PDA

View Full Version : M&P trigger job/kit

Loner
02-04-07, 21:56
How significant is the improvement over the stock trigger? Also, does anyone offer a drop in trigger kit w/ a trigger job done to it already?

Robb Jensen
02-04-07, 21:59
How significant is the improvement over the stock trigger? Also, does anyone offer a drop in trigger kit w/ a trigger job done to it already?

With practice you can get the trigger down to 2.75lbs with all stock springs, with a really short reset, almost nothing overtravel.

rubberneck
02-04-07, 22:05
I had the chance to handle Jim Dalton's M&P at the Ct State IDPA match and wasn't greatly impressed. It was smooth by way too long for my tastes. I am sure that as time passes and more guys start to work on them that they will get better but I don't think they will ever surpass, or even equal for that matter, a good trigger job on an XD or a Vanek trigger job on a Glock.

AFAIK no one makes a drop in trigger job yet. Dan Burwell and Novak's Handgunner Outlet are the only guys that I know of that will do one right now, but you have to ship your gun to them. S&W as the end of November wasn't offering action work on the M&P to the public just yet. I am sure that they are now I just haven't spoken with them since then.

Loner
02-05-07, 02:41
gotm4, when you say practice how many rounds till it performs like that?

the reason for the drop in kit is bec i'm based overseas and though I can get the gun locally have no one knowledgeable to work on the trigger. Or is there a simple diy trigger job?

Robb Jensen
02-05-07, 04:11
I had the chance to handle Jim Dalton's M&P at the Ct State IDPA match and wasn't greatly impressed. It was smooth by way too long for my tastes. I am sure that as time passes and more guys start to work on them that they will get better but I don't think they will ever surpass, or even equal for that matter, a good trigger job on an XD or a Vanek trigger job on a Glock.

I've dryfired Ernest Langdons and Julie Goloskis M&P9 (Ernest did the trigger on both) Ernests is 2.75lbs and Julies was just under 4lbs. Both VERY smooth. The reset on Ernests was like an old S&W auto which is extremely short. If you want the trigger so that there isn't longer than stock take up for the first shot, get the long trigger job by Bowie Tactical, but they'll only give you a 4lb trigger. On one of my M&Ps I did a 3.25lb trigger and a 3.5lb on the other, both reset exactly the same distance as my STI 2011 and SA 1911-A1.

gotm4, when you say practice how many rounds till it performs like that?

the reason for the drop in kit is bec i'm based overseas and though I can get the gun locally have no one knowledgeable to work on the trigger. Or is there a simple diy trigger job?

It can perform like that on it's first round fired.
What I mean is with practice working with M&Ps and how many trigger jobs you've done on M&Ps, it's kinda like an acquired skill knowing what to do and where on it's parts.

There is instructions hidden on the Burwell site here (http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm), be careful and go slow, you can't replace metal once it's gone.

joe long
02-05-07, 10:56
Try and get your hands on one that David Bowie of www.bowietacticalconcepts.com has worked on. About 2.75 pounds with almost no reset at all for his "S" trigger job. I haven't played with one of his "L" setups yet.

Joe

UPSguy
02-06-07, 14:07
Try and get your hands on one that David Bowie of www.bowietacticalconcepts.com has worked on. About 2.75 pounds with almost no reset at all for his "S" trigger job. I haven't played with one of his "L" setups yet.

JoeHow did you get him to do one with that low of a trigger pull? He says not less than 4 lbs on his website?

joe long
02-08-07, 10:10
Oops. Looks like I need to learn how to type. I meant about 3.75 pounds. And that's a rough guesstimate, not actually measured with a scale. Point is, his work was freaking awesome. When I actually get around to getting an M&P, it will be going to David for a trigger job.

Joe