PDA

View Full Version : Handguard choices for BCM 14.5" upper

Warg
08-15-09, 14:05
Sort of have a handguard dilemma...

I just ordered a BCM 14.5" upper and have a Magpul MOE handguard lying around that I was going to use. However, I'll need to pin and weld the FH on this one and in doing so will limit my choices of FF handguards in the future.

I'm looking for advice on what I should do. This will be a SHTF/fighting carbine that should be as light as possible. The options are:

a. Leave it as is and employ the MOE with the perm. FH. If desired, upgrade to a two piece DD Omega rail/KAC or similar later.

b. Purchase/install a different one piece FF rail, then permanently attach the FH. Sell or save the MOE for another carbine.

Naturally, b will require waiting until I get another handguard, installing the HG (removing/reinstalling the FSB) then sending to Adco to weld the FH.

Money is not an issue at this point and an don't need to divert funds for more ammo, other firearms, courses, etc. I very much appreciate the input!.

-Gene

PrivateCitizen
08-15-09, 14:38
I will preface for saying I have an unhealthy fascination with forearms …

I tend to waffle on what I like day-to-day but am always fond the DD M4A1 or 12.0 Lite.

Just a bit if a stray, have you considered the money spent on a high ticket rail could be spared and you could Form 1 the lower and get an SBR stamp. It would prevent you needing it welded and could swap out whatever you want whenever. (You of course may be adverse the paperwork or live somewhere it won't fly).

I finally went that route because I knew it was likely even if I decide on something I'd want to toy with it in 6 months. A welded FH kinda kills that.

IF I were gonna weld an FH on I'd pick the item that I most wanted. If that is a free float than do it now. If a free float or specific rail doesn't speak to you there are a lot of good 2 piece designs now as you mentioned that you can change out later (The DD being my favorite).

Warg
08-15-09, 14:49
I will preface for saying I have an unhealthy fascination with forearms …

I tend to waffle on what I like day-to-day but am always fond the DD M4A1 or 12.0 Lite.

Just a bit if a stray, have you considered the money spent on a high ticket rail could be spared and you could Form 1 the lower and get an SBR stamp. It would prevent you needing it welded and could swap out whatever you want whenever. (You of course may be adverse the paperwork or live somewhere it won't fly).

I finally went that route because I knew it was likely even if I decide on something I'd want to toy with it in 6 months. A welded FH kinda kills that.

IF I were gonna weld an FH on I'd pick the item that I most wanted. If that is a free float than do it now. If a free float or specific rail doesn't speak to you there are a lot of good 2 piece designs now as you mentioned that you can change out later (The DD being my favorite).

I'm a handguard whore too :D

I have considered the Form 1 route, but I move around from state to state so much that I'm reluctant to do so at this point. However, if I was going to assemble a SBR, I'd go 12.5 or shorter.

I do like DD rails and with the DD sights and Aimpoint mount, this would be a logical choice. Then I guess the question becomes if a two piece rail like the Omega is as good (or close enough) as a one piece design? My definition of good for this carbine would be tough and versatile. I'm not expecting this to be a 0.5 MOA range toy.

rychencop
08-15-09, 15:43
i would leave a SHTF rifle as stock and reliable as possible.

mark5pt56
08-15-09, 16:27
i would leave a SHTF rifle as stock and reliable as possible.

Leave it stock, use either a BFG wire loop or side sling and then a fsb mounted light and be done with it.

Omega_556
08-15-09, 16:55
You can install the MOE now and if you want a rail later you can always install a Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail.

I have two of the DD Omega 7.0 rails; one on a LMT 14.5 and one of a LMT 10.5 and I'm very happy with them.

I've fired thousands of rounds through the 14.5in upper and have had zero issues...