PDA

View Full Version : 870 Police + Surefire

TOrrock
02-03-07, 16:18
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Night%20Fighter/Nightfighter001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Night%20Fighter/Nightfighter004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Night%20Fighter/Nightfighter003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Night%20Fighter/Nightfighter006.jpg

LonghunterCO
03-02-07, 15:14
I like it. I have a 870 HD that I am looking to put a Surefire on. Is yours the 6 or 9V model?

TOrrock
03-02-07, 18:42
Thanks!

Mine's the 6 volt, no real need for the extra power or weight up front with the shotgun to go 9 volt.

Cesiumsponge
03-02-07, 19:41
If you want more power than the 6V system but don't want to get the longer 9V system, could I suggest the KL5 LED head on the 6V system? Its 100 lumens for 1 hour, then 3 hours of usable light thereafter. No bulb to break and just replaces the regular xenon head on the 618 series, plus saves you a battery and should weigh about the same for calorie counters.

I am not sure if someone has tried it before but I inquired with the Surefire Tech support and they suggested the KL5 for higher output and reasonable life with the 618 system. I'm ordering up the 618FA and KL5 this weekend and I can post an update if wanted.

Dave L.
03-02-07, 22:36
If you want more power than the 6V system but don't want to get the longer 9V system, could I suggest the KL5 LED head on the 6V system? Its 100 lumens for 1 hour, then 3 hours of usable light thereafter. No bulb to break and just replaces the regular xenon head on the 618 series, plus saves you a battery and should weigh about the same for calorie counters.

I am not sure if someone has tried it before but I inquired with the Surefire Tech support and they suggested the KL5 for higher output and reasonable life with the 618 system. I'm ordering up the 618FA and KL5 this weekend and I can post an update if wanted.

I'm interested!

LonghunterCO
03-03-07, 08:31

I am interested too. The sure fire weapons mounts have their shock isolated bezzles (sp?). I would think that the LED would be stronger that the conventional bulb (as far as resisting recoil). Did the tech guys say anything on that issue?

Cesiumsponge
03-05-07, 19:53
Ordered through Grant at GR Tactical. I'll try to post side-by-side images of beam output at various distances when they come.

Surefire tech didn't say how shock resistant the KL series heads are but since they suggested that I put one on an 618 unit, I assume they've tried it before. LEDs are also solid state and the gallium arsenide (light emitting part) is encapsulated in polycarbonate, acrylic, or some sort of solid translucent plastic. I believe Surefire uses Luxeon brand LEDs too, which is one of the high end LED companies, and Luxeon to my knowledge does a burn-in on some lines to weed out the bad ones (bad ones usually go immediately). I've never had an LED die under normal usage unless you try to lower the current limiting resistor and burn it out by running too much juice (don't ask).

I only have an LED Streamlight TLR-1 as reference as far as LED-based weaponlights and everything looks solidly SMD soldered to a PCB with large tabs for more holding surface. I would assume Surefire does at least just as well. I guess I'll find out soon :D

kbi
03-07-07, 10:46
Templar how easy is it to put the 618 on?

TOrrock
03-07-07, 18:46
Templar how easy is it to put the 618 on?

I had a buddy do it who has done it several times. With the spanner wrench he he has, it took.....maybe 15 minutes....not bad at all.

Cesiumsponge
03-07-07, 19:13
I installed one on my friend's 870P before. First time I used the spanner wrench that came with the Surefire and its too small in my opinion to easily torque the spanner nut down snug. Eventually the front grip loosened up after several hundred rounds so I made my own spanner wrench out of a piece of flat 1/8" steel used for bracing studs together (hardware store, something like $5). It gave more leverage and allowed me to tighten the spanner nut almost half a turn more than before. I also used a drop of nail polish (thicker than the loctite I had) to lock the threads as well to prevent future loosening. Disassembly and install of the Surefire itself takes under 5 minutes. The rest is dictated on how fast you can strip and reassemble your 870 :D

I wouldn't hesitate to suggest everyone try it themselves.

LOKNLOD
03-07-07, 19:35
spanner wrench

An AR barrel wrench works pretty well for 870 fore end nuts, two of the adjacent lugs fit good enough to crank down pretty good.

Cesiumsponge
03-07-07, 21:21
I have the multi-tool AR wrench with the 1/4" long spanner pins and mine couldn't work on the 870's. The Surefire 618 has the spanner nut recessed enough that you can't get to it with something like my particlar AR wrench. The synthetic 870HD front grip is the same way. I don't remember if the walnut front grip on the 870Ps are flush mount or recessed though, it's been a while.

LOKNLOD
03-07-07, 23:57
I have the multi-tool AR wrench with the 1/4" long spanner pins and mine couldn't work on the 870's. The Surefire 618 has the spanner nut recessed enough that you can't get to it with something like my particlar AR wrench. The synthetic 870HD front grip is the same way. I don't remember if the walnut front grip on the 870Ps are flush mount or recessed though, it's been a while.

Good point. I've only tried it on my particular synthetic fore-end, and it's pretty minimalist.

GunLovinTexan
03-08-07, 11:12
JUST FYI i had a tac star side saddle on my 870 HD and the thing fell off.

I cant tell if your is a tac star or not but its plastic thats why i mentioned it.

You might try loc-tite the screws down to see if thatll work. In my case i was so mad the thing fell off i just took it off and threw it away.

Rob

Joe Mamma
03-16-07, 19:08

I'm interested too. Thanks.

Joe Mamma

Cesiumsponge
03-16-07, 22:25
I started a thread as I've gone ahead and tried this combo. 100% plug-and-play. Read about it here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=43174&posted=1#post43174