PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Micro OEM mount

CarlosDJackal
08-13-09, 14:23
I was wondering if anyone knows if the mount that come with the Aimpoint Micro (T-1/H-1/R-1) are set to absolute co-witness on an Ar-15? TIA!

JLSKIP
08-13-09, 15:16
I don't have mine in front of me, but I would have to say that I'm 99% sure the oem mount would NOT be absolute co-witness. I believe you could get absolute if you used the Larue HK mount. What are you using for your front sight?

CarlosDJackal
08-13-09, 15:27
I don't have mine in front of me, but I would have to say that I'm 99% sure the oem mount would NOT be absolute co-witness. I believe you could get absolute if you used the Larue HK mount. What are you using for your front sight?

Not according to the Larue rep I'm communicating with. He said that the HK mount will put the dot slightly lower than the front sight.

JLSKIP
08-13-09, 15:34
In that case I can be 100% sure the oem mount that comes with the t-1 would put it well below the center of your iron sights.

The Aimpoint manual says: "Height of optical axis = 18 mm (0.7”) over top surface of
Picatinny/Weaver Rail"

CarlosDJackal
08-13-09, 15:37
Damn. I guess I'll have to try a different maker's mount. Any suggestions?

JLSKIP
08-13-09, 15:52
Information I found on www.militarymorons.com says that 1.535" from rail to center of optic is proper absolute co-witness.

If you scroll down to the Larue T-1 mounts, it has some good information, but does not suggest a mount to use for absolute co-witness.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics.html#t1

I originally wanted absolute co-witness with my newest middy build. I ordered the H-1 with the short ADM mount, which I though was absolute co-witness. Once I got it assembled, it appears to be lower than absolute, so maybe it is lower 1/3.

Either way, I am quite happy with the way it is. I am using a factory front sight block, and I think that if the center of my optic were any lower, that the front sight would take up too much of the field of view. If you are using a flip up for the front, then I guess it would be a non issue.

JLSKIP
08-13-09, 16:02
According to ADM's website, the T1CO riser is absolute co-witness. That is what I have. You will also need the base mount which I think is the AD-B2.

JLSKIP
08-13-09, 22:05
For anyone that is interested, this is a composite of 3 pictures to show how the T-1/H-1/R-1 on the ADM CO Mount looks. The camera was in the same place for all 3 shots, I just adjusted the focus on each element; the optic, the front sight and the red dot.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nhPHd8sDdls/SoTPI-yAfvI/AAAAAAAAOH4/wMHtHDMUGN0/s800/Co-Witness%20Small.jpg

I guess it really is absolute co-witness.

Robb Jensen
08-13-09, 22:08
Damn. I guess I'll have to try a different maker's mount. Any suggestions?

I've used LaRue, ADM and Daniel Defense.

My favorite is the DD due to weight, QD is highly overated.

JLSKIP
08-13-09, 22:23
I'd love a DD absolute co-witness, but I have only seen the lower 1/3 co-witness model available for purchase.

BooneGA
08-14-09, 04:07
Why the desire for an absolute co witness?

Rick

Jay Cunningham
08-14-09, 04:16
The narrower tube of the Micro makes using it as a "ghost ring" more viable than the larger tubes... IMO. Looking at it in this manner, an absolute co-witness in conjunction with a Micro gives you a very good ability to make hits with a dead battery... easily out to 25 yards.

FWIW... while I also find the "QD" feature overused and overkill on many accessories out there, I'm still a big fan of it for the optical sight. Yes, you can see your irons if the dot just dies, but if the optic gets shot or catches shrapnel or otherwise gets broken or smashed, your irons won't really do you any good if you can't remove the broke optic.

Pro2AInPA
08-14-09, 06:03
The narrower tube of the Micro makes using it as a "ghost ring" more viable than the larger tubes... IMO. Looking at it in this manner, an absolute co-witness in conjunction with a Micro gives you a very good ability to make hits with a dead battery... easily out to 25 yards.

FWIW... while I also find the "QD" feature overused and overkill on many accessories out there, I'm still a big fan of it for the optical sight. Yes, you can see your irons if the dot just dies, but if the optic gets shot or catches shrapnel or otherwise gets broken or smashed, your irons won't really do you any good if you can't remove the broke optic.

That and the fact that some of us are new to the EBR world and only have one AR. It's nice to be able to swap optics for different shooting disciplines and not lose zero, hence the use of LaRue mounts.

CarlosDJackal
08-15-09, 08:50

Agreed. I have personally used the QD feature multiple times. I always remove the optics and most other accessories when I clean my primary carbine. I also remove the VFG when zeroing the rifle (when usng a sandbag or a rest). YMMV.

Victor
08-15-09, 11:13
I've used LaRue, ADM and Daniel Defense.

My favorite is the DD due to weight, QD is highly overated.

Once again I will HIGHLY disagree with your "overrated" comment. Maybe for you personally it is. But there are MANY to say the least who need a QD. Why not have it even though you might not need it at the present time....The day one does will pay dividends in the long run.

BooneGA
08-15-09, 14:46
Other than the ghost ring use, why sacrifice view of the target with an absolute co-witness?

I see many minuses and yet only one advantage that is minor at best.

Rick

Jay Cunningham
08-15-09, 16:52
Other than the ghost ring use, why sacrifice view of the target with an absolute co-witness?

I see many minuses and yet only one advantage that is minor at best.

Rick

Following your logic, why not completely fold down the sight out of the way and run optic only?

BooneGA
08-16-09, 00:43
Because it is not easily accessable. If it is in the lower 1/3rd you dont have to sacrifice as much field of view but retain the instant use of the BUIS capability.

Rick

TehLlama
08-16-09, 18:57
I'm insistent on absolute cowitness, so I have a pair of ADM mounts.
For a 3MOA dot setup, any deviation is pretty insignificant.

CarlosDJackal
08-17-09, 11:07

To each his own. Absolute co-witness allows you to use the optic as a ghost ring if you wish. But with a FSB I have found that too much of the available FOV is obscured.

I've decided to stick with the 1/3 co-witness and ordered another Larue High mount (LT-660). Thanks for all the responses.

BooneGA
08-17-09, 20:29

Why is that though? So far ive heard a total of one reason.

Im just trying to understand why it is desireable.

Rick

TehLlama
08-17-09, 23:21
Both me and my wife naturally use a really low, tight cheekweld. I've had lower 1/3 optics, and I end up trying to sight through the bottom metal housing at first.

I realize I'm in the minority - most understandably prefer that higher spot, especially for fixed BUIS, but it's a personal preference, and she can shoot lights out with that setup.

Unless you find yourself ever too low for a stock mounted TA31 (I do), lower 1/3 is going to be the preferred route, but for those like myself, absolute is what comes naturally.

BooneGA
08-18-09, 07:49
Thank you for your explanation. I would be interested to see your shooting stance.

Rick

CarlosDJackal
08-18-09, 11:38
I'm the opposite. I'm so used to the 1/3 co-witness that I found myself looking almost over the RDS when I tried the perfect co-witness. Although I suspect that I can train myself to adapt tot his.

But since my other ARs use the 1/3 co-witness, I figured that I should stick to what's been working. YMMV.

chadbag
08-18-09, 12:26
The Aimpoint micro spacer (I think the high one) is an absolute co-witness according to a conversation I had with Aimpoint.

(Yes, Aimpoint makes Micro "mounts" as spacers and an optional quick release lever add-on). And they are pretty low priced.

Chad

JLSKIP
08-18-09, 12:46
The Aimpoint micro spacer (I think the high one) is an absolute co-witness according to a conversation I had with Aimpoint.

(Yes, Aimpoint makes Micro "mounts" as spacers and an optional quick release lever add-on). And they are pretty low priced.

Chad

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Seriously though, are there pictures of this co-witness QD mount from Aimpoint anywhere?

chadbag
08-18-09, 13:08
Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Seriously though, are there pictures of this co-witness QD mount from Aimpoint anywhere?

I have them but at the moment don't have a good way of getting them uploaded. I will try and take some iPhone pics as that is my best chance of getting pics right now on my computer.

JLSKIP
08-18-09, 13:18
I have them but at the moment don't have a good way of getting them uploaded. I will try and take some iPhone pics as that is my best chance of getting pics right now on my computer.

No rush! I'm not in a hurry or anything. I'd just like to see this option.