PDA

View Full Version : PSA: New Jason Bourne Book Sucks

civilian
08-18-09, 10:51
I'm sure the author is an accomplished man, but if this is what it takes to write a book I may have to give it a shot. I'm about half way through it and will continue to read it only because I paid for the fricking book. First time I've ever wished I'd waited for the movie before reading the book.

Couple of points: No familiarity with the intelligence community as far as I can tell. NSA is running around doing all sorts of heinous stuff, but looking very close to law enforcement, to include rolling up on police officers and EMT's and taking over a crime scene. CIA is referred to as CI, which in the IC is used almost exclusively when referring to counterintelligence. Villain moves a bunch of weapons to a training site where he's preparing some big op. Normally not a problem, except the stash includes a couple of Apache's, and most curiously several LWRC 6.8 rifles. Guess I can live with LWRC rising in prominence and availability to where someone could get a good amount of them and run them into some foreign country, but generally the dude has no idea what he's writing about. It's clear within minutes he's done very little research on the subject matter. And then there's the writing itself, which is rather craptastic. Do yourself a favor and wait for the movie on this one - assuming it makes it that far.

jwinch2
08-18-09, 10:54
I'm sure the author is an accomplished man, but if this is what it takes to write a book I may have to give it a shot. I'm about half way through it and will continue to read it only because I paid for the fricking book. First time I've ever wished I'd waited for the movie before reading the book.

Couple of points: No familiarity with the intelligence community as far as I can tell. NSA is running around doing all sorts of heinous stuff, but looking very close to law enforcement, to include rolling up on police officers and EMT's and taking over a crime scene. CIA is referred to as CI, which in the IC is used almost exclusively when referring to counterintelligence. Villain moves a bunch of weapons to a training site where he's preparing some big op. Normally not a problem, except the stash includes a couple of Apache's, and most curiously several LWRC 6.8 rifles. Guess I can live with LWRC rising in prominence and availability to where someone could get a good amount of them and run them into some foreign country, but generally the dude has no idea what he's writing about. It's clear within minutes he's done very little research on the subject matter. And then there's the writing itself, which is rather craptastic. Do yourself a favor and wait for the movie on this one - assuming it makes it that far.

When ever i see authors carrying on a character or setting from a more famous author (it has happened with several of Tom Clancy's ideas as well) I am fairly confident it is going to be pretty horrible. Thanks for saving me the time! There are a ton of books out in the genre right now, few of them good. WEB Griffin has lost his mind with his Presidential Agent novels and a few others have taken a drastic turn towards shitty in recent years as well.

Cheers,

Nathan_Bell
08-18-09, 11:08
Considering how ludlam wrapped up the third book, I would have been surprised if it wasnt crappy.

AlphaTango23
08-18-09, 11:09
When ever i see authors carrying on a character or setting from a more famous author (it has happened with several of Tom Clancy's ideas as well) I am fairly confident it is going to be pretty horrible. Thanks for saving me the time! There are a ton of books out in the genre right now, few of them good. WEB Griffin has lost his mind with his Presidential Agent novels and a few others have taken a drastic turn towards shitty in recent years as well.

Cheers,

I appreciate the heads up. I can stand let downs like that.

sproc
08-18-09, 16:08
Villain [has] several LWRC 6.8 rifles.

markm was a consultant for this book? ;)

civilian
08-18-09, 17:36
LMAO. That means that I'll eventually get to the part where Bourne takes out a LWRC shooting villain whose gun goes tits up and subsequent analysis by Bourne points to the company making an inferior product...

markm was a consultant for this book? ;)

Palmguy
08-18-09, 17:48
Brad Thor and Vince Flynn are at the top of their game, IMO...good choices if you're into this kind of book.

BiggLee71
08-18-09, 17:58
Like another poster said,once Ludlum wrapped up the last book,it's hard for a new guy to come in and revive the story.

civilian
08-18-09, 23:10
Good to know Palm. New to the genre myself, other than a recent exploration of Clancy novels. Had just wrapped up the Cardinal of the Kremlin and needed something to pass the time at a restaurant and checked out the Borders next door. Figured I couldn't go wrong with Bourne, but man, what a let down.

Brad Thor and Vince Flynn are at the top of their game, IMO...good choices if you're into this kind of book.

jtb0311
08-18-09, 23:24

Alex Berenson as well. He, Thor, and Flynn are all both fairly good writers and good story tellers.

dewatters
08-19-09, 19:16
Ludlum was always weak on firearms. I remember one character who carried a Browning 7mm Mag as a sidearm.