PDA

View Full Version : Finish Touch Up Kit?

VA_Dinger
07-02-06, 16:46
Hello, I'm looking for a small do it yourself finish touch up kit. I have a few small parts that are going to be modified soon and they will need refinishing. I have a 1911 ambi safety that’s getting modified for Crimson Trace grips and a Troy front flip-up sight that’s getting modified into a more standard AR style sight. I'm not really worried about refinishing the complete part, just the bare metal.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Stickman
07-02-06, 17:06
You would do better just refinishing the entire piece with Norrells or KG. Touching up small areas is pretty much confined to paint. With a thermal coating, at least you have solvent resistance, and protection that won't wear like the cheaper paints and finishes.

CapnCrunch
07-03-06, 12:09
Stick hit the nail on the head.

If you want something to just "touch up" other parts, then buy a craftstore paint pen. I've got a blue one and a white one that I use to mark my screws and crap, and it holds up pretty darn good.

BravoCompanyUSA
07-03-06, 12:15
If the parts are steel, the Brownells Coldblue works pretty good.
I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted the part to look like new, but it does cover bare steel enough for "duty" use.

Heavy Metal
07-04-06, 20:15
Stickman,

I tried the K-Phos this weekend.

For small parts (I did a trigger group today, a blued AK trigger group)

1) Rough with 330 grit sandpaper.

2) Apply K-Phos with a small paintbrush.

3) Airbrush with some Satin KG Gunkote.

Gave a nice tough finish and a nice looking piece.

I refinished an Arsenal SLR-105A1(AK-74). The stock paintjob sucked.

I stripped to the grey phosphate primer and used K-Phos to touch up raw areas where the single stack magwell was opened up.

Then I refinished with Satin KG Gunkote.

Replaced black NATO furniture with Plum K-Var Warsaw Pact length stuff.

I am very pleased with the final product.

I used Norells Colt Grey-Black on the Trigger/Hammer pins and the Rear sight to keep them grey.

Hobbes
07-04-06, 21:47
If the parts are steel, the Brownells Coldblue works pretty good.
I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted the part to look like new, but it does cover bare steel enough for "duty" use.

I use coldblue as well for anything that shows bare metal. Works pretty good, seems to resist rust okay. The bluing almost never matches the original finish though if that matters.