PDA

View Full Version : What to buy, what to buy

lmmmmm
08-13-09, 21:10
I already have some high end Ar's. Scar / SR-15 E3 / Noveske 14.5

So, now Im looking at a basic, no frills and no upgrade AR.

Im boiling it down between 6920 vs DD XV vs BCM (from G&R)

These seem to be in the same price range $1100-1200 range.

Blob
08-13-09, 21:57
I voted for the BCM. :)

Texpatriate
08-13-09, 22:17
You can't go wrong with any of those options, but my personal preference is BCM so that was what I voted.

MichaelD
08-13-09, 22:58
I'm a complete n00b when it comes to ARs. However, when I buy I intend to go with a BCM middy, hence my vote.

Jay Cunningham
08-13-09, 23:04
I already have some high end Ar's. Scar / SR-15 E3 / Noveske 14.5

So, now Im looking at a basic, no frills and no upgrade AR.

Im boiling it down between 6920 vs DD XV vs BCM (from G&R)

These seem to be in the same price range $1100-1200 range.

Have you had any formal training yet?

SWATcop556
08-13-09, 23:52
Have you had any formal training yet?

This..............

I voted for the BCM though. Paul make some very tasty koolaid!! :cool:

lmmmmm
08-14-09, 00:41
no formal carbine training.

Jay Cunningham
08-14-09, 00:44
no formal carbine training.

Well then... I voted "other." :D Instead of spending all that scratch on a new toy, why not ensure that your ammo and mags are squared-away, and take a three day class from a professional instructor?

It will do you a helluva lot more good than one more boomstick...

bkb0000
08-14-09, 00:48
already owning a good-to-go carbine, training is the natural next step- a professional course will teach you things you didn't know you didn't know.

lmmmmm
08-14-09, 00:54
all good points. i plan on taking a bruce gray class next month in OR. but, if i do decide to unload my my current AR's and I just want to keep a basic AR which would you choose.

RancidSumo
08-14-09, 01:19
I wish I had waited to buy my AR for another month and bought the BCM middy at G&R. That is a smoking deal and I would snatch it up if you can and still go to a course.

As it is, buying my rifle in pieces, I still don't have a functioning rifle now that my brother is taking his charging handle.

CaptainDooley
08-14-09, 01:28
Instead of spending all that scratch on a new toy, why not ensure that your ammo and mags are squared-away, and take a three day class from a professional instructor?

It will do you a helluva lot more good than one more boomstick...

This.

With two solid carbines I'm in the same boat - I need to start spending money on training, not new toys...

However, were I to buy from your three choices... BCM all the way - it's as solid as the Colt and is a middy to boot.

rob_s
08-14-09, 05:05
Have to agree that three days on the range and 1k rounds out of the gun is a hell of a lot more value than one more lump of plastc, aluminum, and steel sitting in the safe.

I also think that, while perhaps counter-intuitive, training can save you money. If I had just gone and taken a class with a Colt 6920 with an Aimpoint and sling years ago that's probably all the gun that I would still have. I can honestly say that would have literally saved me thousands, if not tens-of-thousands, of dollars.

kaiservontexas
08-14-09, 10:57
I voted Colt.

txdukklr
08-14-09, 12:41
that bcm looks nice,

I have a bcm lower and upper with a noveske barrel and the workmanship is on par with my lmt.

i don't get in the business of telling people what they should spend your money on but sounds like you can afford the gun and the training and the 1000 rounds.

LonghunterCO
08-14-09, 12:49
Assuming you have the training, if not go to one with your money, I voted BCM. In a middy gas system.;)

number1olddog
08-14-09, 12:57
My opinion is LMT. Bought LMT 16'' upper from bravo company.(485) Lmt defender lower (325) Lmt S/A bcg from bravo company (130) MI handguards (150)=1090.

shadco
08-14-09, 15:15
Assuming you get the training and the question is simply about which boomstick, I would go with Grant's special. I like DD Stuff, I've modified my DDM4 with a middy setup. The middy configuration would be my choice if all else is equal. BCM makes good chit and Grant is a great guy to go with.

CobraBG
08-14-09, 15:42
I voted Colt.

...and so did I. My LE6920 is well made and has always worked well. :cool:

The training idea is a great one. That is what my next "big purchase" will be. :)

goodoleboy
08-14-09, 22:53
I love my 6920, I wouldn't limit it to a strictly no frills rifle though.

A-Bear680
08-16-09, 09:04
BCM from G & R. I like middies and the quality for the dollars ratio is almost unbelievable.

RojasTKD
08-16-09, 11:09
Another for the BCM middy. It would make a great addition to what you already have.

johnemckenzie
08-20-09, 15:23
I'm trading my AK tomorrow to buy my first AR. I intended to buy a DD XV. Now I'm not sure. I can't drop a lot of cash with trial and error AR buying so I need to get the most bang for my buck the first time.

Two questions-

1. What is a 'middy'?

2. I haven't found a thread for directing newbies on how to buy their first AR. Do you know of one?

Thx,

jem

Julius Carbinius
08-20-09, 16:22
I'm trading my AK tomorrow to buy my first AR. I intended to buy a DD XV. Now I'm not sure. I can't drop a lot of cash with trial and error AR buying so I need to get the most bang for my buck the first time.

Two questions-

1. What is a 'middy'?

2. I haven't found a thread for directing newbies on how to buy their first AR. Do you know of one?

Thx,

jem

This may help: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397

BTW: I ordered a BCM middy from Grant @ G&R Tactical