PDA

View Full Version : Questions about building a SBR

Rated21R
08-17-09, 01:32
If one was building a SBR (say an 11.5 BCM build, upper, lower, etc.) at what poing do they need to submit the paperwork for the SBR? Which part can they not have or do they have to wait on the stamp for? I have been reading about NFA and trying to get it all sorted but just want to be sure. Thanks.

Iraqgunz
08-17-09, 04:15
Some will say that you shouldn't have the upper and lower(s) in the same place until the stamp is received, other will say no big deal. Basically I would suggest that you read through some of the info here and form your own opinion.

If one was building a SBR (say an 11.5 BCM build, upper, lower, etc.) at what poing do they need to submit the paperwork for the SBR? Which part can they not have or do they have to wait on the stamp for? I have been reading about NFA and trying to get it all sorted but just want to be sure. Thanks.

Rated21R
08-17-09, 11:21
Some will say that you shouldn't have the upper and lower(s) in the same place until the stamp is received, other will say no big deal. Basically I would suggest that you read through some of the info here and form your own opinion.

I guess what I should have asked is which part is going on the form? Meaning if I order the lower and other stuff and not the upper is the upper what goes on the form or can I order everything but the lower and when I get the stamp order that? Does that make more sense?

LOKNLOD
08-17-09, 11:28
I guess what I should have asked is which part is going on the form? Meaning if I order the lower and other stuff and not the upper is the upper what goes on the form or can I order everything but the lower and when I get the stamp order that? Does that make more sense?

The lower is the serial numbered item that you'll be registering with the ATF via the Form 1. You'll need to have the lower to submit the forms because it is the "gun" that you're registering specifically with it's serial number. At some point you'll need to get the lower engraved with your info (since you're becoming the "manufacturer" of the SBR at this point) so keep that in mind. I think it's much preferable to have it engraved prior to approval, because possession and transfer of the registered SBR lower becomes a bigger ordeal than just a standard lower? (someone else will need to verify the correctness of that).

The rest of the parts can all be bought at any time, and shipped directly to you, as they are not controlled items. Possession of the short barreled upper prior to approval is debatable as Iraqgunz has said, assembly prior to approval is a big no-no.

decodeddiesel
08-17-09, 13:37
If you want to be safe follow this timeline...

Purchase Complete Lower
Assemble with non-SBR upper and test fire at least 1000 rounds (you don't want to SBR an out of spec lower)
If using a Trust, establish trust with Quicken Will Maker, or Lawyer
Engrave Name (or name of Trust) on lower
Complete packet and send In Paperwork
Receive Form 1 back with stamp a few months later
Purchase Upper
Assemble, and enjoy!

I don't think it's a big deal personally to have the non-assembled components in your possession, and frankly there has been many threads (one last week even) on the topic. It tends to get heated quickly as opinions tend to vary greatly on the subject.