PDA

View Full Version : Boston's FBI SAC: Boston Police need Assault Rifles

ballistic
08-18-09, 21:22
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/08/boston_fbi_head.html

The top FBI agent in Boston said today that the Menino administration should revive a controversial plan to arm neighborhood officers with semiautomatic assault rifles, saying the scarcity of such weapons on the force makes Boston more vulnerable to a terrorist attack similar to the 2008 rampage in Mumbai, India, that killed 166 people.

Makes you wonder why the FBI SAC would make such a public statement while saying, "There is no imminent threat." An increase in "chatter"?

Once again, politicians stand in the way of common sense and cave to "community leaders".

sinister
08-18-09, 22:17
...and how many of the 9-11 guys got on the planes at Boston Logan?

ThirdWatcher
08-19-09, 01:20
"Police would have to meet with community officials to explain in detail why they would need such heavy artillery, adding that assault rifles could unnecessarily frighten residents.

"If I saw an officer with that gun, I would think, man, there must be something going down that we don’t know about for them to be taking it to that level."

What an idiot. The SAC is right. How can the sheepdogs protect the sheeple from an increasing number of wolves if they don't have the tools to do it?:confused:

perna
08-19-09, 01:59
I am glad I do not live in Boston. Seems they should just show them some video from the Hollywood shootout, I guess they missed that on the news.

noops
08-19-09, 12:19
And certainly the local citizens couldn't be trusted with such vile evil black rifles.

Jokes aside, having lived in Boston for most of my life, this kind of politics is par for the course. Thankfully I live in a more reasonable place now.

ballistic
08-19-09, 13:21
The more I think about this, the more I believe there has to be something to it. SACs just don't go out having press conferences that publicly embarrass a local police agency. They need approval from Washington and a good reason to do so, if not it's a bad career move. While the Boston FBI SAC said there was no imminent threat, I strongly suspect that they have enough intelligence or volume of chatter about a Mumbai style attack that raised alarm bells, and they went to Boston officials and warned them privately. Now they're covering themselves publicly so if something happens in Boston the FBI can show that they passed on the information they had about threats to Boston and warned Boston officials.

FlyAndFight
08-19-09, 13:31
The more I think about this, the more I believe there has to be something to it. SACs just don't go out having press conferences that publicly embarrass a local police agency. They need approval from Washington and a good reason to do so, if not it's a bad career move. While the Boston FBI SAC said there was no imminent threat, I strongly suspect that they have enough intelligence or volume of chatter about a Mumbai style attack that raised alarm bells, and they went to Boston officials and warned them privately. Now they're covering themselves publicly so if something happens in Boston the FBI can show that they passed on the information they had about threats to Boston and warned Boston officials.

That is exactly how I read it as well.

dbrowne1
08-19-09, 14:07
And certainly the local citizens couldn't be trusted with such vile evil black rifles.

Jokes aside, having lived in Boston for most of my life, this kind of politics is par for the course. Thankfully I live in a more reasonable place now.

It's gotten worse. I grew up there, and lets just say there's a reason I live in Virginia now.

dbrowne1
08-19-09, 14:09
"Police would have to meet with community officials to explain in detail why they would need such heavy artillery, adding that assault rifles could unnecessarily frighten residents.

"If I saw an officer with that gun, I would think, man, there must be something going down that we don’t know about for them to be taking it to that level."

If I saw a cop with an evil black rifle, I'd probably go chat with him about who made it and whether he likes the stock, what ammo they use, etc. But I've been told I'm "different.":D

Saginaw79
08-19-09, 14:25

Of course, Assault weapons are only made to kill many people rapidly and indiscriminately which is why the Police need them!

ThirdWatcher
08-19-09, 14:47
If I saw a cop with an evil black rifle, I'd probably go chat with him about who made it and whether he likes the stock, what ammo they use, etc. But I've been told I'm "different.":D

You mean "different" as in "law-abiding citizen"?:D

LE in this country changed on 9/11. I don't know anyone on NYPD but it's pretty obvious they are committed to protecting the public, even from terrorism (which truly is an act of war) and they have the tools to do it. Not allowing Boston PD to follow NYPD's example is really stupid.

The "for them (BPD) to be taking it to that level" shows a real lack of understanding the issue. This mentality will cost a lot of innocent lives in the long run. :(

perna
08-19-09, 15:07
It seemed to me that the police chief went to the FBI in order to get their opinion on the situation, to show the need for assault weapons. They already got free weapons from the Government but can not use them.

dbrowne1
08-19-09, 17:57

LE in this country changed on 9/11. I don't know anyone on NYPD but it's pretty obvious they are committed to protecting the public, even from terrorism (which truly is an act of war) and they have the tools to do it. Not allowing Boston PD to follow NYPD's example is really stupid.

The "for them (BPD) to be taking it to that level" shows a real lack of understanding the issue. This mentality will cost a lot of innocent lives in the long run. :(

I'm also really glad that they just advertised to the entire criminal and terrorist world that none of their patrol officers have rifles.

Blackjack78
08-19-09, 18:16

Patrol officers in NYC don't have rifles. Specialized units have rifles with other units having access to them by the truckload. IMHO, in the urban environment of NYC, I would prefer shotguns. I won't discuss TTP's for active shooters or related topics but I'm confident the deed would be done.

BT2012
08-19-09, 19:15
For some reason, politicians in the New England area are afraid to arm patrol officers with rifles. They forget it's their duty to protect the public and provide officers with the necessary training and equipment. When I was vacationing in California, from San Diego to Sacramento, I did a double take when I saw the patrol cars armed with both rifle and shotgun and this was the result of the Hollywood bank robbery, not from terrorism. Unfortunately, most politicians of today are only concerned for themselves. Politicians should be held accountable for their lack of response because officers will get crucified for failing to take police action. If there is another 9-11, and I hope there will never be another one, all liberals should be there to remove all dead bodies, maybe it will get through their thick skulls.

A-Bear680
08-19-09, 19:34
For some reason, politicians in the New England area are afraid to arm patrol officers with rifles. They forget it's their duty to protect the public and provide officers with the necessary training and equipment.
... (Snip for brevity).....

I will agree that some places in the northeast have exactly that problem.
Maine , New Hampshire and Vermont are different. Bangor , for example , would be a juicey target on somebodies' target list: Well known for welcoming returning troops and former SecDef Bill Cohen's home town. I think that Bangor can handle an emergency and the other towns up there can , too.
Driving from those 3 states to the rest of America reminds me of driving the East German autobahn from West Berlin to Checkpoint Alpha on the Federal Republic border.
I never even leave the Interstates from the time I leave NH till I cross into Pennsyvania.

BT2012
08-19-09, 20:00
gbear,

I've been to all those states you've mentioned and enjoy vacationing those locations immensly, but don't get me wrong, those states don't offer as much media coverage as NYC and Boston. Terrorists will be looking for maximum media coverage which was why NYC got hit twice. The only way politicians will start arming patrol officers with rifles is when terrorists start attacking on a frequent basis such as in Israel. Since 9-11, the public and politicians have become complacent. and gone about their business.

ThirdWatcher
08-19-09, 20:03
Patrol officers in NYC don't have rifles. Specialized units have rifles with other units having access to them by the truckload.

I assumed this was the case. My point was that there are properly equipped and trained officers readily available to protect the public from terrorism.

Blackjack78
08-19-09, 20:06
gbear,

I've been to all those states you've mentioned and enjoy vacationing those locations immensly, but don't get me wrong, those states don't offer as much media coverage as NYC and Boston. Terrorists will be looking for maximum media coverage which was why NYC got hit twice. The only way politicians will start arming patrol officers with rifles is when terrorists start attacking on a frequent basis such as in Israel. Since 9-11, the public and politicians have become complacent. and gone about their business.

I tend to agree with you but having a rifle would not have stopped or prevented the two WTC attacks. Having rifles and SMG's did stop the 1st attempted suicide bombing of a subway in 1997. In that case, two perps from Mideast had made pipebombs that they had planned to use in a suicide attack at a Brooklyn subway hub. ESU made entry into the apt they were in and shot both of them. The location of their apt was a short distance of a mosque that served as a AQ fund raising location(1983). This was during the Soviet invasion in Astan.

Heavy Metal
08-19-09, 20:18
I bet the Boston Chief asked the FBI to sound off so as to give him political cover with his superiors.

A-Bear680
08-19-09, 20:30
I tend to agree with you but having a rifle would not have stopped or prevented the two WTC attacks. Having rifles and SMG's did stop the 1st attempted suicide bombing of a subway in 1997. In that case, two perps from Mideast had made pipebombs that they had planned to use in a suicide attack at a Brooklyn subway hub. ESU made entry into the apt they were in and shot both of them. The location of their apt was a short distance of a mosque that served as a AQ fund raising location(1983). This was during the Soviet invasion in Astan.

I agree 100% on 9/11. And the NYPD certainly seems to be able to solve problems.
From I understand many of the regular street LEO's in Mumbai had recieved very little firearms training , at least by US standards.

Cold Zero
08-19-09, 21:40
ESU made entry into the apt they were in and shot both of them. The location of their apt was a short distance of a mosque that served as a AQ fund raising location(1983). This was during the Soviet invasion in Astan.

What is known as the Al FAROUQ Mosque, on Atlantic Ave. You would think you are in another country in that area. It is still there today and no doubt under constant surveilance.

Blackjack78
08-19-09, 22:11
What is known as the Al FAROUQ Mosque, on Atlantic Ave. You would think you are in another country in that area. It is still there today and no doubt under constant surveilance.

It's been there a very long time.

QuickStrike
08-20-09, 04:52

Chances are, when the EBR is out, that they might be a little too busy to talk. :p

John_Wayne777
08-20-09, 07:58
For some reason, politicians in the New England area are afraid to arm patrol officers with rifles. They forget it's their duty to protect the public and provide officers with the necessary training and equipment. When I was vacationing in California, from San Diego to Sacramento, I did a double take when I saw the patrol cars armed with both rifle and shotgun and this was the result of the Hollywood bank robbery, not from terrorism. Unfortunately, most politicians of today are only concerned for themselves. Politicians should be held accountable for their lack of response because officers will get crucified for failing to take police action. If there is another 9-11, and I hope there will never be another one, all liberals should be there to remove all dead bodies, maybe it will get through their thick skulls.

I would argue that part of the reason is the anti-gun culture pushed by the politicians in the north east...especially those politicians who wear the white shirts and a badge. They've succeeded in creating such an atmosphere of idiocy that even when police shoot somebody who needs to get shot the community is up in arms about it.

Caeser25
08-20-09, 17:26
I would argue that part of the reason is the anti-gun culture pushed by the politicians in the north east...especially those politicians who wear the white shirts and a badge. They've succeeded in creating such an atmosphere of idiocy that even when police shoot somebody who needs to get shot the community is up in arms about it.

a couple weeks before that nutjob shot those 3 cops here in Pgh back in April, a cop shot a suspect that tried to run him over with his car, the media hung him out to dry, since April there's been atleast 3 more incidents, 2 this week, the media hasn't made a peep.

dbrowne1
08-20-09, 19:05
They've succeeded in creating such an atmosphere of idiocy that even when police shoot somebody who needs to get shot the community is up in arms about it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of those folks don't have "arms" that would enable them to get up in arms about anything.:D

It's really a sad mentality. On the one hand they want and expect the government to deal with everything for them, and on the other they don't want the government to have the tools to do it. It goes way beyond just the gun issue, it's a much broader mentality that these people have.

lonewolf21
08-21-09, 01:32
Wish they would come to my town. We've done just about everything to convince our chief the need for patrol rifles. He's "considering" it. Which translates to temporarily appeasing us until he retires next year. Cowardly bastard. I pack mine anyway, just in case I have to fend off the city by my self. Hope it works out for their dept.

BT2012
08-21-09, 20:48
I tend to agree with you but having a rifle would not have stopped or prevented the two WTC attacks.

You're right but if we had the x-ray and metal detector in place with the addition of police officers patroling the airport with rifles or subguns like Israelis do at their airport, it would be a big deterrent. But on the first attack back in 1993, the security was very lax back then which allowed the van to enter the garage below.

BT2012
08-21-09, 20:56

JW,

No arguments here and you're 100% correct. The white shirts with badges are more concerned with their promotion than doing what's right. Even the politicians join the bandwagon to score points with the public to try to get re-elected. It's all about self-serving, dog-eat-dog world.

John_Wayne777
08-22-09, 12:12
JW,

No arguments here and you're 100% correct. The white shirts with badges are more concerned with their promotion than doing what's right. Even the politicians join the bandwagon to score points with the public to try to get re-elected. It's all about self-serving, dog-eat-dog world.

Politics is politics...

It's just a shame that the guys on the front lines end up on the pointy end of all this nonsense. The cities they serve and protect don't deserve them.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
08-23-09, 10:41

Blackjack is right on that. But that little victory almost didn't come about. And surprisingly didn't really make the news much at all. The gentleman who provided the intel for this only spoke arabic and was booted from the precinct in which he attempted to report it due to language barrier....it went something like...blah blah blah BOMB blah blah blah...so he made another attempt at a different precinct and a translator was located. Supervisors even asked for unmarried ESU volunteers as it was expected there would be casualties. When they breached, they took down several men.. I forget the total count, but the last gentleman was in the process of detonating an IED when he was killed.

Problem with NYC is they don't have enough people out there with access to these weapons to do much. I don't want to divulge too much due to the sensitive nature of it all but political hacks like Bloomturd and the idiot commish are too anti-2nd amendment or too anti-common sense to arm patrol cops with any type of long guns. I fear that sooner or later people will pay the price for their politics-as-usual bull..not just boys and girls in blue. :mad:

EvilSpeculator556
08-23-09, 21:52
Sorry police no gun for you unless the citizens can own them too. :D