PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with LMT?

number1olddog
08-15-09, 19:30
Ive been reading threads on this website and ar15.com about people having problems with their LMT's. I have two that I have not fired yet. Should I sell them and buy a different brand or what?

bkb0000
08-15-09, 19:37
LMT is a top manufacturer. more people are buying ARs right now than ever before, and all manufacturers are producing more weapons than ever before. a very slight increase in problems, coming from completely inexperienced users that are often making modifications to their weapons before even firing, doesn't mean a manufacturer is no longer worth it's steel.

there's nothing wrong with LMT

texag
08-15-09, 19:38
Shoot them, they will most likely function flawlessly. If they don't, LMT has awesome customer service and will take care of you.

d90king
08-15-09, 20:10
I can't get mine to fail.... Not sure what others are saying on other boards, but mine run and run hard. My only complaint is that they don't put my brass in a nice pile like my 6940 does.

number1olddog
08-15-09, 20:16
Its not that I have had a problem with them yet. I have read threads about cracks in the staking of the gas keys, failures to feed, finish, and so forth. I was just wondering. I will be shooting one of mine hopefully tomorrow and hope all goes well.

Omega_556
08-15-09, 20:18
Many people who buy LMT carbines also buy them as components, the past several months components such as quality bolt carrier groups can be hard to come by, and who knows what all components they are putting in them thinking parts is parts...

Example when purchasing an LMT upper from Bravo Company it comes with no bolt carrier group, no charge handle, and no hand guard.

There is even a thread here from yesterday I believe from a guy who had an LMT and had a problem, turns out he bought it used, turns out it was the BCG not any fault of the upper or lower.

I have 3 lmt carbines and I am very satisfied with the quality and consistency of their product. Granted every company makes a lemon once in a while, but all in all LMT is good to go...

Abraxas
08-15-09, 20:19
They are horrible, LMT sucks, quick give them to me so that I may properly dispose of them:D.
Also since all guns are inherently evil, I will take any others that you might have, so as to keep society safe

bkb0000
08-15-09, 20:28
Its not that I have had a problem with them yet. I have read threads about cracks in the staking of the gas keys, failures to feed, finish, and so forth. I was just wondering. I will be shooting one of mine hopefully tomorrow and hope all goes well.

cracks at the stakes don't effect function, and neither does finish- and LMT finish does suck. Colt and LMT are the most reliable, durable fighting guns on earth, and worth their weight in gold- but consistently leave flash and toolmarks all over.

if you want fine finish, you're either going to pay twice as much for a Noveske, or buy from a manufacturer that compromises fine finish for poor quality, like Stag (very clean finish, cheap assembly and inferior materials).

Iraqgunz
08-15-09, 20:39
Not be an ass, but you are complaining about them before you have even shot them based off of what? :confused: I have seen other gas keys where the metal was slightly flaked or cracked after being staked and it's no big deal. A jewelers stone will take care of it in a hot minute.

Take them out, lube your weapon correctly, use some good magazines and then come back and report to us.

number1olddog
08-15-09, 20:42
I sold my complete rock river upper about six months ago. Since that time I have two LMT's. One upper which sits on the rock river lower I keep, the other is a complete LMT upper and lower. I dont know how its possible to like guns, ecspecially ar's more than what I do. Like most of you military guys here, I had the Colt in boot camp as well as my time in the Marine Corps. Upon completion of my 4 years in the military I have since been employed by the U.S. Govt and have carried a bushmaster every day that I work. I chose LMT by the rep you guys give it here and by other websites as well. I am sure they will both serve me well. And I also know there are a bunch of inexperienced shooters out there that cry when one thing goes wrong when they shoot. Me I dont cry I just want info. :D Semper Fi

Fireglock
08-15-09, 20:47
Not be an ass, but you are complaining about them before you have even shot them based off of what? :confused: I have seen other gas keys where the metal was slightly flaked or cracked after being staked and it's no big deal. A jewelers stone will take care of it in a hot minute.

Take them out, lube your weapon correctly, use some good magazines and then come back and report to us.

My reading comprehension may not be up to yours but it appears to me he was merely asking had LMT slipped from their pedestal.

number1olddog
08-15-09, 20:53
Could it be somebody understands what I was asking?

RogerinTPA
08-15-09, 21:12
Ive been reading threads on this website and ar15.com about people having problems with their LMT's. I have two that I have not fired yet. Should I sell them and buy a different brand or what?

Nothing at all. Detail inspect yours, to see if they are up to snuff and match the rumor mill. If all is well, press on. If not, send LMT an email and see if they can rectify the situation. As others have said, take the guns out, lube them up and shoot the piss out of them. After 1000 rounds, in a short period of time (read in a weekend), in each (to prove the weapons for reliability), get back to us. You want real deal info, come to this forum. Please don't pass judgment based on uninformed hearsay. We are more interested in YOUR first hand experience with a particular weapon. You currently have none with yours. FWIW, I currently own an LMT MRP purchased this past March. It's a great weapon. I normally run 5-10 mags through it during a typical range day. The trigger is actually smoother than on my Colts. Any manufacturer can produce a lemon and all things break.

number1olddog
08-15-09, 21:28
Ok I might not have shot 1000+ through my LMT's as I do look forward to doing by the way, but I do believe shooting other manufacturers ar's at least 2000+ in each weapon qualifies me in asking questions. I do believe this website is for asking questions the last time I checked? (as for other reasons) But I do appreciate you guys taking time to answer the only simple question I was looking for in which somebody stated was (is LMT slipping off their pedestal a little) And lastly, I do, absolutely without a doubt am VERY happy with my LMT's but apparently I have come off the other way.

RogerinTPA
08-15-09, 21:51
Ok I might not have shot 1000+ through my LMT's as I do look forward to doing by the way, but I do believe shooting other manufacturers ar's at least 2000+ in each weapon qualifies me in asking questions. I do believe this website is for asking questions the last time I checked? (as for other reasons) But I do appreciate you guys taking time to answer the only simple question I was looking for in which somebody stated was (is LMT slipping off their pedestal a little) And lastly, I do, absolutely without a doubt am VERY happy with my LMT's but apparently I have come off the other way.

Here, you are qualified to ask a question, whether you've fired 1 round or 1000 rounds. All we ask is that you asked a legitimate question. If you would have stated initially, if their quality has slipped, maybe you would have received different answers. Effective communication is key. Having said that, if you haven't detail inspected your weapons after purchasing them, and haven't fired them, you have no bases for a complaint. Especially if the rumor is from TOS, and not first hand knowledge.

number1olddog
08-15-09, 22:00
Ok your right Im wrong. You win I lose. By the way thanks for the input.:rolleyes:
I guess I hit a soft spot somewhere?

number1olddog
08-15-09, 22:00
LMT still excellent in my book.

RogerinTPA
08-15-09, 22:12
Ok your right Im wrong. You win I lose. By the way thanks for the input.:rolleyes:
I guess I hit a soft spot somewhere?

Not a matter of right and wrong, it's about slandering a top notch company with internet hearsay on internet forums. M4C's policy is, if you have a problem, take it up with the manufacturer first, because the internet has a world wide audience and may have a direct impact on that manufacturer, whether real or not. Perception is reality.

Your initial statement:

I have read threads about cracks in the staking of the gas keys, failures to feed, finish, and so forth. I was just wondering.

Not trying to stir the shit pot, but if you haven't had these issues, what's the problem?

Jay Cunningham
08-15-09, 22:20
rharris2163 has provided excellent mentoring in this thread, just what M4C expects from a Senior Member.

Jason Markert, please carefully consider the advice you've been given. Your questions are most welcome, but as always, responsible posting is highly prized here. Suggesting that LMTs QC is falling apart because you've "been reading threads" doesn't necessarily add up to much.

number1olddog
08-15-09, 22:38
I would have not gone with LMT if it wasnt for the info I received from guys like these. I didnt see my question as bashing LMT as I apparently have done. Let me try and say it better. LMT in which I do realize is a tier 1 top notch company or I would have not bought two weapons in which they make. I look forward to a lifetime of reliability and great service from this company. I see negative postings of other firearms like for instance the new ruger piston ar that came out but thats neither here nor there. Why would I bash a company that I just gave over 2000 to? And if there are any LMT reps reading thanks for a great, outstanding product and by the way I have sold the LMT reputation two 4 of my other friends who are currently LMT owners because of myself. :cool:

Rated21R
08-16-09, 00:57
They are horrible, LMT sucks, quick give them to me so that I may properly dispose of them:D.
Also since all guns are inherently evil, I will take any others that you might have, so as to keep society safe

Someone beat me to it. :D

jwinch2
08-16-09, 17:03
Someone beat me to it. :D

No kidding. I'll take another one.... or two...;)

Seriously, I spent a good year researching and trying AR carbines and LMT was the one that I chose based on a variety of factors. I have not regretted my decision for one minute. In fact, it is one of the few high dollar items I have ever purchased where I have experienced exactly zero buyers remorse. I don't see how you can go wrong with LMT. Especially if you are talking about the CQB MRP platform.

fdxpilot
08-16-09, 17:12
I have an LMT Defender I bought as a complete rifle in May. Since then, I have put almost 1000 rounds through it. Mostly XM193, both Federal and Privi, Remington UMC FMJ and 45gr HP, and some Privi M855. Used both LMT and C Products USGI mags, as well as 20 and 30 rd PMags. No problems with any of the ammo or mags.

I bought the LMT based pn the same info the OP did, although I have been using mine as much as time and ammo funds will allow. Obviously only a sample of one, but as far as I'm concerned, LMTs are GTG.

TehLlama
08-16-09, 18:52
Been trying to make my various LMT items break. No such luck yet.

C4IGrant
08-16-09, 19:39

What problems are they having that are not allowing them to function?

C4

number1olddog
08-16-09, 22:01
I got a chance to take my LMT to the range today and shot 10 full 30rd. mags through it. And like I thought I had 0 problems(it performed like a well oiled machine!). This trigger is awesome as well as the whole rifle. When I started this thread I was merely asking about problems other people were talking about in the past as well if anyone else had input about the things they were reading. I expected this rifle to perform and it did just that. I recommended this rifle way before I started this thread and now that my LMT is kind of broke in I still highly recommend this rifle to anyone looking for a very reliable AR sytem. :D

Littlelebowski
08-16-09, 22:40

Yeah, go for it. Great idea.

epf
08-16-09, 23:52
I guess that I take this post differently than most.

Guy hears some crazy confusing rumor at another site. We all know how much "noise" can go on other places.... that's why we are here.

Guy hears: "Made the decision to buy X because I got good advice, now I am confused." Where can I get an answer to what is real?

So he posts here for a view from people who know.

We were all noobs once (hell, sometimes I act like one now) We all picked up that first AR from the Armorer or even gun store once.

So the guy chose here to come for an expert answer, to cut through the noise.

Sounds like a guy you want around

RogerinTPA
08-17-09, 08:12

Guy hears some crazy confusing rumor at another site. We all know how much "noise" can go on other places.... that's why we are here.

Guy hears: "Made the decision to buy X because I got good advice, now I am confused." Where can I get an answer to what is real?

We were all noobs once (hell, sometimes I act like one now) We all picked up that first AR from the Armorer or even gun store once.

It's not the first time this kind of thing has happened, nor the last. That's why we make every effort to square away "internet hear say", and nip it in the bud. It has no place here. No one has been condemned, labeled, or marked. We welcome all to learn, contribute and to participate, constructively.

C4IGrant
08-17-09, 08:41

First, you have to look at the source of the info (BARFCOM). Then you have ask yourself these questions:

1. Did anyone complaining about LMT's BCG ACTUALLY have them fail?

2. Has anyone in those thread ACTUALLY heard of an LMT BCG failing?

The answer to both of these questions is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

C4