PDA

View Full Version : NJ city considers adult curfew after crime spate

JSandi
08-18-09, 20:48
NJ city considers adult curfew after crime spate

8/18/2009, 4:38 p.m. EDT
The Associated Press
(AP) — PATERSON, N.J. - Curfews might not be just for kids anymore in one city in northern New Jersey.

Officials in Paterson are considering one for people of all ages in a bid to curb violence after a spate of deadly shootings.

Several experts say they believe it would be the nation's first curfew of its type to include adults. The state ACLU says it would open Paterson to legal action.

The curfew would last for two months and would bar people from loitering outside from midnight to 7 a.m. Violators would face up to a $2,000 fine and 90 days in jail.

Officials are still working to make sure the plan can withstand legal challenges.

If the City Council passes it Sept. 1, a second vote and a public hearing are needed for it to take effect.

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/national-19/1250631530119970.xml&storylist=jersey

panzerr
08-18-09, 23:51
It continues to amaze me how some Americans are willing to trade their freedoms for an illusion of safety.

cougar_guy04
08-20-09, 18:48
Papieren bitte . . . .

ST911
08-20-09, 22:12
Can't find the case cite, but last I knew, a high-ish court made case law that such curfews were no-go except in extraordinary circumstances. I.e. natural disasters, civil unrest/riot, etc.

Juvenile curfews get more latitude, but still get scrutiny.

SpankMonkey
08-21-09, 10:41
Hahahaha.... bunch of freedom robbing dumb asses... We can't fix the system so lets steal everyones rights.. What a joke.

Irish
08-21-09, 10:57
Absolutely no way will this come to pass without dire consequences.

bkb0000
08-21-09, 11:08
i assume this is a place filled with thugs and gang bangers and such...?

i don't know what to say for people like that. if my town enacted a curfew, and my fellow redneck townspeople rebelled, it would send a message that you cant do these kinds of things. but if these thugs and gang bangers rebel, they're just likely to call in the national guard. it would be seen as vindication that restrictive laws are, indeed, necessary.

tough situation.. i hope this idea gets shut down before it happens. bad news, no matter how you look at it.

9Y10C
08-21-09, 11:32
Too many people huddled together in one place and society as a whole won't hold lawbreakers accountable for their actions.

BiggLee71
08-21-09, 17:39
New Jersey is a police state.(not to mention their propoganda/indoc apparatus is quite effective).I have plenty of experience with that state as i have numerous relatives who reside there.My uncle,whom i'm visiting with tomorrow,retired as the head of internal affairs for the n.j state corrections and used to hang with the governor,is one such person who knows the "ins and outs" of their way of conducting business.startling to say the least.the constitution is pretty much a useless piece of paper in the eyes of their politicians.i guess thats why recent statistic's have shown that there has been an exodus of skilled,upper middle class families from jersey who are being replaced with welfare receiving wetbacks.

Luke_Y
08-22-09, 07:30
would bar people from loitering outside from midnight to 7 a.m.

I would think they should already have a city ordinance/law against loitering. Most cities do... Wouldn't that cover it? :confused:

DannyRand
08-22-09, 07:58
It is martial law by another name.

perna
08-22-09, 08:26
Paterson is not a good place to live. There are a few places in NJ that I would not visit and that is one of them. I am sure that every LEO that is member of this site and works in a bad part of town knows that they just cant deal with the problems when they need 2-4 times the police force that they have and are struggling to keep what they have now.

ST911
08-22-09, 19:46
It is martial law by another name.

No, it really isn't. Using such a moniker where it doesn't apply dilutes it's value. Save it for when it counts.