PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on shotgun stocks and foregrips

jwinch2
08-18-09, 20:29
Hey everyone, I am considering a build of a couple of 870's and am shopping which stocks and grips I want to use.

I like the feel of the Hogue shotgun stocks and foregrips quite a bit but some that I have talked to suggest that the rubberized finish makes them sticky and hard to move around clothing/gear. Do you guys have any thoughts on that (those who have used them)?

Another option is speedfeed as the ability to carry shells in the stock itself is something that I find intriguing. It would allow me to avoid a shell carrier on the receiver and keep the whole system a little simpler which is what I would like to do.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

kmrtnsn
08-18-09, 21:04
Surefire. I like it, the shape limits the forward movement of the hand on the grip.

CoryCop25
08-18-09, 21:41
My 870 has a Surefire foregrip and Choate body armor stock (short). The shells in the speed feed stock tend to fall out during recoil. Just sayin'. I use a 3 gun gear 7 round nylon side saddle. They NEVER fall out.

jwinch2
08-18-09, 21:48
My 870 has a Surefire foregrip and Choate body armor stock (short). The shells in the speed feed stock tend to fall out during recoil. Just sayin'. I use a 3 gun gear 7 round nylon side saddle. They NEVER fall out.

Good to know about the speed feed stock. I wondered about that. I have a tacstar side saddle on my FN SLP and it works quite well so I will probably go that route.

K.L. Davis
08-18-09, 22:26
As mentioned, the Speed Feed stocks have a little quirk with the shells not staying in the stock... Overall, I have never been impressed with them.

I just got a couple of Hogue stocks and I have to say I really like them, seems like a great choice and the folks at Hogue are great to deal with!

Caeser25
08-19-09, 19:01
my 870 came with the speedfeed IV stock, stock and pistol grip, I hate it, I haven't got around to putting on a youth 870 on it yet due to BRD:o

wlptpd3
08-21-09, 17:49
We have seven (7) Mossberg shotguns at work with factory synthetic stocks and forends, 3 of them have the Speedfeed stocks with shell holders. They have been sent back to Speedfeed at least once for repair/updates. On my own personal 870 that I have used in a few different shotgun classes I have the Remington synthetic youth stock and use a Remington synthetic forend.

I originally cut down the factory wood stock and shortened/scalloped out the wood forend for easier acces doing reloads, Then I switched to the Hogue overmolded stock and it does become sticky during use. I finally ended up with the set up listed above and so far I am pretty happy with it, YMMV.

Alaskapopo
08-21-09, 18:00
Hey everyone, I am considering a build of a couple of 870's and am shopping which stocks and grips I want to use.

I like the feel of the Hogue shotgun stocks and foregrips quite a bit but some that I have talked to suggest that the rubberized finish makes them sticky and hard to move around clothing/gear. Do you guys have any thoughts on that (those who have used them)?

Another option is speedfeed as the ability to carry shells in the stock itself is something that I find intriguing. It would allow me to avoid a shell carrier on the receiver and keep the whole system a little simpler which is what I would like to do.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...
I have the Hogue because its light and it kicks a lot. I like the Knoxx spec opps stock the best followed by Speedfeed.

Buck
08-30-09, 22:41
I really like the speed feed youth length stock with the pistol grip but without the internal magazine...

B

TOrrock
08-30-09, 23:20
I've had Mossberg 590's, S&W M3000's, and Remington 870's with Speedfeed stocks over the years and not experienced them loosing ammo, BUT, the length of pull is too long for comfort for me.

I recently swapped the standard Speedfeed off the Remington 870 Police and went with a Speedfeed "Youth" buttstock....and it makes a world of difference in handling. Much more agile.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Night%20Fighter/Nightfighter004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Night%20Fighter/P1020834.jpg

As others have stated, the Hogue stock sets are top quality as well.

ryanm
08-31-09, 03:32
I have a variety of builds, so far I prefer the Shur-shot from Remington overall. I know its not as tactical as some would like, but it has a great cheek weld and is very comfortable to shoot, even on pump guns. I have a couple of Mesa Tactical builds with the Enidine recoil reducers which work pretty good, I have not tried the Graves system. I also have speed feeds which have been decent, I never use the shell holder.

For the shorter/folders the Sage is very hard to beat. I have yet to find one of the 870 Law Enforcement folders to try out for comparison.

The surefire foregrips are hard to beat for comfort, grip, feel, and overall utility. I need to order a Graves system to compare.

To add another 2 cents on the Remington shur-shot, I have a Mesa/Enidine with Emod stock on a Mossberg 500 build. When compared to the shur-shot stock on an 870--which has no built in recoil reduction---the Remington kicks less and is more comfortable. To further the comparison, that Mossberg in question has the ridiculous compensator as well which should help dissipate some of the energy despite its "tacti-cool" design. I am a firm believer in the shur-shot.

(The Design goal for that particular mossberg build was to create the scariest shotgun...ever. It sort of looks like a WW2 flamethrower)

NCPatrolAR
08-31-09, 08:40
I tend to use standard (no ammo storage) Speedfeed stocks on my shotguns. I tried the IV-S in the past and didn't care for the pistol grip. I'm much more of a traditional stock guy when it comes to my shotguns.

RWK
09-02-09, 07:59
Hogue Short Shot 12" LOP and a SureFire 618LFG forend.

matrxx
09-21-09, 15:31
DO you guy prefer full length stock or folding/adjustable stock?