PDA

View Full Version : LWRC Gas Piston Review

halodog
08-18-09, 05:52
I just finished the first real test of my 14.7" M6A2 at a 3-day Tactical Defense Institute (Ohio) Tactical Rifle course. I was the only participant with a gas-piston weapon. I shot approx. 1200 rounds of 55 gr Fiocchi and PMC ammo from all positions and at distances up to 300 yards. Also shot a "jungle" trail course and in two live fire houses. Temperatures were in the high 80s/low 90s each day. I was using an EOTech 516 optic, RediMod w/ a Phase5 Tactical extended bolt catch release and was playing with a Tubb CS Buffer Spring and H3 Buffer. All mags were PMAG. Up to this point, I had already put approx. 1000 rds of 55 gr PMC ammo through this weapon primarily on a 100 yard range to zero the BUIS and optic - and to check the reliability of all the mags.
There were good times and bads times during the 3 days. The accuracy of this weapon was outstanding and a number of participants/instructors commented on the heavy barrel. Shot 4" groups at 200 yards.
Before the class, I replaced the springs on two mags that were not locking the bolt back after feeding the last round. As mentioned, I'd also changed the OEM buffer spring and buffer prior to the class. These 2 mags continued to give me problems - however they tested out ok on other weapons. As for the M6, I had a number of problems with double feeds when I went to rapid double and triple tap shots with the OEM H2 buffer. Fired round wouldn't exact and new round jammed behind it. I also had to bolt lock-ups where I had to hit the stock on the ground while pulling back the slide to clear. Both cleared ok. Later in day 3, I switched back to the H3 buffer and ran a series of double and triple tap firings with no problems. Didn't empty the mags on this, so I don't know if I had any lock back problems. I finally scrapped one pmag that was consistently not locking back no matter what buffer setup I used. I never shot the OEM buffer spring during the 3 days. By the way, I should mention that I kept the weapon clean and well-lubed. Only reason I was playing with the buffer spring is that I've heard the life of the OEM spring is not that long. I'd be glad to comment on gear observations as well (slings, mounts, vests, etc.)
I read a lot of "stuff" on online posts regarding gear, etc. but I often wonder if it based on a field test like these 3-days. Two thirds of what I've purchased in the past year was put to the test and deemed unfit for a practical environment.
Semper Fi

Stephen_H
08-18-09, 09:39
Is this a newly manufactured LWRC? It sounds as though you've got either a weak extractor or spring, a tight chamber, or some bad ammo.

Please contact the company; they are very responsive to customer issues.

LWRC International, LLC
815 Chesapeake Drive
Cambridge, MD. 21613
Phone: 410-901-1348
Fax: 410-228-1775

Stephen

jwinch2
08-18-09, 09:56
Several LWRC employees are active on their forums so that might be an option as well while you are trying to find answers. I have heard good things about their customer support over the last few years so I imagine they will square you away.

halodog
08-19-09, 22:29
Thanks, I'd planned on talking with LWRC. Yes, this is a newly manufactured weapon. I checked the extractor and it looks good. LWRC uses dual springs that are quite good.