PDA

View Full Version : 1911 TAKE DOWN ?

Pappabear
08-16-09, 15:28
I decided to clean my TRP today. I took out the spring, bushing, poped out the pin and went to slide off the slide, and it sticks. I have the beloved FLGR in it so bear that in mind if it makes a difference. Dont think it should.

What am I doing wrong? I watched four "You tube Videos", and I do the exact same procedure, except my slide will not come off. I even pulled out Ole Billy Wilsons video. Help out a fella!

What could be happening.

CoryCop25
08-16-09, 15:31
Having the same problem with my Kimber CDP. I was TOLD that the series 80 firing pin safety is bad and is hanging up. I did not take it to get fixed yet because money is tight. Drift out the main spring housing pin and remove the main spring housing. The slide should slide right off. Good Luck!

Pappabear
08-16-09, 15:33
Just took my Nighthawk apart in 20 seconds. I have always fought this TRP when I clean it???????????? I hope someona has the magic bullet.

Pappabear
08-16-09, 15:46
Corycop,

what is the mainspring housing. I took out the "Big Spring". Sorry for the ignorance , but it is what it is? Busted out the manual, the picture shows it tore apart so I cant really tell where it came from.

CoryCop25
08-16-09, 15:54
Remove the pin at the very bottom rear of the grip. Then slide the bottom rear of the handle off. It's the part of the handle that holds the spring for the hammer. Do you have a mag well on your pistol?? Remove the mag well. I bought my Kimber used (couldn't beat the price) and I actually thought it was supposed to come apart like that until I did some reading. I can take a Glock apart and troubleshoot all day with my eyes closed but 1911s are still a bit of a challenge to me. Good Luck!!!

Pappabear
08-16-09, 17:04
Corycop,

Thank you, I'll try that. I have taken it apart in past without that much work. Can't figure how its such an issue. I'll see what the "Smith" at the Gun range has to say. Hopefully I can get it done without having to "split an atom" everytime I want to clean it.

Vash1023
08-16-09, 18:56
if u removed all the stuff from the front then it should just slide off after u pull it back and remove the slide catch.

Vash1023
08-16-09, 19:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEBrkF0sMgI&feature=PlayList&p=EC947A627F06F58E&index=0&playnext=1

not an SA. but same first part of dis.

first 1:15 is all u should need.

9mm_shooter
08-16-09, 19:16
The SA TRP has no FP safety. It is not a series 80 pistol.

Pardon the stupid question, but did you remove the slide stop?

Abraxas
08-16-09, 19:18
Having the same problem with my Kimber CDP. I was TOLD that the series 80 firing pin safety is bad and is hanging up. I did not take it to get fixed yet because money is tight. Drift out the main spring housing pin and remove the main spring housing. The slide should slide right off. Good Luck!

There is a good chance that that is what is happening. I bought mine brand new, and had the same problem. Sent it in to kimber and got it back and have had no issues since. Something to watch out for though, a guy I talked to said that he was having that problem until someone pointed out to him NOT to hold the grip safety in while trying to take the slide off since that was what the firing pin block was hooked to. As for the issue with TRP, since it doesn't have the firing pin block I dont know what to tell you. The mainspring housing is the lower portion of the backstrap, here is a link to a pic of one

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/detail.aspx?ID=60

Sam
08-16-09, 20:08
Folks, please don't confuse the Springfield with Kimbers series II or Colts series 80. The Springfield doesn't have any firing pin safety mechanisms like the Kimbers and Colts.

I don't think removing the mainspring housing is necessary to remove the slide. Since he's having difficulty removing the slide, telling him to remove the mainspring housing will only make his bad day worse.

Papa:

The "big spring" you referred to is the recoil spring. When you said "poped out the pin", are you referring to the slide stop? If you have removed the slide stop, the slide should move forward. Try wiggle it, your guide rod might have got out of alignment and is blocking slide travel. Also the barrel link might have swung down and also impeding the slide from traveling freely.

Business_Casual
08-17-09, 09:07
It could be you feel it hanging on the disconnector. Push it past the disconnector (forward) and then it will come off.

ETA - it is all steel, you aren't going to hurt it with hand pressure.

M_P

Pappabear
08-17-09, 17:37
Thanks guys, I'm going to try again. Really wondering if I was holding onto the grip safety? Will let you know. Off to the safe..............

Pappabear
08-17-09, 17:52
I can move the slide almost an inch before it sticks. The barrel is free, the FLGR is free. I have yanked on that SOB hard. If I didnt love the gun so much, I'd sledge hammer it.
Yes Sam, I did pull out the pin. Like I said, I took my Nighthawk apart in minutes.

Business_Casual
08-18-09, 08:06
An inch? Sounds like the disconnector is sticking.

M_P

tb-av
08-18-09, 08:38
Is there a magazine installed?

Pappabear
08-20-09, 15:19
Took the gun to a gsmith. He was totally confused. Got it apart by tapping it with a rubber mallet. Cleaned and inspected it, still could not figure it out. It still would stick. On a side note, He said do not use Lube on it? I have used Wilson Combat lube on it in the past, anyone else agree with NO LUBE on your 1911?

Called Springer, they shot me over a label and its off to S.A. Great service!

shadco
08-20-09, 19:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEBrkF0sMgI&feature=PlayList&p=EC947A627F06F58E&index=0&playnext=1

not an SA. but same first part of dis.

first 1:15 is all u should need.

Good video except...

That's obviously not a Les Baer

MarshallDodge
08-20-09, 19:10
It sounds to me like your frame rails are a little wider at the muzzle end.

Took the gun to a gsmith. He was totally confused. Got it apart by tapping it with a rubber mallet. Cleaned and inspected it, still could not figure it out. It still would stick. On a side note, He said do not use Lube on it? I have used Wilson Combat lube on it in the past, anyone else agree with NO LUBE on your 1911?

I have never heard of not lubing your 1911. I take a Q-tip and place a light film of WeaponShield or Super Lube on all the contact points. The slide rails, barrel hood, and the end of the barrel where the bushing makes contact are the most critical areas.

RAM Engineer
08-20-09, 19:22

You need to find a gunsmith, because what you have is a doofus with a mallet.

If it is the link moving out of place and causing sticking, if that happens, turn the gun upside down, shaking it a little and try removing the slide again.

MarshallDodge
08-20-09, 19:38
If it is the link moving out of place and causing sticking, if that happens, turn the gun upside down, shaking it a little and try removing the slide again.

I was wondering about that as well but I assumed the gunsmith knew better. However, your second sentence described him better:

...what you have is a doofus with a mallet.

tinman44
08-20-09, 20:04
i hope this can be of help to someone if not the op

http://www.m1911.org/ReassemblyAnimation.htm

tb-av
08-21-09, 11:08
To the OP, did you ever put the gun back together and then simply remove the slide stop ( pin that you mentioned ).

If you do that, the entire top end will just slide off. Slide, bushing, barrel, spring and guide rod intact. That will keep everything in it's normal operating position as the slide is removed.

Pappabear
08-26-09, 13:26
Just an FYI, I can take my Nighthawk apart , clean and together with no issues. Something out of the ordinary was going on. I will post what SA says. I am very curious. None of this makes sense. I may have SA install some new Night Sights.

Anyone have SA put night sights on. The ones I have are marginal, generic versions. But I wonder if its worth getting a newer set?

Business_Casual
09-16-09, 08:28
So, was the problem found?

M_P

Pappabear
09-16-09, 11:53
MP,

Yes they said they did find the problem. They called me and told me right in the middle of a very hectic work day. You mentioned the disconnector I think in previous post. The girl read me what they did and it may have been the disconnector. I am having them put some staright 8's on it, so I should get it back this week. When I get it back, I will post the work done. I'm hoping its at home now, I'm out of town but get home tonight.

Spiffums
09-17-09, 06:57
I am not sure if he is still at CCA here but I took a Taurus (old steel model) with adjustable sights because I lost roll pin and Das Butcher made them fixed sights.

There are alot of du masses with hammers out their.

Pappabear
09-26-09, 08:01
The verdict was: "Drilled / Pinned 1911-A1 Ejector Pin"

Straight 8's look good. I have not taken it apart yet, but will fire today and strip and clean.