PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad and then the Ugly.

PA PATRIOT
08-12-09, 11:50
Strange title for a thread but heres the reason,

The Good,
For the first time in 20 years as a LEO I have finally been issued duty ammunition which was not from the lowest bidder and made DOCGKR's list of recommended duty loads. The Federal Tactical 230gr HST H/P.

The Bad,
My trusted duty gun a Glock Model-17 9mm which I have carried for 19 years had to be retired due to a frame failure. This Model-17 has been perfect never having a failure which was not ammunition induced in over 50,000 recorded rounds. The pistol was manufactured September of 1988 and was purchased "USED" by me in August of 1990. This pistol saved my bacon four times during those 19 years and it was a shame that she had to be retired.

The Ugly,
With the good comes the Ugly, most here expressed misgivings on the Glock Model-22 & Model-21SF for duty use. My replacement duty gun was a choice of a Department owned Multi re-issued battered Glock Model-17 in which my 19 year old retired Glock Model-17 pistol looked like a spring chicken (No more private owned Glock Model-17's allowed once the original private owned is decommissioned so only Department issued Model-17's are allowed) or a "New" private owned Model-22 or 21SF.

My Low Tech Testing
Since I own both a new Glock Model-22 and a 21SF (Got both at a great deal) I decided to run 100rds a range trip until a total of 1000rds for each pistol were fired spaced out over the last 60 days to see if a function issue would occur. Ammo was Speer .45acp 230gr TMJ and Speer .40S&W 165gr TMJ. Both guns ran like champs with only one failure to feed with the Model-21SF in which a older magazine used in a very dirty pistol caused the bullet to stopped on the feed ramp were a simple tap on the rear of the slide chambered the round. I also fired for accuracy the issued duty loads which are both Federal Tactical HST H/P's at 25 yards from a supported rest (Pass/Fail 50rds must score centered head shot on a B-27 target). And to finish up I was timed with both pistols for pairs and triples at seven yards were speed and accuracy were recorded.

End Result
The Glock Model-21SF was the clear winner in terms of accuracy (Slow Fire Bench at 25yds with duty ammo) and accuracy with pairs and triples. Speed/Time wise those pairs and triples were almost identical between the .40S&W and ,45acp but I had greater control and accuracy with the .45acp. Since my only other option to the .40S&W and .45acp was a department owned Multi reissued battered Glock Model-17 were the issued duty load is the out dated Federal Classic 9mm 115gr standard pressure H/P (9BP) I decided on the following pistol. I selected the Glock Model-21SF for its better handling and accuracy, the better duty ammunition and that the pistol is brand new.

Question
This has been covered lightly without any solid remedy from owners or armorers so I will ask it again. What is the problem with a Glock Model-21SF .45acp, what failures occur and what remedy is there to correct it. Most say it is a simple preemptive measure to just replace the recoil spring and magazine springs every 2000rds and to fire good quality ammunition. True, false or INTERNET rumor?

My new duty Glock Model-21SF has been detail striped and cleaned with a new recoil rod and magazine springs installed which I will re-do after every 1500rds to ensure proper function unless a better maintenance plan can be offered.

Anyway I really want to hear from the forum experts so let the discussion begin.

DocGKR
08-12-09, 16:42
If I was in your situation, I'd probably do exactly what you have done.

MisterWilson
08-12-09, 16:59
While I don't consider myself an expert by any means, I seem to recall having heard about some recall issue with the trigger bar on a number of G21SF's.

I don't remember the exact problems involved exactly, but perhaps it can jog someone else's memory loose, or may warrant a call to Glock directly to probe for details.

DocGKR
08-12-09, 17:45
LAPD...

PA PATRIOT
08-12-09, 23:14
Link to the LAPD recall which is dated November 2005,

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/nov/26/local/me-guns26

My Glock Model-21SF was manufactured in March 2009 so she should not be affected by past recalls.

crenca
08-13-09, 19:10
There have been several marathon threads over at GlockTalk over the sf “failure to return to battery” issue. My reading is that most folks solve their issues with aftermarket trigger bars (or Glock replacements) or end up sending their gun back to Glock...

I read a commentary in a gun magazine the other day (can’t remember which one). The author thought that 40 is prone to a bad pressure spike early in the ignition phase, which he thought caused the accuracy issues that the seems prone to. I know my Glock22 can have an abnormally high number of “flyers”, particularly with cheap ammo.

IF this is the case, this seems to be an ammo manufacturing issue that could be overcome with the right powder, etc. Anyone else have any comment on this?

PA PATRIOT
08-15-09, 20:59
I had a chance to talk to someone at Glock about the untimely end of my decommissioned duty Model-17 which had the frame failure (Crack at the frame pin). I was told if I mailed her back there would be a good chance they would fit a new generation frame and give the old girl a make over free of charge.

Edited to add that I will be shipping the Model-17 out for the repairs, it Glock holds true to the "NO Charge" for a 19 year old duty gun thats some serious warranty/customer service care.

DocGKR
08-16-09, 02:12
Uh...no brainer--get a new frame and keep using it.

cathellsk
08-16-09, 16:57
Uh...no brainer--get a new frame and keep using it.

I definitely agree! I sent my old 2nd gen. G19 and two older G20s back for an "overhaul". I didn't get new night sights (can do that myself) or a refinish (I prefer the older parkerized looking finish over the newer "shiny" finish which they couldn't promise I'd get). They did an excellent job, detailing on the invoice what parts they replaced/upgraded. Best part, except for shipping to them, it was free. Got a bunch of Glock flair back in the box with it also. Oh, and send your mags with it, they'll upgrade/replace them as needed.
And come on, 19 yrs together on the job is a long time. You have to give your old 17 this upgrade. :)

CoryCop25
08-16-09, 20:38
I attended a Glock armorer's school in May. The only negative about the 21SF was the ambi mag release. Too many little parts in the release to break at the wrong time. They cam be re-fitted with standard mag releases. I like the re-build the old trusty G17 idea too.

PA PATRIOT
08-17-09, 23:43
CoryCop25,

My new G-21SF has the standard single magazine release with the Glock standard rail. I will not be hanging any lights off her as I have heard that doing so can cause function problems. I also attended a advanced Glock Armors course and I could not get the instructors to really talk about issues any police departments were having with the Glock .45acps, they were very tight lipped.

CoryCop25
08-18-09, 00:18
Good deal on the mag release then. I asked a question in my class about the two guns from a state police agency that had exploded and all they said was that they were poorly taken care of. FWIW, the light issue was for the smaller framed guns with weak mag springs and the lights that were causing problems were the 3 cell ones that were quite heavy. Your gun would be fine with a light. I carry mine with the light attached and have never had a malfunction.

PA PATRIOT
08-18-09, 12:54
If I decide to go with a gun mounted light for very limited situations, I would have to fire at lease a 1000rds with the light attached to assure function. I have seen and heard many pro's and con's about weapon mounted lights and the jury is this out with me on the issue.

CoryCop25
08-18-09, 20:02
We got G22s in January of 2007 and I have had an M-3 on it from the start. I made sure that I had the proper amount of coils on the mag springs and have about 2500 stoppage free rounds through it. Wish I could shoot more but budget gets in the way real quick.