PDA

View Full Version : And the Myths Just Keep on Commin'...

Jay Cunningham
08-13-09, 17:30
Twisting, Tumbling And Knocking Them Down (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20090812.aspx)

:(

eta: also referenced The Last “Big Lie” of Vietnam Kills U. S. Soldiers in Iraq (http://www.thebutter-cutter.com/Last_Big_Lie_Of_VNhtml.html)

:eek::rolleyes:

Ed L.
08-13-09, 20:00
I regularly read the Strategy page. Their info on small arms is often quite off, as reflected by the piece linked. That makes me wonder how accurate their other info is on topics that I don't know as much about.

LOKNLOD
08-13-09, 20:15
Arg. That article is just.....sad.

Leatherneck556
08-13-09, 20:28
Lol! They used the word "joules" so many times that they made it sounds like some type of mythical construct like midichlorians or something. "How many joules does your gun have? Oh wow!! That's three times as many as mine!" Or imagine some GI from WWII being like "Damn Uncle Sam only gives us this lousy .30-06 with 1200 less joules than the 7.92!"

I once told a close friend of mine (pre-med student) that many people used to think, and still believe, that calculating either energy or momentum will tell you how effective a bullet is. He belly laughed and asked me if people really think that. This is a guy who knows NOTHING about firearms, but because he knows physiology, was immediately able to detect the BS in that statement.

four
08-20-09, 13:02
Lol! They used the word "joules" so many times that they made it sounds like some type of mythical construct like midichlorians or something. "How many joules does your gun have? Oh wow!! That's three times as many as mine!" Or imagine some GI from WWII being like "Damn Uncle Sam only gives us this lousy .30-06 with 1200 less joules than the 7.92!"

At least he understands the principle behind a Joule (as in it's a measure of energy.)
His take on Cavitation doesn't even come close.

Cavitation is the formation of vapour bubbles of a flowing liquid in a region where the pressure of the liquid falls below its vapor pressure.

mark5pt56
08-21-09, 06:21
Not to start a caliber war, but to the uninformed, the .45 ACP isn't a magical bullet either.

Just didn't want some reading the article and getting the wrong "thoughts"

Littlelebowski
08-21-09, 08:12
Yep, one hit from that big .45 and you're dead :D Wait a minute.....it didn't kill me....

Glock17JHP
08-21-09, 13:33
It didn't kill you because it threw you through the air and you landed in a fluffy bush...

But wait 30 seconds for your body to bleed-out through that trashcan-sized exit wound on your back... then you WILL BE 'dead right there'...