PDA

View Full Version : Modern warfare 2 NVGs

ballsout
08-16-09, 14:55
Not sure if any of you guys have played Call of Duty Modern Warfare, but the second installment of this game is coming out in November. They offer a prestige edition for $150 that comes with fully functioning Night Vision Goggles....

I wonder how this is when NVGs are pretty expensive. I also wonder how well they will work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSS12iY1X0

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/07/mw2-night-vision-prestige-rm-eng.jpg

wake.joe
08-16-09, 14:58
Deleted

Gutshot John
08-16-09, 14:59
Not sure if any of you guys have played Call of Duty Modern Warfare, but the second installment of this game is coming out in November. They offer a prestige edition for $150 that comes with fully functioning Night Vision Goggles....

I wonder how this is when NVGs are pretty expensive. I also wonder how well they will work.

It's a cheap toy, they offer them in kids stores too for under $100. They will work as any other toy, if you're asking if they're tactical...uhm no.

You can get real 1st gen NVDs for a couple of hundred bucks.

Rider79
08-16-09, 15:22
NVGs, big deal. What I liked is in one of the game trailers on youtube, you can see the guy doing a reload with a PMag. :)

kal
08-16-09, 15:43
baaahhh! Just a toy.

I'm more excited about the game.

It will be....beautiful.

ZDL
08-16-09, 16:27

bjw182005
08-16-09, 16:41
Nice. I want a pair of those!!! Ill make sure I put it to good use on my stalk through the woods with the super elite special forces of the airsoft world.

The game should be awesome though. I can't wait for that.

Gutshot John
08-16-09, 16:44
Someone once described 1st gen NVG as looking through empty sprite bottles smeared with vaseline.

Oh I didn't say I'd use one, but at least they're not a freakin' toy.

JSantoro
08-16-09, 19:43
Someone once described 1st gen NVG as looking through empty sprite bottles smeared with vaseline.

Under optimal conditions (half-moon or better), with a new or well-maintained tube, on alternate Tuesdays, presuming that Jupiter is in the 2nd house...

ryanm
08-16-09, 21:13
I remember being super excited about going from 5s to 7s!

m4fun
08-16-09, 21:27
Thats great. I just hope the Taliban doesnt buy a bunch. Certainly would be a step a head for some third worlders.

ryanm
08-16-09, 22:12
There are a whole lot of export restrictions on NVG, even if bundled with a video game. In fact, I'm betting they may not even release the NVG version because they might not have realized all the hoops they are about to jump through to do it.

11Bravo
08-16-09, 22:19
No shit; me too.
It was, well, like night and day.
Although I got along with the 5s pretty well actually.

Jer
08-16-09, 23:12
I loved Modern Warfare and World at War is crap IMO. As stoked as I am for MW:2 I have zero plans to get the NV goggles and think it's pretty lame they offer this package.

dookie1481
08-16-09, 23:38
NVGs, big deal. What I liked is in one of the game trailers on youtube, you can see the guy doing a reload with a PMag. :)

And there is an ACR!

Jay

Thomas M-4
08-16-09, 23:43
And there is an ACR!

Jay

And that's the only time we will ever get to play with one:D

dmanflynn
08-17-09, 00:15
Hopefully theyll have more diverse guns. Like the ACR mentioned before. I just want a few more guns that most people don't here about. Instead of just the staples like AK's M4's and Shotguns. I'm stoked about the game even though I don't have no dang time to feed my addiction:p I was lookin up though and I saw the bundle with the NV and I had to do a little double take and laugh:rolleyes: Some airsoft commando would have a field day, along with his UTG tactical vest. I have to say though, if I had had that when I was like 8 or 10 Id be a seal in disguise! :p

Be warned if your new to the series, it will become the most time intensive activity of the evening if not handled properly:D

bnanaphone
08-17-09, 08:51
And that's the only time we will ever get to play with one:D

You beat me to it.

Yeah, the trailer showing a C130 releasing angel flares to avoid a rocket strike... got me a little excited.

John_Wayne777
08-17-09, 08:54

That's because those aren't real NVGs. The ANVS-9 NVGs:

http://www.nightvis.com/images/shop/product_images/323/regular_anvis_9.jpg

...cost something like 10 grand a pop....so you aren't getting that in a 150 dollar game.

You can find some decent gen 2 Russian stuff for "reasonable" prices (the word "reasonable" meaning reasonable for NV) but it's still going to be a few hundred bucks at best. A buddy of mine bought a cheap gen 2 Russian NV scope for his garden protection rifle and I believe he paid almost 500 for it.

What you see in that picture is a toy, not actual NV gear. It's "night vision" the same way that a couple of cups hooked by a string are a communications system.

HES
08-17-09, 09:59
Being able to see was quite a treat, wasnt it?

Vash1023
08-17-09, 13:22
i have 2 gen one devices and they actually work great.

my bushnell spotting scope does 250 yrds no problem and u can make out clothing and weapons at that range.

JSantoro
08-17-09, 13:56
I submit that they are not Gen 1 devices, then. Doesn't matter how they're labeled, we've had vendors pitch that argument to us before, and it merely represents an errant set of test specs or a deliberate attempt at falsehood on their part.

Barring a page of technical jargon as to why that's the case, suffice to say that anything Gen 1 might make that kind of range if magnified (under optimal ambient lighting conditions), but most certainly not that level of clarity. I'm more likely to start spontaneously menstruating than a Gen 1 system is to make out basic facial features beyond about 50m.

There is a specific component added to the intensification apparatus between Gen 1 and Gen 2 that makes this so. If your gear performs well for you, fantastic and rock on, but it ain't no Gen 1. I can currently reach my arm out and pick up 3 devices from each generation, right now. It's technically impossible to attain that level of clarity without significant modification that would take your stuff out of a Gen 1 classification, anyway.

mmike87
08-17-09, 20:01
I wonder if these are just night vision like I have on my digital video recorder ... I assume there is some sort of IR illuminator and the digital sensor picks that up.

I figure that would be put together pretty cheap, and probably give them a range of about 20 or 30 feet.

poak
08-17-09, 20:56
I wonder if these are just night vision like I have on my digital video recorder ... I assume there is some sort of IR illuminator and the digital sensor picks that up.

I figure that would be put together pretty cheap, and probably give them a range of about 20 or 30 feet.

Yeah, that's exactly how it works. I've heard their range is a lot better indoors than out.

I'll be buying MW2, but I haven't decided on if I'll buy the edition that comes w/ the NVGs. Don't want them for myself, but I've got a 6yr old nephew that would like to conduct night ops with them.

Luke_Y
08-18-09, 07:13
It's "night vision" the same way that a couple of cups hooked by a string are a communications system.

^^ :D :D :D

mr_smiles
08-18-09, 09:26
There are a whole lot of export restrictions on NVG, even if bundled with a video game. In fact, I'm betting they may not even release the NVG version because they might not have realized all the hoops they are about to jump through to do it.

I'm pretty sure they're infrared and not tubes, so they probably aren't going to be under any type of export restriction.

mmike87
08-18-09, 09:32
Yeah, that's exactly how it works. I've heard their range is a lot better indoors than out.

I'll be buying MW2, but I haven't decided on if I'll buy the edition that comes w/ the NVGs. Don't want them for myself, but I've got a 6yr old nephew that would like to conduct night ops with them.

For KIDS, these are fully functional NVG's. The IR based night vision on my video recorder actually works very, very well within it's range. I played with it for a while when we first got it ... it was cool.

Obviosuly, these are plastic toys - but I am sure that some guy somewhere will add these to his "mall ninja" kit alongside his made-in-china ACOG knockoff.

RancidSumo
08-18-09, 22:35
The specified range on the actual product information says that they are good to 50ft. I'll be buying the regular edition.

dmanflynn
08-19-09, 00:17
For the kids it would be neat. Like I said before, if I had had these when I was six Id be in hog heaven with my .22 and camo:D a true black ops!

Cueball1897
01-01-10, 19:02
I have them, they are a toy...but a very very cool toy.

Eye strain is a bitch though.

Armati
01-02-10, 10:29
I doubt these are even Gen 1 surplus. More likely they are kid toys. They work like most modern IR security cameras and IR camcorders. They have an IR LED and the CMOS chip in the optical sensor can detect IR light. They actually work pretty well but they emit IR light where as the military needs passive image intensification.

You can do this same trick with a digital camera and your TV remote.

poak
01-02-10, 21:28
More likely they are kid toys.

Wait... so you're telling us the limited edition of a kid's toy is coming packed w/ an additional kid's toy and not genuine mil surplus?

That's just crazy talk.