PDA

View Full Version : AK USA 4.5" muzzle comp?'s

Terry
08-12-09, 12:38
Anybody use the AK USA 4.5" comp on an Arsenal 107 CR?
I want to put some kind of FH/comp on it, and it is one option I was considering.
The other is a flash hider on the end of the bbl, but I have no idea what would fit the bbl diameter.
I emailed and called Chris at AK USA and haven't been able to contact him yet. Has anyone been able to contact him lately?
If I buy the long comp, anybody know how much of the bbl I need to cut off?
I live in MI and I don't have SBR as an option.
Thanks, Terry.

TriumphRat675
08-12-09, 17:14
Chris will get back to you but it may take a few days; I talked with him recently.

Most if not all of his comps have 24x1.5mm threads, so you'll have to cut the barrel all the way back to the thread on the gas block, which should give you a barrel length of about 12". Presumably he'll permanently attach the comp, making you legal.

To just stick a flash hider on the end of the barrel any flash hider designed for a 7.62mm should do but you will have to get the threads cut into the barrel. look at the individual flash hider to see what type of thread it uses. IMHO that will look goofy, so go with your first idea and use Chris. His comps are very nicely made.

If you are just looking for something to cover up the barrel I have the OEM false flash hider that came with mine; PM me if you don't have one and want it.

Terry
08-12-09, 19:58
Thank you for the offer, but I think I'll just wait to hear from Chris.
I'm having Customized Creations do the work, he did the transfer for me and is close to home.
Todd at CC told me the bbl diameter is to small for just about all the FH's I looked at, so as soon as I can, I am going to order the 4.5 comp from AK USA.
He offered to make me one, but I'll probably just wait to hear from Chris.
I PM'd you about how much the comp from AK USA is.
Terry

Spooky130
08-13-09, 15:32
What is the purpose of this? Are you looking at aesthetics or do you want the functionality of a flash hider/compensator?

If you want the looks go with the K-Var slip on hider. It will thread on right over the barrel leaving your barrel at 16" but not "naked" like it is now.

I have one of Chris' hiders on a Saiga he chopped down. It looks good but is more like a cross between a standard 74 comp and a Krink booster. It has the expansion chamber like the 74 and a bell opening at the end like a Krink. It doesn't really hide the flash or reduce the blast.

Spooky

Terry
08-14-09, 03:24
both.

eternal24k
08-15-09, 21:01
Also interested

Spooky130
08-16-09, 15:02
both.

If I were in your shoes I would go with the K-Var version...

Here are my thoughts:
1) It would be the cheapest route by far
2) You can't SBR in MI so there is no point in chopping the barrel only to add a long booster/comp/hider device
3) You get better muzzle velocity with a 16" v. 12ish" barrel - you have to have 16" so you might as well get the velocity too
4) The K-Var slip on looks good

Too bad they are out of stock: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16981&cat=286&page=1

Spooky

Terry
08-19-09, 16:53
At the end of the day, I just want to have it MI legal until my youngest graduates HS.
I hope AK USA's is effective, but even if it's not, it will have to do.
Thank you all for the help, Terry.

Al U. 5811
08-26-09, 08:46
I have an SLR105 that he converted to a legal AK105 lookalike with one of his comps. It's just like the standard AK74 comp just longer and perm attached. Recoil impulse is the same as the standard comp as well. He is indeed a tough guy to get ahold of, but very easy to talk with and deal.

Terry
08-29-09, 09:54
I got ahold of Chris @ AK USA and ordered the 4.5" comp.
Todd @ CC recieved it a day or so ago and it I'll pick it up sometime next weekend.
After I put a couple hundred rds through, I'll report back.
Thanks again for all the help.
Terry.

Spooky130
08-29-09, 11:01
As I said, I've got a couple of these... They both held up except the finish on one where I got it really hot! They are mostly for non-SBR compliance until I can get them SBR'd and chopped.

Spooky

Terry
08-31-09, 16:36
My gunsmith said the color match was off, said he'd match it to the rifle.
Chris said it's a very effective MB.