PDA

View Full Version : Hornady TAP .223 75gr for home defense?

Shotdown
08-16-09, 23:19
Is the Hornady TAP .223 75gr worth getting? I'll be using it for home SD. I have an LMT rifle.

SeriousStudent
08-17-09, 00:07
I load the 5.56 75-grain T2 version in the magazines of all my social guns.

It costs about a buck and a half a round. Very, very cheap, when you consider the price of failure, lawyers, bail bondsmen, etc.

Quality ammo is just the cost of doing business. Not talking down to you, just making a point.

One of my carbines is an LMT, and it feeds TAP with boring regularity.

Good luck.

Iraqgunz
08-17-09, 04:24
Shotdown,
That's what I have loaded for anti-social purposes. I know your are looking for some and I may have a line on it. I'll PM when I do.

dbrowne1
08-17-09, 10:40
I load the 5.56 75-grain T2 version in the magazines of all my social guns.

It costs about a buck and a half a round. Very, very cheap, when you consider the price of failure, lawyers, bail bondsmen, etc.

Quality ammo is just the cost of doing business. Not talking down to you, just making a point.

One of my carbines is an LMT, and it feeds TAP with boring regularity.

Good luck.

Great load with excellent performance, though I'm not sure the lawyers and bondsmen are going to charge you any more if you shoot someone with M193, DPX, or anything else.

Beat Trash
08-17-09, 15:53
Short answer, yes it is...

markm
08-17-09, 17:57
Shotdown,
That's what I have loaded for anti-social purposes. I know your are looking for some and I may have a line on it. I'll PM when I do.

Let's go shooting soon!

JHC
08-17-09, 20:09
I found about 140 rounds worth of this load (not FPD type) and thought I'd use it as my deer load and in emergency mags loaded. And I might. But dang, it doesn't group for shit in either of my N4s. My Recce and Carbine group BH 77 grain match into 1.5" or MUCH less every outing but this 75 grain TAP load is a 4" load at 100. I've seen Molon's accuracy tests so perhaps I got a bad lot or maybe two N4 barrels that just don't like it.

Indoors, doesn't matter much obviously. I'm kinda particular about my deer loads though.

Iraqgunz
08-17-09, 21:13
For sure. Trying to figure out my schedule. I'll call you in a day or so. Take care.

Let's go shooting soon!

SeriousStudent
08-17-09, 21:27
Great load with excellent performance, though I'm not sure the lawyers and bondsmen are going to charge you any more if you shoot someone with M193, DPX, or anything else.

I apologize for any lack of clarity. I did not think you would be charged more if you shot them with Hornady hollowpoints, or a Hellfire anti-tank missile.

Persons are often advised to do things to prevent possible litigation. A good attorney is worth every nickel you pay them, however expensive. I see good ammo as no different.

A good attorney can keep you out of jail. Good ammo can keep you out of a morgue.

Compared to the thousands of dollars I have paid attorneys in the past, a box of Hornady cartidges is cheap at twice the price.

That was my point, however poorly made.

jwinch2
08-17-09, 21:27
I am a big fan of Hornady TAP in the 75 gr. load. My LMT piston carbine feeds it with the same results as the other poster. 100% reliable. I also like the 75 grain black hills heavy match hollow point and have had good luck with Privi Partizan 75 gr. Having said all that, TAP is my preference for "social" use when I can find it, though I would be very comfortable using Black Hills for the same purpose.

My actual preferred HD load is actually 00 buck not .223. However, I currently have TAP loaded for that as well...

I don't see you being disappointed with TAP ammo...

Shotdown
08-18-09, 03:04
Thanks for the info so far guys. I've been able to find a good amount of .223 TAP. However, I'm trying to get a hold of a few guys that may have some 5.56 TAP and I'm trying to find out their price before I decide which route to take. One of the guys is currently in training in TX so I have to wait for him to get home. He says he has one box of each but I'm also awaiting the price.