boxes and boxes of stuff on the floor isn't so bad so long as you can still see the floor and walk between the boxes...right?

Well for about $40 worth of 2x4s you can get the gun stuff out of the bathroom, kitchen, living room, etc. (except for the important emergency stuff that belongs there) and you can even clear out most of the odds and ends on top of your safe. I even reclaimed a couple shelves IN my safe and was able to get some more handguns and valuables in there.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6951/00000000239.jpg

It's a pretty easy design to copy. Basically you are gonna take (8) 2x4s and make a ladder the width of three 2x4s. The two center one s are gonna be laddered on both sides at the top and for the bottom three shelves, that is IF you want a window cutout like I did.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7241/00000000241.jpg

These ladder rungs act as your supports for the horizontal shelves which you will cut to whatever length best suits your needs.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5912/00000000242.jpg

The horizontal shelf sections are then secured from the outside of the vertical 2x4s with screws. When securing the top section and bottom three sections alternate securing the horizontal shelves from the outside of the vertical 2x4s and simply secure the other shelves from the top to the ladder rung. This way the entire unit is screwed together.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8517/00000000243.jpg

When you get above the bottom three shelves, each shelf is then secured from the outside except for the center section. The center horizontal section is drilled from the top into the ladder rung support.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/161/00000000245.jpg

When completed fill shelves with stuff.

Remember ammo cans and heavy stuff goes on the bottom to provide stability. This is especially important if you aren't going to anchor the shelves to the wall.

SWATcop556
08-11-09, 00:33
Building it is the easy part...........convincing the wife I need to do somehing like that is the hard part.

Very nice setup!

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-11-09, 00:48
Are those Playboy Magazines????

If I put 2x4 shelving in one of our rooms my wife would use one of those 2x4s on me.

Mac5.56
08-11-09, 00:49
I just had this funny thought of your neighbor stopping over not to borrow a cup of sugar, but rather a loaded magazine, and few spare (insert caliber here) rounds...

I think you almost have more magazines then I have books!

thedog
08-11-09, 00:50
Bar the windows, with interior escape. Don't kill a fireman!!! Extra strength lock the door, and never allow "kids" in there. Even if they are your adult relatives. Key word, KIDS.

dog

Blankwaffe
08-11-09, 03:34
Bar the windows, with interior escape. Don't kill a fireman!!! Extra strength lock the door, and never allow "kids" in there. Even if they are your adult relatives. Key word, KIDS.

dog

Yeap...
I did the whole "gun store" display thing for awhile when I was younger.Then it came to me in a vision that "out of sight,out of mind" might be a better policy as my collection increased.
Not to mention the dust issue and evironmentals in the open environment.
Locked cabinets and hidden lockers are my preferred storage method nowadays.
I'd also consider keeping the storage ammo on inside walls with a two inch air gap off the wall,and especially away from windows and doors...helps with temp swings.

Quib
08-11-09, 06:00
Yeap...
Locked cabinets and hidden lockers are my preferred storage method nowadays.

Call me paranoid, but this is how I think as well.

R/Tdrvr
08-11-09, 07:55

Wouldn't be a man cave without some kind of "whack stack". Video or magazine, it doesn't matter. :D

Business_Casual
08-11-09, 08:08
You only have 6,480 rounds of 5,45 ammo? ;)

M_P

larry0071
08-11-09, 08:43
I bet you have $20,000 in ammo/mags/accessories. You need a cheaper hobby! My wife thinks I'm out of my mind for my few thousand rounds of ammo and 15 Pmags. I have got to show her this, maybe she will complain a bit less at my comparably small investment!

Honu
08-11-09, 10:19
another call me paranoid :)

but out of site out of mind
someone breaks into my place I am going to make it hard on them :)

I would rather not have it displayed ? but that is me :)

nice collection of stuff

panzerr
08-11-09, 10:26
That's a whole lot of blammo!

You should consider putting a solid wood door with dead-bolt or even a steel exterior door on your man room. Or possibly one of those cool slidey doors they have on the Star Trek.

SteyrAUG
08-11-09, 11:02

If I put 2x4 shelving in one of our rooms my wife would use one of those 2x4s on me.

Yes, I have a collection starting with the original.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8093/00000000102.jpg

And really it doesn't make sense to make nice shelves and then throw ammo cans and such on them. 2x4s is the proper look for the ammo needs of a man cave.

You can always paint if it's going to be an issue.

SteyrAUG
08-11-09, 11:07
I bet you have $20,000 in ammo/mags/accessories. You need a cheaper hobby! My wife thinks I'm out of my mind for my few thousand rounds of ammo and 15 Pmags. I have got to show her this, maybe she will complain a bit less at my comparably small investment!

That is not my primary ammo/magazine stash. Those are my odds n ends and emergency zombie/looter supply. I have a couple lockers devoted exclusively to ammo and mags.

Rider79
08-11-09, 11:36
I'm impressed. I never thought of the 2x4 idea, I've been using snap together rubbermaid type shelves which don't hold a hell of a lot of weight. I wish my father was out here, he'd have something like that put together in a day, he's the handyman type, not me.

Mac5.56
08-11-09, 11:45
That is not my primary ammo/magazine stash. Those are my odds n ends and emergency zombie/looter supply. I have a couple lockers devoted exclusively to ammo and mags.

Jesus what do you do for a living? You don't have to answer that but I am assuming that if that that if that playboy collection is complete it too is probably worth the same amount as your gun stuff!

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-11-09, 11:46
If someone broke into your house I don't know if they would be estatic at the haul, or worried as crap that they broke into the wrong persons house. I'm not complaining about the shelves, I wish they had 2x4 trees, I'm just in awe with the ruggedness and simplicity- two things my wife doesn't value.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-11-09, 11:50
Jesus what do you do for a living? You don't have to answer that but I am assuming that if that that if that playboy collection is complete it too is probably worth the same amount as your gun stuff!

Unfortunately on the third wall he has his match collection. With that kind of stashes people are going to be looking at the time stamp embeded in the picture and the shadows thru the window and try to figure out your lat and long.

uranus
08-11-09, 12:08
....... deleted

SteyrAUG
08-11-09, 12:14
If someone broke into your house I don't know if they would be estatic at the haul, or worried as crap that they broke into the wrong persons house. I'm not complaining about the shelves, I wish they had 2x4 trees, I'm just in awe with the ruggedness and simplicity- two things my wife doesn't value.

Hell I used to put DVD players on the front porch trying to bait them in.

:D

Breaking into my house would be an incredibly bad idea for all kinds of different reasons. I have some nice stuff, but nothing is worth the effort that would be needed or the outcome that would occur.

SteyrAUG
08-11-09, 12:18

I sell human organs on ebay.

Supply is getting low...do you guys really think someone might try and rob me this week?

Mac5.56
08-11-09, 12:37
I figured it was something like that!!! How much does a rare blood type kidney go for these days, and do you set a reserve? I was thinking of stocking up...:D

08-11-09, 12:53
I would be worried having that stash visible would encourage a break-in. Not sure baiting is a good idea.

SteyrAUG
08-11-09, 13:22
I would be worried having that stash visible would encourage a break-in. Not sure baiting is a good idea.

Well unless somebody owns X Ray visions glasses the stuff is NOT visible and they would have needed to order those from comic books 20 years ago.

And for the humor impaired, the baiting comment was a joke.

I think some of you guys are perhaps a tad too paranoid.

SteyrAUG
08-11-09, 13:24
I figured it was something like that!!! How much does a rare blood type kidney go for these days, and do you set a reserve? I was thinking of stocking up...:D

Tell ya what, we go half way each on a plasma screen TV and put it on the front porch and wait in the bushes. We should be able to do a couple igloo coolers full of kidneys within a week.

noctis
08-11-09, 14:42
Thanks for the pics, you reminded me I need to reorganize things.

00leland00
08-11-09, 18:42
Nice set up.

Umm.... Can I have some mags? :D

08-11-09, 19:00
If I mistook your "humor," I apologize. My post was in no way mean-spirited or negative. But, isn't that a window behind your shelving? I think that an open shade window qualifies as visible. Calling posters paranoid and humorless...classless.

m4fun
08-11-09, 19:49
Very nice and simple - I went the expensive "bakers" rack route - you know, the wire racks. I actually keep the ammo in a separate room(storage) that is more utility storage than anything else - works well.

SteyrAUG
08-11-09, 23:56
If I mistook your "humor," I apologize. My post was in no way mean-spirited or negative. But, isn't that a window behind your shelving? I think that an open shade window qualifies as visible. Calling posters paranoid and humorless...classless.

Well I didn't call anyone anything, I suggested "some" were "perhaps a tad."

Here is my exact statement verbatim.

"I think some of you guys are perhaps a tad too paranoid."

I don't think that even qualifies as name calling, let alone the "classless" variety. It is more of an opinion. Now I did make a comment about the "humor impaired" and I find it kinda ironic that a joke about not being able to recognize a joke is being made into an issue. And it certainly doesn't come close to some of the crap I received when I first arrived.

As for "being visible" if you stand outside that window you see your reflection as the only time the blinds are open is during the day if I happen to be IN the room. Also that means you are standing in my neighbors back yard in which case you will be far too busy meeting his doggie to look at your reflection in the window.

Now with respect to the neighbor himself, during hurricane season he's quite used to the fact that we are running around with MP5s and AR's so even if he could see in the window it wouldn't be anything he didn't already know about.

And finally even if I did have the blinds open at night all you would see is the shelving frame around the window and the back of a green footlocker. Nothing in the shelves is actually visible from that vantage point. They would however see a nearly complete Playboy collection.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-12-09, 00:31
I think some of you guys are perhaps a tad too paranoid.

Have you been talking to my wife or my mother????? ;)

I don't think that anyone is taking a dig at you. That is a lot of nice stuff, and for those of us that have lived in neighborhoods where a stockpile is more of a target than a deterent, I think most of the comments come from concern.

Mac5.56
08-12-09, 00:52
Tell ya what, we go half way each on a plasma screen TV and put it on the front porch and wait in the bushes. We should be able to do a couple igloo coolers full of kidneys within a week.

Can we! CAN WE! This sounds like fun!!! Plus the profit!

SteyrAUG
08-12-09, 02:19
Have you been talking to my wife or my mother????? ;)

I don't think that anyone is taking a dig at you. That is a lot of nice stuff, and for those of us that have lived in neighborhoods where a stockpile is more of a target than a deterent, I think most of the comments come from concern.

And by the same token, the suggestion that some of you guys might be overly concerned wasn't meant as a dig either.

Firstly the contents of the room are completely non visible from outside the house. Second the notion that people are gonna track me down for my ammo/magazine stash is not one to be taken seriously. There are a lot of houses with far more portable valuables that aren't designed to kill home invaders.

As a group we tend to take personal security and safety a bit more seriously than others. The problem is if you are constantly on the lookout for boogeymen sometimes you see them when they aren't really there.

A lot of people have seen my stuff. I'm pretty well known for having a significant collection. And such things being generally known works both ways, one group it deters and another group it attracts. So with respect to the latter you simply have to be more trouble than it's worth, and I have taken a lot of steps in that direction. Like I said, there are easier houses with more valuable portables.

montanadave
08-12-09, 08:23
An additional thought in the "am I being paranoid enough?" department.

My brother is somewhat of a computer geek and used to spend a lot of time on various computer and IT forums. Among that demographic, it apparently was not uncommon for people who knew somebody who knew a guy (you get the idea) to determine an individual's IP address and, subsequently, their internet provider billing information with address, etc. According to my brother, many on these sights would use proxy servers to avoid this issue.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the issue has been raised regarding the security of posting photos of one's firearms, collections and other valuables. I have always been a little reticent to post pictures of my firearms for the reasons stated above. Anyone else share those concerns, use proxies, etc.?

MAUSER202
08-12-09, 19:08
An additional thought in the "am I being paranoid enough?" department.

My brother is somewhat of a computer geek and used to spend a lot of time on various computer and IT forums. Among that demographic, it apparently was not uncommon for people who knew somebody who knew a guy (you get the idea) to determine an individual's IP address and, subsequently, their internet provider billing information with address, etc. According to my brother, many on these sights would use proxy servers to avoid this issue.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the issue has been raised regarding the security of posting photos of one's firearms, collections and other valuables. I have always been a little reticent to post pictures of my firearms for the reasons stated above. Anyone else share those concerns, use proxies, etc.?

Exactly, that is why I have my tin foil hat on as I type this...you cant be to careful:D
But living in a big city in a so so neihborhood I know what you mean. I told my neihbor ( that dosnt work) that my discreat 34" case cor my AR had my key board in it, as in musical. I tell very few friends what is actually in the safe and even fewer see whats in it.

mark5pt56
08-12-09, 19:19
keep it on track, he gave a great idea on a shelf system-learn from it

Outlander Systems
08-12-09, 19:30
Steyr: Awesome post.

My "man cave" aka "The Office" is a disaster. My LBVs are piled on the floor, my mags are scattered everywhere, my carbines are stacked on each other, my shotgun is...somewhere :confused: .

I'm looking around as I type this, and it's inexcusable. I see an unused MIAD laying next to the closet, an open toolbox, a ziplock bag filled with XTM rail panels, an empty pelican case, a shotgun cleaning kit, one nomex glove and one kevlar glove, both right handed, a loose set of M4 handguards in the corner, a multitool, a can of Rem Oil, and one Jetboil fuel can. Empty mags and ear pro are stacked on top of the bookcase. And that's just what's visible.

I desperately need some sort of organization of the man cave. It's nothing short of a disgrace. My problem is quite simply a lack of furniture/storage capability. Stuffing it in the closet doesn't solve the problem, either.

This thread has motivated me to get my shit together.

Thanks, amigo.

-Mike

Artos
08-12-09, 20:12
Steyr: Awesome post.

My "man cave" aka "The Office" is a disaster. My LBVs are piled on the floor, my mags are scattered everywhere, my carbines are stacked on each other, my shotgun is...somewhere :confused: .

I'm looking around as I type this, and it's inexcusable. I see an unused MIAD laying next to the closet, an open toolbox, a ziplock bag filled with XTM rail panels, an empty pelican case, a shotgun cleaning kit, one nomex glove and one kevlar glove, both right handed, a loose set of M4 handguards in the corner, a multitool, a can of Rem Oil, and one Jetboil fuel can. Empty mags and ear pro are stacked on top of the bookcase. And that's just what's visible.

I desperately need some sort of organization of the man cave. It's nothing short of a disgrace. My problem is quite simply a lack of furniture/storage capability. Stuffing it in the closet doesn't solve the problem, either.

This thread has motivated me to get my shit together.

Thanks, amigo.

-Mike

I lost my man cave when my daughter was born....now have everything in the master & Lucky to still be married. I simply need an addition of current residence or a move.

CR@P!!!