PDA

View Full Version : Central florida shooters.....

sandman99and9
08-15-09, 10:20
Anyone heading to the range today or on sunday ?? I am looking to find some new range friends and do some quality shooting too. I am thinking about running down to Teneroc in lakeland.

s.m.

steeltoe
08-15-09, 11:58
Not today but keep me in mind. I'd be in for a trip to Indian River range as well. I just found out about tenoroc so its on my list.

sandman99and9
08-15-09, 13:24
I am in orlando but can drive to a good range on the weekend so travel is ok with me.

s.m.

ZDL
08-15-09, 15:33

HES
08-15-09, 20:17
West Central here. I normally rotate between Hernando Sportsman's, the 2nd Amendment Club and Dade City. Im planning on going to Manatee in October.

RogerinTPA
08-15-09, 23:32
Anyone heading to the range today or on sunday ?? I am looking to find some new range friends and do some quality shooting too. I am thinking about running down to Teneroc in lakeland.

s.m.

I normally head to Knight's shooting sports in clearwater. They will let you do most things, including full-auto. They also allow me to transition and draw fire and it's 15 minutes from the house. What's the deal on Teneroc? Range rules? Limits on Mag cap?, etc...If not too Nazi with the rules, I drive over and join you.

RogerinTPA
08-15-09, 23:43
Just found this. Good reviews popped up on Google. A million dollar range facility. Everything can be found on their website: http://www.tenoroc.us/

Mr.Goodtimes
08-15-09, 23:51
I found a new little range off county road 39 south. Its about 3 miles south of the Hillsborough County Sheriff's range. It's called "The Shoot Shack" I just went for the first time today. The guy that owns the place is really laid back. Range goes all the way out to 400 yds.

He was alright with me doing transitions, draw firing, reloading etc... I was shooting from under the little pavilion but, im going to ask him if i can shoot farther down range and practice shooting and moving etc next time if im the only one out there again.

He said nobody is ever out there all day mon-fri so i dont think it will be a problem, and i doubt heel mind.

I'm gonna start shooting out there regularly. The place has only been opened for about 2 months, real friendly guy. You can shoot steel out there, coke cans, paper, whatever you want.

HES
08-16-09, 00:59
The Shoot Shack? Got an address, URL, contact info?

sandman99and9
08-16-09, 08:43
I normally head to Knight's shooting sports in clearwater. They will let you do most things, including full-auto. They also allow me to transition and draw fire and it's 15 minutes from the house. What's the deal on Teneroc? Range rules? Limits on Mag cap?, etc...If not too Nazi with the rules, I drive over and join you.

Where is that range at in clearwater? little bit of a drive from orlando but if it's a good range that will not be a problem. Do you have a link to the web site ? I would love to get a few people together for a semi-regular weekend shoot to improve my skills and get to know some new friends.

s.m.

Mr.Goodtimes
08-16-09, 08:45
Shoot Shack Gun Range
16439 County Rd. 39 South
Lithia, FL 33547

Phone: 813-478-3378

BAC
08-16-09, 09:20
Tenoroc is good people. They regularly host shotgun-related competitions (skeet and the like), and as I recall that's their main focus. They have a covered pistol and rifle range, but bring your own seat to the benches because theirs suck. They have one area to shoot prone, and one to shoot standing; they cater to hunters, not action shooters, so no surprise here. "Rapid fire" will depend on who the RO is that day (I used to do it a few years ago, it really does vary).

It's been a while since I've been, but I've no complaints about the place except for the seats.

-B

Mr.Goodtimes
08-16-09, 09:31
just a heads up, shoot shack is defenately out in the country a little bit. the place is on a 600 acre ranch. there is also an archery shop on the property.

there are some animals wondering around, not on the range but close by. they had a pitbul out there that was really friendly and followed me around. i was a little apprehensive at first but, we made friends pretty quick and it was pretty cool.

DJK
08-16-09, 09:49
just a heads up, shoot shack is defenately out in the country a little bit. the place is on a 600 acre ranch. there is also an archery shop on the property.

there are some animals wondering around, not on the range but close by. they had a pitbul out there that was really friendly and followed me around. i was a little apprehensive at first but, we made friends pretty quick and it was pretty cool.

Wow!! That is only a 1/2 hour from my house. I know where I'm going next week.

RogerinTPA
08-16-09, 09:53
Where is that range at in clearwater? little bit of a drive from orlando but if it's a good range that will not be a problem. Do you have a link to the web site ? I would love to get a few people together for a semi-regular weekend shoot to improve my skills and get to know some new friends.

s.m.

http://www.knightshooting.com/

Good folks, I've been shooting there for years. Indoor range. The only problem is draw fire for those who haven't taken their advance pistol course. Rapid fire, F.A., Shoot anything up to .50BMG. You can even rent MGs their.

I'm am curious about Tenoroc. I'm probably going to drive over just for shits and giggles today, just to check it out.

gogetal3
08-16-09, 12:49
Anyone in the Central Fla area this is the place to be Central Florida Rifle Pistol Club. There are plenty of rifle ranges at various distances for you static I want to eat a sandwich while I shoot shooters, and an action range for those who train and compete in tac 3 gun, IPSC, IDPA. Competions are held every weekend for one event, and they even cater to Juniors. I think of it as my diamond in the rough. I'm able to compete with my AR and incorporate many shooting positions and tactical reloads etc in every stage of the competiton. We shoot steel and sometimes 3-d style targets out there. Very friendly and community driven range. Safety is of the utmost concern and although you don't need a membership to compete in the events you do to come up there and practice. Memberships do require a bit work to get and some $$ but it's soooo worth it.

http://www.cfrpc.com/about.html

Check out the events on the site. Next Saturday is the IPSC match. I usually compete with a small group of buddies. Anyone wanting to come with and check it out even compete it's like $13 for half a day of badass fun. Hit me up, and we can coordinate a meet over there. No need to be a member for this. It's a pretty big shooting community with people from all over central Fla competing.

10MMGary
08-17-09, 00:42
Central Fla here, also the shooting shack is pretty close(20 minutes maybe)to our home. I am also looking for others in this area to shoot with. Tenoroc is a good range in my opinion and the Manatee range is GTG as well. Shoot Straight Firearms on Hwy 301 in Hillsborough County has a indoor range for both long and hand guns. 100 yard max for long guns.

Mr.Goodtimes
08-17-09, 07:11
Central Fla here, also the shooting shack is pretty close(20 minutes maybe)to our home. I am also looking for others in this area to shoot with. Tenoroc is a good range in my opinion and the Manatee range is GTG as well. Shoot Straight Firearms on Hwy 301 in Hillsborough County has a indoor range for both long and hand guns. 100 yard max for long guns.

now that ive found the shoot shack, i will never go back to shoot straight, ever. i officially need them for nothing now.

RogerinTPA
08-17-09, 08:33

Sounds like the most viable option for training for M4C members in Central Florida, without all of the nazi range rules.

Frequency: How often do you guys want to get together a month?

HES
08-17-09, 09:57
Sounds like the most viable option for training for M4C members in Central Florida, without all of the nazi range rules.

Have you tried Hernando Sportsman's (located on US19, in between the terminus of the suncoast and SR50)? Ive been a whopping total of two times, but so far no range nazis. They also do two and three gun on the weekends as well as Cowboy and have some great facilities / courses, not just a firing line. IIRC their maximum range is 200 yards though.

Mr.Goodtimes
08-17-09, 13:01

i'm down for once a month, id love to do more but i just cant afford the ammo.

Have you tried Hernando Sportsman's (located on US19, in between the terminus of the suncoast and SR50)? Ive been a whopping total of two times, but so far no range nazis. They also do two and three gun on the weekends as well as Cowboy and have some great facilities / courses, not just a firing line. IIRC their maximum range is 200 yards though.

ive wanted to try hernando sportsmans club as i've herd its good, but its about 45 min from my house and my truck is in so so condition, so i try and not drive too far :mad:

10MMGary
08-17-09, 17:49
Depending on timing, I could do twice a month.

RogerinTPA
08-18-09, 17:46

No I haven't. I don;t think I've even been that far north on US19.:eek: I used to date a gal in NPR, but that's as far north as I've gone on that road.

All we need is a 50 yard range for a good 50/200 zero, and most shooting will be done within 25 yards.

RogerinTPA
08-18-09, 17:47
Depending on timing, I could do twice a month.

I shoot pretty much every weekend, so what ever you guys decide to do, I'm in.

sandman99and9
08-18-09, 18:35
Saturday or sunday, which is better for you ?? I am open for both days.

s.m.

stevenhyde
08-27-09, 14:10
Anyone going out this weekend?

I need a favor. I need to test fit my upper and lower on someone elses rifle to see if my upper or lower is twaeked. I know one is tweaked, Just not sure which.

Copied from my post on ar15.com

"
I got a stripped stag lower off gunbroker and a stag LPK.
Installed it and a 6-pos stock on the lower.

I then bought a stripped LAR upper.

The front pivot and pin work fine.

However the takedown pin wont go through the upper if the pivot pin is installed.
IF i try to install the takedown pin first, it will go with force(more force than im comfortable with using on my lower) through the upper but it wont go through the other side of the lower, seating it into place. I should note that its a rough feeling when it does move.

I tried the upper on another lower and its the same story. however the lower is the same brand from the same person.

I think the lower is messed up.
Im sitting in a chair.
If i install the pivot pin, turn the rifle upside down and rest the stock(cheekweld area) on one knee, with the front of the upper on my other knee. I can push down on the grip(which would flex open the lower) i can get the takedown pin in some, but not all the way.

I know one of them is messed up(maybe both) and needs to go back. im just not sure which.

If you have a range trip close planned, maybe you could help me out.

Steven"

Steven

sandman99and9
08-27-09, 18:36
PM sent..............

s.m.

CharlieMike
08-27-09, 20:02
I have a membership at Shoot Straight and I'm a probationary member at CFRPC.

Also, on Fridays at 17:00 there is a "Practical Tactical" shoot at the American Police Hall of Fame which is right down the road from the Kennedy Space Center. It is only $7

Tenroc is a little out of my range but let me know if you ever want to hit Shoot Straight, CFRPC, or APHoF (I work near it).

Mr.Goodtimes
08-27-09, 20:23

Also, on Fridays at 17:00 there is a "Practical Tactical" shoot at the American Police Hall of Fame which is right down the road from the Kennedy Space Center. It is only $7

Tenroc is a little out of my range but let me know if you ever want to hit Shoot Straight, CFRPC, or APHoF (I work near it).

whats this practical tactical shoot like?

CharlieMike
08-27-09, 20:59
whats this practical tactical shoot like?

They cordon off part of their 50 yard indoor range and set up a "shoot house" style course of fire by arranging temporary dividers.

They score you based on time, tactical movement and technique (use of cover, pieing corners, proper magazine changes, &c), threat identification and elimination, and sometimes accuracy. They used photo realistic targets and threats are eliminated by getting two good hits. You can use a rifle or a pistol or a combination of the two.

I've only been twice. The first time, they used targets depicting police officers, civilians, and bad guys in various situations. It up to you to determine which targets are no-shoots. Each of the targets can be up to about 10 or 12 yards away but they are probably more like 5 to 7 on average. After the "shoot house" scenario, we had to shoot at a NRA target with five small bulls eyes from about 7 yards.

My second attempt last week was almost identical but there was no bulls eyes at the end.

It is only $7 and since I pass it on my way home from work, it is pretty convenient. If you use a rifle, you have to have frangible rounds and their ammo is somewhat expensive.

I think it is less competitive and more of a learning opportunity. Everyone is really friendly and give advice freely. It worth the time and money if you're in the area. I'll be there again tomorrow at 5ish.

gogetal3
08-27-09, 21:13

I'm a member of CFRPC as well, joined in March. To be honest with all of the competitions going on every weekend IDPA, IPSC, Tac 3 gun, Bullzeye, long gun shoots, you name it I find myself out there every other weekend. The membership is nice to practice during the week which never seems to happen. But maybe now since I'm getting into the reloading scene I'll expend more ammo :D Great place to meet people of all walks of life. Great range. You'll find there are clicks though. Political shit but whatever. I'm there to train and enjoy it.

CharlieMike
08-27-09, 21:19
I'm a member of CFRPC as well, joined in March. To be honest with all of the competitions going on every weekend IDPA, IPSC, Tac 3 gun, Bullzeye, long gun shoots, you name it I find myself out there every other weekend. The membership is nice to practice during the week which never seems to happen. But maybe now since I'm getting into the reloading scene I'll expend more ammo :D Great place to meet people of all walks of life. Great range. You'll find there are clicks though. Political shit but whatever. I'm there to train and enjoy it.

Ya -- CFRPC is an interesting place. :) I took a a pistol course out there and I decided to join years later. With an SBR build, upcoming classes, and various other expenses, I think I've decided not to pursue full membership. Part of this decision is that I don't see myself being able to get there often enough to take full advantage of the range. It is kind of a hike from the Winter Park area.

gogetal3
08-28-09, 20:45
Ya -- CFRPC is an interesting place. :) I took a a pistol course out there and I decided to join years later. With an SBR build, upcoming classes, and various other expenses, I think I've decided not to pursue full membership. Part of this decision is that I don't see myself being able to get there often enough to take full advantage of the range. It is kind of a hike from the Winter Park area.

Now that I'm a member and am in the same boat as you about not getting there often enough, I might not renew mine next year.